Jambands.ca

TummiesLog - Stardate 07-18-02

Booche

What can I say, we laughed, we laugh-cried and we got to see some jamming. Interesting night. Ottawa shows dont suck so much no mores.

Tummies:

I'm the Manager Of Nero

Cereal Killer

Band Credo

My Favorite Things

Deli Religous

The Wedding Song (yeah, nice touch Fuck Suck!)

Roger

Cat's On Crack (with the rest of the Tummies)

Well, Velvet has a band, I tells ya. The Tummies RULE! The banter during and between songs did it for us. We clapped and screamed. "What do you mean this isnt a set-blender?"

Dave-O and I sat side by each and nearly fell off our stools a few times. I'm The Manager Of Nero? You sure are pal, and you need to manage the Tummies as well. So, you spill a beer from time to time, big f'in deal. Shane will get you another one, just play.........

I loved the tune from his ex-girlfriends viewpoint, she thought he didnt like cereal and that he wanted to kill it. Well, dont worry what she thinks, he's alright in my books.

My Fav Things had some nice harmonics and the bar was DEAD silent during it (except when buddy ordered a Coors Light). I gots to wonder though, The Tummies book a gig to play a wedding during the day and then bust out The Wedding Song. Co-ing-kee-dink? As long as you dont try and "ball" the bride, any of those Tummies can have any bridesmaid they want.!

Up comes Roger, hahahhahaha, sound problems with 18 unlearned languages is a perfect combination. Watching each member of Nero perform 'roadie duties' was a treat. "Total bullshit" was the cry of a few patrons. The Tummies pick-up was acting up and we didnt get a complete Roger. Word on the 'lot' was that it was all planned so that we would be forced to go see the next gig, and get the ending we all craved.

Bastard.

The rest of the tummies came out and we got a Cat's On Crack with Muppet Mullet Lauzon playing THAT guitar. Very fun version, Velvet was impressed with said bass player and Lauzon floored us with his completely unique solo.

Nero encored and then we went home. Even though we screamed for more Tummies, denial was the word of the night.

Too bad Puddles missed it.

"What a fucking night man"

quote:

Originally said by Tummies:

"1...2...Why the fuck am I counting in? I'm the only one on stage!"

"Dave has this thing on stage with him, and for years I thought it was a portable TV. Turns out it's a
tuner
."

'Twas a laugh and a haugh, indeed. And you're right: that MFT was mesmerizing.

Aloha,

Brad

i drove 2 hours and ended up staying bone straight to see the tummies. I was not dissapointed. all the girls swooned. rousing success. if i had to choose i enjoyed my favourite things best i think next to cats on crack - very heavy!

Man that was a good time. Tummies rule. I forgot that a show doesn't necessarily have to get me dancing to be enjoyable but it can also make me laugh. I sure hope that was the intent, because it seems that we all laughed and laughed and then we laughed some more. True entertainment.

Technical difficulties aside, I loved "I am the Manager of Neeeeerrrro", people are going to start thinking I'm cookey going around singing that one. It gave us a tiny glimpse into the touring lifestyle.

Loved the banter, and I truly think Velvet should be miked at all times!!! What a super star!

Oh yeah, nero played too. They were okay. [Wink][big Grin]

I was working the door during the Tummies set when Whitey came in. I took his money, and he said, "I used to take your money*, and now you're taking mine." "Yeah, it's like a great Circle of Life thing." I replied.

Thanks, Whitey; I hadn't noticed that, and it made my heart sing.

Aloha,

Brad

* At the Nero Whipping Post gigs.

youre a great door man bradm - the way you checked the list 3 times, determined that i wasnt on the list then let me bully you into letting me in cuz i had no money. [smile]

you showed excellent judgement ! thanks!

The Tummies made the drive that much more worthwhile. I know that H was excited as a Staples at the opening of a new Star Wars Movie to see the Tummies.

I think that the performances was much more than I could even imaging. The Tummy leader was a perfect MC for himself, and he should do more MC duties.

I was disappointed by the Spanish Caravan tease and the Rainbow Connection as those should have been finished, and maybe even intertwined.

Funny quote as I walked in...

Whitey to Moe-ron:

"I've lost so much weight, I have to get some new dancing pants"

Sorry I missed it. I don't dare go near a nero gig until I deal with the blisters I got from dancing at the Vermont show [smile]

[As I type this, The Mercenary should be picking up my new boots. Try to imagine Doc Marten-like black leather boots not only custom-made for my hard-to-fit feet, but outfitted with soles for dancing.]

Something so right about seeing a show at the Cafe... I just love this room!! Can't beat the sound, the lights and the staff.... And at how many venues can you toke outside and still see and hear the band... I think I saw half the show from the deck.... says Dave-o from the deck while smoking and looking at the stage "I love this bar".... yeah..for sure... this is our perfect venue.

The Tummies.... everything I thought it would be and more.... I swear Todd could make a million dollars touring as a one man comedy/music show. Hilarious song writing and an unmatched stage presence.... maybe the sharpest wit around. Nice to see the nero boys being good roadies, moving mics and replacing patch cords for their manager as he turned a technical difficulty into a hilarious improv routine "I bought that patch cord at Lauzon's music"... hillarious!!. Nero with the Tummies for "My cat's on Crack" was stellar!

nero was tight as always... Dave even played his infamous third guitar, which was a treat. I tell ya, when the lighting guy gets into a song the effect is amazing. There were times during the show that the lights added a whole new layer to the nero madness.... smoke and lasers man... wow... To bad he would disappear for half an hour at a time. The highlight for me last night was Chocolate Monkey Machine. They played it near the end of the show and I was way to drunk to stand and dance but this was one of the bet CMM I have heard... Lauzons trippy intro over Shane's fat groove turned into a completely insane 15 or 20 minutes where nero took my brain to another planet! My only regret is that I know I won't hear CMM tonight when I plan on having a whole lot more energy!.....

Whitey Quote of the night, spoken to some unsuspecting newdie

"You may think I'm nuts.... but I'm a lot better now"

Whitey

quote:

Originally posted by doubleB:

nero was tight as always

I'm gonna have to disagree on this part. I thought the show was pretty loose, almost ragged at times (the Horseshow gig [2002.07.08] was tight). (I left about 01:45am, so there may have been tight bits after I left.)

Mind you, it was loose/ragged in an intensely fun and good way. Every time I see Nero it's like they show me some new way of being a band, from the communal joy of Nero's Eve, to the background party nature of Nero Goes Hawaiian, to the tightness of the Horseshoe gig, to the commanding presence of AfterPhil, to loost night. All from the same roots, all different.

Can't wait for tonight ("Bring on the night / I couldn't stand another hour of daylight...").

Aloha,

Brad