Jambands.ca

Radiohead

LJFH

Totally love em. I was a much bigger fan of the first two Pablo Honey and The Bends than I am of OK Computer and onwards.... But they are really killer. I have a couple of sweet shows if you are interested.

BTW, I wouldn't count Kid Rock in for any Radio head B+P's. Has anyone seen his newest video.... something about being a Mofo..... anyways there is a clip of him on the can, and he wipes with Radiohead toilet paper. Is that some kind of really deep rock star hidden meaning?

Sean

I have tried SO many times to like Radiohead. They are appreciated by so many people who's musical opinions I trust very much. Unfortunately they just don't do it for me. I have no idea why.

Same thing goes for U2. EVERYONE on the planet loves U2. Doesn't matter what genre of music they're into. I just don't get it. I absolutely despise U2. Never saw what was so great about them.

Maybe I'm just odd. I dunno.

Guest Low Roller

Radiohead is one of those bands that you either love or you hate. I don't think there is a middle ground...

Every album is different, and hard to compare against one another. Kid A is a brilliant experimental album, and has some of the most haunting songs I have ever heard.

I've seen Radiohead three times in concert, and the 1997 Ottawa show is perhaps the best show I've ever been to.

Guest Low Roller

U2 has this strange appeal with the demographic that still worships the radio, but refuses to succumb to all the poppy bullshit.

Personally I liked their early stuff, but ever since *shudder* Discoteque came out, I haven't been able to give a hoot about them.

I saw them in Montreal on their last swing, and can't say I hated the show, but it didn't do much for me either.

Hell, if a band can get over on three cord songs, all the power to them. They are doing something right.

Aw hell, I can't even convince myself... fuck U2.

My sentiments exactly Ms. H and Low Roller....U2 blows. I can't stand when bands sell out and become a part of the mass marketed "POP in a CAN" type stuff. It is overplayed. overkill....when will it be over already! hahahaha

Radiohead is all the sheets to the wind, love that band.

Tommy Yorke sings like a bad-ass, truely soulful. Just him and an acoustic can give me shivers.

OK Computer is one of the best albums I have ever heard and Exit Music For A Film is one of my all-time favorite songs.

Having said that, the bass player for U2 isnt very good (or, I havent heard him do anything that has impressed).

Sniff for Treyter to pipe up once he sees this topic............There aint too many bands around like Radiohead!

I can't give one specific favorite cause I love them all too much.....but a couple I like to listen to a lot are Climbing the walls and Bullet proof. but there are so many to choose from...so good. He is my ultimate voice.......

Radiohead good. The most original band in existence today. True pioneers.

I've always disliked U2, even back in the day. And that video with the football shit - what's up with that? Aren't they Irish??

Bono has to get over himself...

First off, I gotta say Radiohead may have saved my life a few times. They are a default ,go to, if I need to be inspired by some different music.

Here's the thing I really dig about them and someone up there said this already; they really are pioneers. They explore corners of not just rock, but music in general that no one has yet. Not to mention, the intangiable emotion in their music that seems to draw the same out in me. It's really interesting to watch my students and they're listening habits. And in an unofficial study, it seems to me that the most interesting ones are embracing Radiohead in the way that I embraced Floyd in my teens. Now I'm not saying they ARE the new Floyd, but I'm more speaking of any music that made you listen, that you studied, revisited, constantly found new things and yet had no idea what to expect next. For some, jazz. For some, the Dead (for me, that came a little later) For some, Phish. You get what I mean?

Anyway, short story long, Radiohead is good and anyone who thinks different can answer to the Karma Police.

Radiohead is definitely one of the most interesting "popular" bands of our time. The fact that they can completely change the entire style of the their music mid-career, and still maintain a very large following, is something to be proud of. I had the privelege of seeing their outdoor show in Barrie last summer, and boy, what a treat. I can't think of a show that has exceeded that ... maybe the 32 min DMB jam comes close, but that was something. I agree with you Booche, Thom and an acoustic.. yeah! As for the best singer in the world, he's good, but I'm gonna have to go with Eddie Vedder on this one... I'm a die-hard Pearl Jam fan... ever since I was 10 years old. Can't wait for the next tour and album. Ciao.

Hey Ms. Huxtable. You'll be pleased to know that outspoken hardcore legend Henry Rollins hates U2 too. I heard him on Howard Stern's radio show some time ago trashing U2, especially Larry Mullin and Adam Clayton. He called them: " The worst rythmn section in rock ". Stern asked Rollins what kind of bands he liked to listen to growing up. Rollins said, to paraphrase: " I liked going to see the Dead. Jerry Garcia was a great guitarist. I love bands that can play ". Rollins always surprises me.

Anyway, I like only a handful of U2 songs: All I Want Is You; Bullet The Blue Sky; New Year's Day; Sunday Bloody Sunday; Bad. I do like Radiohead, but only when they feel the urge to rock.

Guest Low Roller

It's hard to pinpoint my favorite Radiohead song. Album-by-album I'd say that Blowout, Street Spirit, Lucky, Everything in its Right Place, and I Might Be Wrong are my favorite songs. There are a lot of great B-Sides as well like True Love Waits, Talk Show Host, and Killer Cars.

Radiohead songs are like Pokemon: Gotta have 'em all!

Always thought Radiohead was a band worth some attention, but (being a victim of Attention Deficit Disorder) I was never able to give them a fair shake... I love everything I've heard by them, but haven't heard nearly enuff to give them due credit. I think scottie is right in saying that they can be compared to Floyd. No one will ever replace Floyd, however.

As far as U2 goes, I've always been lyrically drawn to them and I appreciate Edge's simple, yet effective technique but I fell off that bandwagon after Rattle & Hum... their political pretense, mixed with their marketing acquiescence started to get old... then they began dressing up as women (ugly women at that) and catering to the dance bar mentality.

You know, talent walks when money talks.

i dont dispies u2 at all - though i stopped paying any attention to them musically after maybe joshua tree? (actually being that i'm not sure, i probably stopped paying attention before that) - there is definitely nostalgia, and i think he can definitely sing - and i like the edges quiet prescence in general

its easy to say that bono should get over himself, (and i can totally see why for sure) but then you walk that shakey ground of trashing people who are out there trying - know what i mean - throwing rocks at people who expose themselves - he thinks hes identified a way to make the whole world a better place and is busting his ass to try to make it happen - i cant fault a guy for trying like that even if he does look a little full of himself

charlie, i am in the exact same radio head boat...

jamoie - henry rollins said that? thats funny, hes the best

best singer in the world? i like that idea, i'll go make it a question of the day...

Quite right h! Despising a band/ company/ state of mind is of no use...ignoring them on the other hand does a world of good.

I wouldn't ever knock Bono (man, these hokey names... he should just change it back to John Mellon Cougarcamp) for his political participation, but when accompanying glossy pop music, his voice loses some credibility with me. When he does what he does with the G8 and issues of globalization, I'm more than willing to mirror his thoughts. Just don't put them into some dance bar riff...

and seeing as the thread is about them, I'll just say "RadioHead"

adios