Jambands.ca

Smoking Cigarettes..

bouche

It will all disappear. As you start seeing those lovely oysters come out of your lungs, you can almost feel the accomplishment.

Name each one, and that will keep your mind off of what created them. If you need help with names....might I suggest THIS SITE.

I stayed away from all of the smokers I knew for about a month. That was sort of easy, living in Smiths Falls. I just stayed here. After about a month, the efforts became easier. Anytime I craved a smoke, it would seriously pass within a minute or so and I would feel good for not caving to the craving. I guess a short attention span can help.

I used to smoke a lot. (pack n' a half per day for 12 years) and I quit cold turkey 2 years ago and never looked back. After I quit, I got reeeeeeally sick a few times - virus after freakin virus. I think it was mainly because my immune system was shocked from the sudden nicotine deprivation. The de-tox phase is quite interesting. You'll notice that your farts get very foul and you'll be hocking oysters like bouche said. After 3 weeks or so, the need for nicotine is completely gone and it becomes a psychological battle from then on.

The weirdest thing for me was realizing how big a part of my life smoking was. I almost felt I had to re-invent myself afterwards - no more 'smoke-breaks'. It really changes your social life - more than I thought it would...

I still have the odd moment of thinking I want to have a smoke - but then I think of how I'll reak of it, have to pay outrageous prices daily, have that cough/laugh thing like old leather-faced bingo ladies, etcetera etcetera.....

good on ya, GM

cheers

That's funny GM...I just quit today and I'm scared shitless.

I drink alot of coffee...i might have to slow down on that as well--doesn't smoking even that caffeine buzz out?

Feels like it at least.

Anyways see you thursday or friday night GM and we'll see exactly how weak and pathetic we really are.

I'd bet you on who could last longer without one but your a fucking shady, cheating, conniving bastard and i'd never believe you anyways because i'm a pessimistic, distrustful, evil shadow of a man [Razz][Wink]

well...when i'm out of smokes at least! [big Grin]

I am proud of you Monkey man. I think just by telling everyone on the Sanc, you are taking a great first step. The more people know your intentions, the more support you have (and the more people you will disappoint by sucking on the cancer sticks again).

I smoked for 9 years. The greatest thing I ever did was quit smoking. The day I quit (cold turkey) I joined a gym. The first day I went, I hoped on the treadmill and after 3 minutes (no exageration), I was dizzy, short of breath and wondering if I could ever do this. Within a month, I was running for a half hour, my lungs were giving my body extra oxygen, my skin was clearer, I had more energy, my food tasted better (I didn't need to put hot sauce on absolutely EVERYTHING) and I genuinly felt stronger as a person for beating this thing. I even got sick less than previous years.

The benefits FAR out-weigh the peer pressure, the routine and the habits. You are smart enough to know that. You have to value yourself and your relationships enough to want to be around for a long, long, healthy lifetime!

I also found that dispising cigarettes helps a lot! I just indoctrinated myself into thinking, "If I take even ONE drag of that disgusting thing, I will die!"

Enough preaching. Sorry. Good luck, you can do it!

YO Dude. Good job on kicking the habit! I too was a smoker.....BradM is right for sure. Identify and break habits that lead or generally include smoking cigs. I always found not being able to smoke whilst pounding brew was a major hurdle. Also, I always enjoyed having one right after a nice toke. Those will be your tests, young Jedi. You could always just smoke more ganj [Eek!][Roll Eyes][Razz]

yay! good for you. it gets better, really. after a couple of months of coughing up lung... but you'll feel remarkably free.

you seem to be in fairly good spirits though!

try to hang out with people who dont smoke for a while, that really helps not being around it.

Congratulations, gm, and good luck.

The bass player I jam with went on Zyban, and is doing fine. You actually start taking it while you're still smoking, then stop (it's not a nicotine replacement, it just stems the cravings). It's a long-term (months) thing, though, and needs a prescription. (Actually, quitting under a doctor's care is a good tip, too, as your doctor might be able to figure out what's best for you, whether it's Zyban, the patch, the gum, or cold turkey.)

One thing is to change the bits of your routine that include smoking; if, say, you wake up and immediately have a cup of coffee and a smoke, do something different (like going for a walk, or immediately take a shower) instead. Things like chewing gum, or keeping a coffee stir stick in your mouth* can also help.

Aloha,

Brad

* A habit of mine, though I've never had a smoking habit.

i quit this spring after a 10 year habit (started at age 16) the thing that made me quit is I suddenly realized that I could develop cancer in my thirties if I didn't stop. I developed this whole paranoid thing where I was sure I would die young - in other words I purposly scared myself shitless - there are lots of horror stories on the internet that you can read to help bring the paranoia on....the biggest thing I got out of it all (besides my breath back, and the dark circles under my eyes going away) was psychological endurance. you know determanation - that in turn gave me pride which gave more strength to keep on going. it was as healthy mentally for me as it was physically. then I went on a holiday to europe and now I'm back to half a pack a day...ooops!

a good buddy o' mine decided a good route to quitting was via the "roll-em-yourself" strategy... unfortunately he could roll four smokes (two in each hand) in under 3 1/2 secs by the end of the summer. needless to say, he was smoking more rollies than he was packaged darts in the end

a very sad story, but GM, the force is with you

-

Hey Congrats Jay!!!

It is a tough thing to do, but look at all of the support you are getting right here. I am sure that these little words of wisdom will help to understand it is an addiction, but it is also beatable.

The one thing that I found really helped was running a little counter called Silk Quit. You enter the price of smokes in your area, how much you smoked and when you quit.... and Voila it gives you a running counter of how much $$$ you have saved, how many smokes you have gone without and how much of your life has been saved.

The last time I checked mine (I quit last New Years after around 4 years of a half a pack a day habit), I had saved over $4000, 8 months of my life and hadn't ingested nearly 2000 smokes. It starts to add up quickly and then give yourself a reward. For example when that counter hit $150 I immediately went out and bought a new VCR for my girlfriend.

Good luck to you!

You can do it.........

Sean

I quit smoking about 4 years ago now, and although I have had a few drunken relapses.. I am so glad I quit.

My bf and I quit cold turkey at the same time, so you can imagine what it was like at our house for a while... but in the end it was so worth it. No more stinky house, no more stinky clothes, no more cigarette breath. More money in my pockets and Better health to boot. We ate a lot of gum, didn't drink much (cause you know how that goes with smoking) and took lots of walks. Eventually the cravings went away and we became normal, non grouchy people again.

Keep it up because it is the best decision you will ever make. My grampy and grammy both died last year, he from emphasema from smoking and she from cancer caused by second hand smoking. Losing them was really hard and even harder knowing it was due to smoking.

Hey Giggles, good for you. Just a quick question: " Did you quit smoking the funny stuff too "? That would be even more impressive to me. Anyway, join a gym. I've never smoked, but whenever I feel unhealthy ( after drinking binges ) I hit the gym hard. It'll clear your head and rid the body of toxins for sure. Maybe you can get back into hockey shape. Then a comeback could be made to order.

my husband has just gone on the patch - he's a little testy ....

gotta just say "whoa! you a little grumpy!" and back away then giggle it off around the corner thinking about how much he must be suffering - that's the part that makes me think - man, make it work the first time, there is no reason to make yourself go through that again!

btw. - i quit last thanksgiving on zyban, that stuff rocks.