Jambands.ca

Who's Up For moe.down?

bradm

After having successfully talked me into going to Herbie (successful because I ended up going, and because it was a great night), I'm taking The Sloth's advice and am going to moe.down. A lot of moe., along with Galactic, MMW, Jazz Mandonlin Project (w/ Jon Fishman) and 'way more, and only about a 2-hour drive away.

Tickets are US$60 (incl. camping) until July 1, after which they go up to US$75 (until Aug. 1). There's a US$15 delivery charge for each order, along with a US$5.50 "convenience fee" for every ticket. I've got space on my credit card for some tickets (the max # of tickets per order looks like 10, so that's the most I'll order; with me and Sloth already in, that leaves 8 spots), so here's the deal:

I'll be placing an order tomorrow after noon. If you want a ticket, E-MAIL ME at "bradmcmail@yahoo.ca" before noon, Friday, June 28. Cash transfer to be done when I get the ticket(s) to you.

Aloha,

Brad

Sinced I missed out on Bonnaroo, and summer is here I'm really Jonsin' for some summer festival action. So... Looking at my busy summer schedule, it appears as though labour day weekend is free. I'm thinking moedown may be just the perscription I need.

Just wondering if anyone has been to moe.down before? I'd love to know what the scene and camping is like before I make my final decision.

I know The Sloth and gentlemonkey (IIRC, gentlemonkey's heavily into moe.) have both been, but since they may not be here soon/often, here's what The Sloth told me last night.

Last year it was pretty small, like 2500 people (I'm not sure how big it'll be this year). You can get really close to the stage, or head up onto the ski hill, which apparently a lot of people were using for freakin'-out purposes.

The vending is supposed to be pretty good, with a beer tent, food even at breakfast, and prices that aren't at ripoff level.

That's about all I know.

Aloha,

Brad

I hit Moe.down last summer. It was a great festival! Intimate, great bands all day and night, fun camping scene. It all takes place at the base of a ski hill really close to the border. The stage itself is set up at the bottom of a ski run with trees bordering either side... the sound is awwwwesum! There is a small stage where there is usually something funky being thrown down all day. A wicked micro-brew, called Magic Hat, sets up on the hill near the stage and sells reasonably priced tasty pints (and you don't miss any of the show lining up to get a brew). The band is also really accessable all weekend. If you roam around you might catch Al playing a kids show in the early afternoon. There is an anual charity golf tourney that goes down and they set up fun contests. The party rages on all night with plenty of balloons littering the lot by the end of the weekend. Last year this van pulled up and set up a huge soundsystem and the dude djed grateful dead all afternoon as everyone was getting primed for the shows. As you can no doubt tell, I had a wicked good time last year and i haven't even begun to describe the music! Soulive were the highlight for me (other than 3 nights of moe.!). A nice Sunday afternoon of The New Deal was pretty sweet as well. We did get heavily rained on the first night but no worries if you are properly prepared for camping. The line-up this year puts last years to shame. No probs getting tix at the gate last year but with the number of great acts they have playing this year, it might be wise to get your tix in advance! Moe.down is a great way to end off the summer. See y'all there!

The only minor hitch is your car is about 50 yards from where you camp (not that far at all but having a little red wagon or just driving up to camp ground and dumping you shit off before you get your bracelets helps with dragging all that beer around).

The camp ground is a nice field surrounded by trees (so if you get there early you can camp by the tree line) and the only thing seperating the stage and campground is about 50feet, some trees and a gate where people give you the one of the most half-assed searches ive experienced (my buddies brought in outrageous amounts of their own beer).

Its a really well run festival where moe. doesnt make a cent and everything gets put into either the other bands or the festival. They really cant fit more than 2500 in the campground so that really keeps the festival small.

Basically they do alot of the little things right:

-portolets get cleaned in the morning and at night everyday

-cuz it rained the first night last year the crew spent hours relaying hay on the all the paths so you never got muddy

-beer is sold for 3bucks a pop, egg on a bagel was 2bucks, fresh orange juice was a buck

-the sound system is the equivalent of a sound system that would be used for a 18000 person event (this was according to moe sound guy) all I know was the sound was crystal and perfect volume (if you enjoy watching the bass make your shirt move).

-the furthest you are ever going to be away for them stage (unless you want to go freakout up the ski hill) is about 10 people away

-I never heard of a single band that played the side stage but every single one of them was good

-its only a 2 hour drive from Ottawa (its even closer if you are in Kingston)

Bradm check your pm

It says no dogs allowed but someone told me that if you show up with a dog there is a small campground on the other side of the stage and they let you camp there with the motor homes. I cant guarantee its gonna be that way this year.

Honestly the only deterents I can think of is if you dont like moe. (you're gonna hear about 10hours of moe.) or dont feel like crossing the border.