Jambands.ca

Nero/Ferris July 1 aftershow impression

dancingfool

I was new to both bands.

Ferriswheeler warmed up the afternoon (not that it really needed any more warming up, but as the weather got hotter during the evening, one never knows) well enough with their set, sadly without any dancing. The mood seemed just a tad off for it, and I was lazying in the couches at the back with bradm, just absorbing the good vibes. I'll be back for more of that good stuff.

The BBQ burgers were, I must say, perfectly cooked and quite tasty. And no, it wasn't just because I hadn't eaten all day.

As for the second act:

I like Nero.

No more need be said, those who were there (nice to meet more of you!) can vouch.

I can most certainly vouche for that dancin' in the street fool, dancingfool.....................

It was almost as fun to watch him dance as it was that white shirt, black shorts dude at CTMF.

"Know what i'm sayin'........Raaaaaysang"

I am serious here, Davey-Boy, Tungsten and Punk. This boy DANCED!

And there I was, telling Df that Nero wouldn't be as danceable as, say, D&T or EtH...I was wrong, and I apologize to Nero...I hadn't reckoned on just how much Df can get into the music and out of himself...he's like a shaman or sufi, channeling the inherent danceability in any music into a force that takes its own continuously-varying and evokative shape; prior to this, to me, Nero was good sway-and-shuffle music, but not pogo-like-a-madman music. Not anymore. I now see the danceability that's always been there, and for that, I thank you, Dancingfool.

Did you remember to buy the CD?

Aloha,

BRAD (Been Raving About Dancingfool)

Tisk, tisk, tisk BradM. nero is my favorite band to dance to. No one makes me move more than them. It's been that way since the first time I heard them, and gets more and more so with every show. I HAVE NEVER DANCED HARDER then I did at CTMF! Holy sheet what a show. (More in the CTMF thread).

Sadly, I missed Ferris Wheeler. We were still driving home from the festival. But I did manage to catch the burgers (yum and a great idea) and nero (yum again [Wink] ). Despite how run down I was from the crazy weekend and long drive, despite how hot, sweaty and uncomfortable I was, despite how I said I wasn't even up for going.....those nero boys had my booty moving! Some great trippy, space in there too. Loved it.

The pogo-like-a-madman act was strictly due to the drummer's intense groove and layered textures. Yowza. At times I didn't know how to move, with the different rhythms each of the drums, bass and guitar. Other times, I tried to cop at look at Ms Hux' booty to glom some simple moves which still elude me. I wish I could just shuffle along sometimes... I guess I'm not a shuffle demon.

For those wondering, I have danced harder than Nero last night, twice: at my second Drums and Tuba show at the Z, and one of the Enter the Haggis shows somewhen...

So Nero was indeed less intense than they can be? I figured, seeing them near zombies when they walked in before the show. This promises for my next time.

And yes, I bought the CD.

quote:

Originally posted by dancingfool:

The pogo-like-a-madman act was strictly due to the drummer's intense groove and layered textures. Yowza. At times I didn't know
how
to move, with the different rhythms each of the drums, bass and guitar.

That's one of the things I like about this kind of jam/groove music: oftentimes, there are different threads of rhythm, and you can hook up with whatever one(s) suit you; if you miss a beat in one thread, you don't have to worry, because a beat in another thread will be along shortly.

quote:

Other times, I tried to cop at look at Ms Hux' booty to glom some simple moves which still elude me.

I can think of far worse booties to look at and use as shuffle instruction...

quote:

I wish I
could
just shuffle along sometimes... I guess I'm not a shuffle demon.

I think there's a continuum (or distribution), here. You're out at one end, Ms. Hux is somewhere in the middle, I'm down near the other end. (That's too simple, or course; when I get inspired, I move up the curve to Df-space.)

quote:

For those wondering, I
have
danced harder than Nero last night, twice: at my second Drums and Tuba show at the Z, and one of the Enter the Haggis shows somewhen...

You were hittin' pretty hard at GTB / D&T, too.

quote:

So Nero was indeed less intense than they can be? I figured, seeing them near zombies when they walked in before the show. This promises for my next time.

I've noticed them being...I don't know...angrier...compared to before the tour. I've heard them play more intensely (Nero's Eve, for example), but they seem to be putting up more of a wall of sound these days.

quote:

And yes, I bought the CD.

I'd be interested in your thoughts on it, as a stand-alone work, and in comparison to what you heard last night.

Aloha,

Brad