Jambands.ca

What was the first n last tune you saw from..

puddles

Toronto 7.6.00

1: Reba, Dog Stole Things, Taste, Dog Faced Boy, Heavy Things, Moma Dance, First Tube, I Didn't Know, The Inlaw Josie Wales, Prince Caspian > Golgi Apparatus, You Enjoy Myself (1:50)

2: Limb by Limb, Also Sprach Zarathustra, Bug, Piper, Driver, Harry Hood*, Loving Cup

E: The Squirming Coil

*Trey commented on how beautiful Toronto is, and how beautiful the people are.

OK things got 'rolling' with a great Reba opener (which caught some out in the lots off guard- there was a dude for the rest of the tour with a sign reading "Please play Reba, I missed the TO Opener"). It was quick run through of DSThings, Taste (fairly standard version), Dog Faced Boy and Heavy Things. At that point they took off with a stellar Moma and First Tube (that seemed to be the most energetic of the four I would see that summer) and then they pulled out I Didn't Know which made all of the setlist scribes drool. After that the first set could have been done at any point, but they just kept on playin. The Caspian>Golgi was more of a 'peter out this one, and bam into the next one' jam than a true segue. But at the 1:30 mark they launch into YEM. At this point if someone had told me they were going to play one long set I would have believed it. YEM was funky, well played and a phenomenal set closer.

The second set was exactly an 'arrow fest' but each song was played very well. The 2001 (2nd in two years in TO) was excellent and touched on some spacey themes. Piper was well Piper. Love it or hate it? I love it. Keep on jamming those 6 chords all night and I'd be happy..... But then Driver to slow things down (with what I believe was a brief Hood tease in the intro). Then Hood!!!! It was fantastic, included some heavy syncopation that lead to a near reggae jam, and eventually to a Carribean vocal jam. Stellar version, maybe one of my faves and definitely different. The boys were certainly enjoying the summer in Canada (after a night long private party at a bar in downtown the night before- see scottieking for details). To close the set we got that beautiful buzz. And what a buzz it was. I almost felt like crying or exploding whichever would come first. To this day some of my friends who saw their first PH show this day- claim this was their "moment".

A nice Coil encore (keep in mind this was my first show of Summer 2000 and it hadn't been driven into the ground yet), with some classical stylings by Page to send us down the road to Pittsburgh.

All in all a good Summer 2000 show. Not alot of segueing but very well played songs. I caught seven in a row that summer, and only the Moby Dick set on 7.11.00 topped it.

If there is infact, a good copy floating around I would love to hear it........

Peace

Sean [Eek!]

Sorry that should read:

wasn't exactly an arrow fest......

I never listened to the show and obviously alot of you pholk went...nice lights like 99?,good sound?,were you HOSED by the band!!?? Funk-Factor??....tramps??...lemme know,I hear there are some nice split F.O.Bs Neumanns out there

The lights were top notch, and with such a long first set the entire second set was pitch black except for the skyline. I always find that makes the lights better (I am partial to arena Phish shows).

The sound as with most Amp shows was crystal clear.

They did bring out the tramps in YEM which got the crowd pretty pumped.

Funk factor was solid during Moma, YEM, 2001, Hood but overall I would always like to see Mike brought up in the mix. This was no Phall 97.........

And of course I was hosed! This was my first show back in the land of dreads, heads, and summer time sheds......... So I think I may have actually left a piece of my ass there as I was trying all night to dance it off.

If you were joking, it wasn't funny. But if you really did kick a smacky habit.... A million kudos to you.

Sean

quote:

The boys were certainly enjoying the summer in Canada (after a night long private party at a bar in downtown the night before- see scottieking for details).

Hey Scottie, hows about some details! Sounds interesting..

Sean...I wouldn't put that drug into my worst enemy!...There is not a trace of "joke" in there...I never poked but chased a "point" a day. I was pretty F*cking death-like...to this day whenever I smell a match I kinda get squirmy and shaky...anyway,now I have to deal with Benzos! cause Ive been on them ever since I got out(shakes,withdrawls,PANIC etc...)so,no,not a joke man! I would help ANYONE in here if they have any sort of substance problem in the "pain-killer" category.

I got out to see some midwest shows and man,was that ever hard!!...Thanx a lot for the nice TO review...

04.03.93 Landlady

11.23.96 Good Times Bad Times (which was also the encore of the first show I saw)

I put off going to see them after 96 (playing music and school etc) thinking there'd be time, like that time mr t was at the mall and I kept saying I'll go a little later, I'll go a little later, but when I got there he was gone, and when I asked the mall guy if he was ever coming back he said "I don't know."

But I have faith, they'll be back.

quote:

...and then they pulled out I Didn't Know which made all of the setlist scribes drool.

Sean??? I'm confused? Is that to say that the "I didn't know" is good or bad?

Check the Walfredo lyrics to find my stance on this one [Wink]

Phish can play whatever they want and I'm into it, but those fucking gimmicks are pretty tired IMO. I hope they're shelved when they make the grand return.

i personally love i didn't know....whether the vaccuum solo or not.

...But who laid silver tooth and broke my sunny shoe shine And all my plastic melodreams are waiting for their new shine

Pardon me, Darlin (pardon me, Darlin) Is this a picture of Otis Redding? Yes. Yes. Taken right before he died ...

For me, I love I Didn't Know. Its a chance to take a breather from shaking my ass......

As for shelving that kind of stuff on their return.....

Then they just wouldn't be Phish. That would be like Diet Phish (excuse me, $CI) putting shoes on, and leaving the audience out of the hokey "Incident".

I like all of the gimmicks that come along with Phish. If it wasn't for those things like trampolines, acapella tunes, vocal jams, vac solos etc. they probably wouldn't have reached the point they have. Those are the types of things that set them apart from everything else in the music scene. And they are great for newbies. When I took people to their first shows it was always those things that stuck in their minds before the C+Painless tease in 2001 or whatever.

In closing I meant that all of the kids writing down setlists are always looking for that rarity (which if I'm not mistaken was the only IDKnow of Summer 2000, as it wasn't pulled out again until Treys bday in Vegas).

Maybe IDKnow isn't a show stopper, but to quote someone on this board- If you aren't having fun, then what the fuck are you doing.

Surrender to the Phlow

Sean