Jambands.ca

I am not very bright...help please

rubberdinghy

I am new to downloading tunes, and thought I'd try downloading my first SHN show...

So I went to gdlive.com and started downloading a medeski show...

I also downloaded the MKW tool to decompress the files so I could burn them...

anyhoo here`s my problem, after I decompress them I try and play them on my computer before I burn so I can see how they sound...But alas there is no music there...

please help........technically challenged when it comes to SHN's

I'm not sure which prob you're having, but here's a few possibilities:

- after you decompress the file, you then have 2 versions of the track in your computer - the original SHN file and the new wav file, be sure you're trying to play the right one... (w/ the plug-in, they will both be play-able)

- If you're trying to play the actual SHN track - you can do it w/ winamp, but you need to download the SHNamp plug-in from etree - it just enables your winamp player to play SHN files (before decompressing them into wav)

- If you're trying to play the wav file, it should just play in winamp normally - I think your problem is probably that you're trying to play the SHN file - and w/o the plug-in, it won't work.

are you using nero to burn? If so, you cannot listen to the track after it's been dragged-over - it has to be previewed before.

If it still doesn't work - punch your computer.

good luck

WinAmp can save what it plays as .WAV files; bring up the Options -> Preferences menu, and select the Disk Writer in the list of Output Plug-Ins (and configure it to save to whatever directory you want). (You should also be able to use the MKW stuff to convert from .SHN -> .WAV.)

HTH,

Brad

Yup, and that's usually how I do .shn -> .wav when I burn to CD. When I get a show, I first play it through WinAmp just by loading the files I downloaded; when you install ShnAmp, WinAmp will automatically know about and be able to play .shn files.

If I like the show enough to want to burn it to CDR, I replay the show with the Disk Writer output plug-in. When you do this, you won't hear anything, and WinAmp goes through the songs faster than playing them to headphones/speakers.

After it's all done, you have a set of .wav files in whatever directory you configured the Disk Writer plug-in to use.

Aloha,

Brad

that's right dinghy

I think it's because of how nero is designed. If you want to listen to the wav track before burning - do it in a windows explorer window - if it works - you're golden, and there's no reason to listen to it again before burning w/ nero.

like I said before, once you drag the track over to the nero compilation window - then you can't listen to it (from there) - only when it's still on the right in the explorer window can you still listen to it.

I have faith in you, brother.