Jambands.ca

Bonnaroo Fest Traffic Jam

backbacon

-

Bonnaroo festival stirs up traffic jam

GEORGE WALKER IV / STAFF

Interstate 24 effectively became a parking lot yesterday near an exit for Manchester, a small town that will be the site this weekend of Bonnaroo, a three-day outdoor music festival that begins tonight.

By LEON ALLIGOOD

Staff Writer

What's the ballyhoo about Bonnaroo, the three-day outdoor music festival that begins tonight near Manchester, Tenn.?

Well, yesterday it was less about mind-bending music and more about headache-pounding traffic. Interstate 24 at times effectively became a parking lot as tens of thousands of music-hungry fans closed in on Bonnaroo central, a 500-acre farm a few miles from the freeway.

Authorities in Coffee County reported it took several hours for festival-goers to depart the interstate from a line of cars that stretched for miles both east and west.

''It is a mess. When you've got that many people going to the same place and there's only one little country road, there's going to be backups and delays.''

Authorities said the traffic situation is expected to be about the same today as the balance of the festival-goers arrive.

Despite the stress and the heat, everybody was cool, said Amy Jones, an administrative assistant for the Manchester Police Department.

''These kids are all behaving themselves — haven't heard word of any trouble at all,'' said Jones, who said the traffic was beginning to back up when she took her daughter to day care early in the morning, even though the Bonnaroo campground did not open till noon.

''This is a big thing for a town the size of Manchester. I mean, we have about 8,000 people, and about 10 times that many are coming here at the same time,'' Jones said.

--------

KK: wish I was stuck in that right now though. [Frown]

I wish I was there too. Kinda reminds me of Alligator Ally in The Everglades for the New Years Show 2000. ( not the actual highway)We partied for 8 hours almost in our cars just waiting to get in.The traffic was crazy but all fun:D [big Grin][big Grin][big Grin]

I want to be there again. I'd do it in a heart beat [big Grin][big Grin][big Grin]

Well everyone, this is what you have to look forward to as age creeps up on you.

Too much of a hassle for me, give me the smaller venues ANY time. I gave up on the big festivals after Oswego, but I wanted to wait until after Cyrpess to for that (I didnt have the cash back then).

I just cant justify how it could be worth it (for me). Sure, there has NEVER been this many bands in one place that I would want to see, but festivals are more like a 'greatest hits' package, than a KILLER album.........(that is just an analogy).

I will get the tapes though and I am hoping that everyone there is enlightened by fantastic music.

From JamBands.com (a nicer read, I hope everyone has a great time with little to no hassles)

MANCHESTER, TN - Everyone knew to expect it, but it didn’t make the waiting any easier. Traffic was backed up for several miles in both directions on I-24 in Tennessee yesterday as fans began arriving to the much-anticipated Bonnaroo music festival. “It took us about 9 hours to go the last 40 miles,” says Andy Baskin, who drove here from Chicago. “It sucked, but everyone was feeling festive along the highway and we were all in the same boat. I’m just psyched we’re finally here. This place is incredible and everyone is so friendly.”

Once inside the festival grounds, many fans flocked to “Centeroo,” a town square of sorts that features arts and crafts, eclectic food stands, massage parlors and an enormous arcade tent, complete with a rocking 80s jukebox. There is also an outdoor movie theater, which showed Grateful Dead concert videos, Widespread Panic’s “The Earth Will Swallow You” and Led Zeppelin’s epic “The Song Remains the Same.”

Thus far, the vibe is overwhelmingly positive. Music begins later this afternoon. Stay tuned...

Wouldn't it be neat if festivals like this (or suitably equipped cadres of attendees & friends) could put on "satellite" festivals: you have the main grounds with masses of people, but broadcast/link other grounds with at least audio if not audio/video? (This thought was kicked off by Booche's comment about getting the tapes of the festival. I was thinking you could put on a "taped" version of the festival a couple of weeks later by getting a bunch of friends in a field with a big PA blaring the tapes of the festival.)

Aloha,

Brad

"Baby wont you carry meeeeeeeeee..."

Yep its Florida gator-country all over,my buddy just e-mailed me from his laptop and says for sure that 50% of the people will miss the first 4-5 acts. + Cops in TN. are the SH*TS!!,I remember at Mus Island for WSP they checked EVERYCAR....yep...still wanna be there...

Chewie,

Nope, no fourth. I think we should keep it that way. TC said we could take his car. With just three of us we will have more room for our gear. I reckon we'll need it.

Carrgo was wondering if he could get a ticket for the Pine Knob show. He won't be going to Deer Creek but would like to go to Pine Knob. He wanted me to ask you since I would be talking to you.

g' day