Jambands.ca

Ottawa Tapers' Alliance?

puddles

No NAK Shotguns allowed!!!

I am part of the "Vibe Tribe Tapers Club" where we all tape and trade the upper NY & Eastern state bands like The Pods,DBanana,Free Beer n Chicken,Max Creek,Percy Hill,StrangeFolk etc...I have about 50 DAT masters myself but they are owned by the particular bands and I cant put them on any trading lists. Basically you sign up for any gig you are going to and the band gives you and you only a board patch or an onstage spot to put your mics. You cant trade these sources until you have permission which is kinda caca but listeneing to them at home or cottage or bars w. friends is pretty fun. You get free admission ,food tickets backstage passes(this can be REAL fun) and all the crappy Sammy Addams you can filter.

You would be real surprised to see WHO has "HUSH HUSH" DSBS of Phish even 98->00!! [Wink][Wink] Seriously its pretty inTENse!

While we were at Zaphod's the other night watching (and later talking to) Clear, a thought I had a while ago resurfaced. It seems to me that there's a fair number of good tapers in Ottawa (e.g., Harpua, aberg83, etc.), along with acts (e.g., Clear) who don't have any recordings (studio or live) or the equipment/experience to tape their own shows (and who may not even know of the taping scene).

I was thinking it'd be neat to have a kind of "tapers' alliance": tapers would register (including the kind of equipment [mics, recorder, medium, etc.] they have), and acts would register. When an act had a gig (or even a rehearsal) they wanted taped, they'd submit a request, and the alliance would try to find them a taper.

If a taper was available, the act would give blank media to the taper, get the taper in to the show for free, and maybe give him/her a beer. The taper would tape the show, and either gve the media back to the act, or take it away for (say) digitization. If the alliance could get enough resources together, it might even do media conversation and/or file hosting and maybe even limited-run CD burning.

Those in the scene who weren't tapers could carry (say) business cards for the alliance, and hand them to acts that they come across that didn't know about the alliance.

Am I a starry-eyed idealist for thinking that something like this would be a boon to the scene?

Aloha,

Brad