Jambands.ca

Stones aide dies - Guitar technician collapse

h

Stones aide dies

Guitar technician collapses during band's North York rehearsal

By IAN ROBERTSON, PHILIP LEE-SHANOK and JACK BOLAND -- Toronto Sun

TORONTO -- The Rolling Stones' rehearsal at North York's heavily guarded Crescent School came to an abrupt halt last night when a crew member suffered a fatal heart attack.

The man, identified as Roydon McGee, was taken by ambulance to Sunnybrook hospital at 10 p.m.

SHAKEN

He was pronounced dead upon arrival, a tour staffer said at the hospital, before declining further comment and joining another colleague. Both were obviously shaken.

McGee, a guitar technician for the Stones, collapsed during the band's final set of the evening.

Paramedics received a 911 call from the school at 9:25 p.m., and found a Stones' medical aide "already working on him," performing cardio-pulminary resuscitation, a Toronto Ambulance source told The Toronto Sun. The staffer's vital signs were already absent when the crew arrived.

The Stones' evening rehearsal began around 5 p.m., after guitarist Ron Wood and frontman Mick Jagger were whisked into the school on Bayview Ave., near Lawrence Ave.

Wood came through first in a white limo with Jagger following 10 minutes later. Jagger shunned the fans and media, putting his fingers up in front of his face and mouthing "no" to outstretched hands.

WAITED ALL DAY

John Brent, a Grade 10 student at the private school, waited all day through downpours of rain to catch a glimpse of the aging rock stars.

"My mom gave me an album (Goat's Head Soup) and asked me to try an get an autograph from one of them," said Brent. "I play guitar and would like to jam with them since they're using my school."

The Stones have set up a session studio in Crescent as they prepare for their upcoming tour, which kicks off Sept. 3 in Boston

On Oct. 16, the band will be back in Toronto, to play the Air Canada Centre, then at SkyDome two days later.

"We have a small recording studio there, a large music room and our auditorium -- Hyland Hall," Brent said.

-- With files from Dave Thomas

quote:

Wood came through first in a white limo with Jagger following 10 minutes later. Jagger shunned the fans and media, putting his fingers up in front of his face and mouthing "no" to outstretched hands.

Man, they make me sick. really really sick.

i cannot believe they are people out there that idolize those freaks (jagger/richards).

Just sick