Jambands.ca

Bill Graham

Esau

Damn straight!

Let me paraphrase here, but didnt Jerry meet Bill for the first time (basically) when he was trippin' BALLS at an Acid Test or the Trips Festival?

Jerry is sitting there, about to play and realizes his guitar is totally busted at the neck. Trying to figure out what to do, since they were about to play, Graham comes running by with a "What the f is wrong?" question. Jerry is just going "Ahh, ummm" pointing at his guitar. Billy Boy gets down and tries to fix it.

Thus, ever was........................

I thought it was cool they included that portion of the story (while leading into his relationship with the Dead)

"They arent the best at what they do, they are the only ones that do what they do"

(forgive me if I havent gotten it exactly right)

Best quote EVER!

What the story DIDNT tell was that the Dead tried to dose Bill ALL THE TIME. Biull actually had people guard his drinks. Rock Scully mentions it in his book, but from what I understand from a ton of other readings, that was true. What I didnt know, was Mickey's version of Bill getting dosed. Apparently, he did once and ended up onstage, cowbell and all, orchestrating the Boys. I hope that one was real.

"Bill, the road you are about to travel.......blah blah blah"

That was fun.

I was glued to the tube last night for this. I have just started reading "Living with the Dead" and enjoyed getting filled in on parts that aren't in the book and vice-versa. I LOVED the concert footage and Mickey's animated stories were great. I liked the light show crew, and just the incredible bands that Bill Graham produced shows for. An incredible Biography.

I am watching the Manson Women one right now....not quite as uplifting and entertaining.

Booche, what books would you recommend? A quick check of the Ottawa Public Library shows they've got:

1. Garcia: An American Life (by Blair Jackson)

2. Sweet Chaos: The Grateful Dead's American Adventure (by Carol Brightman)

3. The Grateful Dead (by Sean Piccoli)

4. Dead To The Core: An Almanc Of The Grateful Dead (by Eric Wybenga)

5. Living With The Dead: Twenty Years On The Bus With Garcia And The Grateful Dead (by Rock Scully)

6. Dark Star: An Oral Biography Of Jerry Garcia (by Robert Greenfield)

7. Conversations With The Dead: The Grateful Dead Interview Book (by David Gans)

8. Grateful Dead: Build To Last: 25th Anniversary Album 1965-1990 (by Jamie Jensen)

9. Grateful Dead Family Album (by Jerilyn Lee Brandelius)

10. Grateful Dead: The Official Book Of The Dead Heads (by Paul Grushkin, with preface by Jerry Garcia)

Any others you can think of?

Aloha,

BRAD (Book References About Dead)

* The library also has "View From The Vault" on VHS, for which I just submitted a request. :-)

quote:

Originally posted by Booche:

[QB]What I didnt know, was Mickey's version of Bill getting dosed. Apparently, he did once and ended up onstage, cowbell and all, orchestrating the Boys. I hope that one was real.QB]

I'd heard that story before from an interview with Bill Graham himself (can't remember where). Pretty cool for a guy who once rode into a NYE show on a huge joint! (way cooler than a hot dog, imho)

I'm sorry I missed that Bio. Please post if you see it's coming on again, thanks!

Hey....I guess that explains why "Living with the Dead" was found in a bin for $1.99 eh?

I also have "Dark Star: An Oral Biography Of Jerry Garcia (by Robert Greenfield)" which is now back in the can. It's a great can-reader. Little snippets from people that were close or not-so-close to jerry, and all organized chronologically.

I just jump in at random places and read that span of his history. I really enjoyed the Old and in the Way years.

Peter Rowan:

"We'd show up at the Boarding House at four-thirty or five in the afternoon, and Garcia would already be there with his carton of Camels and his roadie. Garcia would just be sitting there, puffing and playing. The only thing we could do was unpack, tune up, and get with him. He'd look up and say, "Where's it go from here?" and then we'd jump in with material. Jerry had this quality of reciprocal enthusiasm and the ability to give off a kind of light. If you tickled his fancy, he would just come forth with so much loving energy that everyone would do better. When you played with Garcia, he could make you rise up to your full capacity. He could make you do that and I think it was reciprocal. He felt he could jump to his full capacity surrounded by the players he loved to play with. I never experienced any ego when he played. He was against any discursive criticism of the moment. He could make every player feel that whatever part they had to contribute was part of the overall experience. He was generous."

quote:

Originally posted by bouche:

I just jump in at random places and read that span of his history. I really enjoyed the Old and in the Way years.

I do the same thing. It's an ok book, one of the better ones I've found, although I'm very much looking forward to Dennis McNally's book, which is due out this year, last I heard.

I had to laugh when a while back I opened up that book randomly a few times, and came across two separate stories where two different managers at two different times tell the same story about being awoken in the middle of the night by a totally loaded Billy Kreutzmann, who cusses at 'em, picks them up by their collars and throws them against the wall, telling them they're fired! [Roll Eyes]

Peace and love kids!

Hahah. I read that about jon mcintire. I guess he went to hug a girl after a show and as Bill was walking off stage, jon accidentally punched bill in the face as his arm came around the girl.

Bill fired him later that night all wasted-like.