Jambands.ca

Single Phil in row e 103 available right now

PassedOutGuy

i have a feeling they might just open up the pavillion to anybody for the phil show.

they did that for the 97 further show when the black crowes headlined.

we were told by dead management while we we boogying on the lawn that the show turned into GA!

i remember running down to the 100s during bucket and getting to see our resident rock star do his thing!!!

I can't imagine the venue opening up the gates.

There would probably be some people a little annoyed by the fact that they paid 40 bucks for a seat up front, and then 10 buck ticket holders run in and scootch them out of the way.

There are rules for those that like to move up front... "Never stand in front of someone shorter than you"

I always follow that, but I remember being at the GA situation of Trey in vermont, when a very tall and very wasted dude pushed through and stood right in front of this short girl that was beside me.

i'm not sure....i have this wierd feeling they have only sold about 500 tickets, if that.

Doubt Phil's gonna come back any time soon. I mean hell, the Mullet fest which is the David Wilcox, Kim Mitchell, and Guess Who has sold out the complete allotment of 10.70 tickets. As well as all seats.

Guess the jamband scene, unless being Phish, itsn't as strong as we'd like to think.

Worst was then they cancelled the Galactic show at the Opera House last year b/c of low advance ticket sales. Even though there may be poor advance ticket sales, promoters have to understand that there are two types of ticket purchasers (when it is understood that a show will not sell out).

First kind is the mail order, call on the first day type of buyer... the person who wants the best seat in the house.

Other kind is the person who can't plan anything in advance, let alone their next meal. Most people I have been talking to lately know that they are going to Phil, but have yet to purchase a ticket either due to financial reasons (ie: they won't have cash until the day of) or from being a little lazy and knowing that the tickets will be there the day of the show regardless.

I think it is horrible to cancel a show due to poor advance ticket sales. Although financially it might not be the wisest thing for a band to play to a less than packed house, it still leaves a fan feeling a bit cheated when a show is cancelled for that reason.... it feels like the money is coming before the music.

The reality of Phil's would-be lack of advanced ticket sales for the upcoming Toronto concert is that the majority of the people at the last Phil/Dylan show were there to see Dylan. With that, look for around 3-4 thousand to show up for next Tuesday. When Phil hit the stage 2 years ago, non-Phil fans were curious at first, then the majority headed to the exits - looking forward to their office job in the morning. I was as pissed at the so-called real music lovers then as I am now. Dyaln was good, but Phil was the best.

I agree with M that there are (at least) two types of ticket purchasers ... those who buy in advance, on the first day, hoping to get the best seats possible, and those that wait until (close to) the day of the show, either because they don't have the cash early, they have unclear plans, and/or they are hoping for a deal.

As soon as it became clear that Phil tickets would be easy to get on the day of the show, lots of people decided to wait to purchase them, imho. I have talked to lots of people at Frontier Town and at other places who are most likely going to the show, but who have yet to purchase a ticket. I think that there will be lots of tickets sold on the day of the show, and I would be very surprised if someone will be able to show up at the box office and buy a $10.70 ticket near show time. But there will probably be plenty of tickets available in the $20 to $30 price range, as well as some people with extras looking to unload them.

I would guess that they've sold 3000 tickets or perhaps more so far, with some sold at all the different price levels. If you check the $10.70 tickets on ticketmaster you will see that they are near the back of the 400's ... much further back than when they started selling tickets for $10.70.

It must be extremely stressful for a promotor when this happens. The people in the music business have to make money, as do the bands, and it must be hard to sit and watch as ticket sales trickle in rather than flow in. And I'm not just talking about big shows, I'm also talking about smaller events like the CTMF's at Frontier Town, the Toronto JMP show, the Galactic show that Mary mentioned, etc. It is difficult to make a living playing the music that we all love to listen to, and it is hard to make money promoting the music that we all love to listen to. Unfortunately, if people can't make some money doing it, they won't do it, because they'll have to spend their time and energy on something else that pays the rent and puts food on the table ... that is reality.

I hope the amphitheatre phils up for the phil/moe./soulive show, because the energy created by a full venue usually makes for a much sweeter show, and because I'd love to see a show of this magnitude back in Toronto.

Peace, Mark

Still, promoters and booking agents should be realistic as to where they book a show in each market. Phil and Friends play at the 2000 seat Fillmore in Denver, CO. I remember a Boise show being downsized. Seems kind of weird they would be booked at one of the largest venues in Toronto.

A smaller, indoor show would have been more like it, especially with Darien coming hard on Toronto's heels.