Jambands.ca

Be Careful when you travel post Sept 11th

Chewie

Airline-Sex-Toy

INDEX: International, Transport, Justice

(Note the content of the following, it may offend some listeners)

CLEARWATER, Florida -- How embarrassing.

A Florida woman is suing Delta Airlines after being pulled off a plane and asked to explain what was vibrating in her luggage.

Renee Koutsouradis says it was a sex toy she had purchased while on vacation in Las Vegas.

The 36-year-old was awaiting takeoff from Dallas in February when her name was called over the loudspeaker.

She was met by a Delta security agent who told her something was vibrating in one of her bags.

According to the lawsuit, the agent took her to the bag on the tarmac and made her remove the toy and hold it up.

Koutsouradis claims some passengers saw everything, and three male Delta employees ``began laughing hysterically'' and made ``obnoxious and sexually harassing comments.''

She was allowed to re-pack and return to her seat.

The lawsuit seeks unspecified damages, accusing Delta of negligence, intentional infliction of distress and gender discrimination.

(AP)

While I agree the treatment was strange, and that the security people must have had at least _some_ idea what was in there... it just goes to show: never put batteries in checked luggage. And unless it's necessary not to, take them out of whatever they were inserted in.

I just went through Newark security last week and think I got off very lightly. Some middle-age caucasian men were being almost strip-searched right at security... belts undone, shoes off, pockets slowly emptied, the hand wand inserted between clothes and body... they're not kidding around there. (All I did was forget to take all electronics out of my luggage prior to the xray machine and put them in the little containers. Even batteries.)

Mexperiences completely go against removing batteries from CARRY-ON luggage.

In february I went to Chicago for a bit of a break, and as I was going through O'Hare security I was asked if I had any electronics in my carry on. I pulled out my discman and I guess while it had been in my bag the play button was hit because it was half way through the 3rd or 4th song. I made some comment about "Oh, it's on" and the security guard, a nice woman, said that that was actually a good thing, because they were supposed to ask all travellers to turn on any electronics, be it a camera, a discman, or even a cell phone (which I also had on me). If they don't power up when asked to, the woman told me that they were then taken for "examination". Something about being checked for bombs or the like hidden in electronics. This is just carry on luggage though, because I had a camera in my checked luggage, and not a peep was made about it.

-

Jack: so, was it ticking?

Airport guy: throwers don't concern themselves with ticking because modern bombs don't tick.

Jack: I'm sorry....throwers?

AG: Baggage handlers. But when a bag vibrates, the thrower's gotta call the cops.

Jack: Let me get this straight, my bag was vibrating?

AG: 9 times out of 10 it's an electric razor. But every once in a while......it's a dildo. Now the company has a policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo. We always use the indefinite article - a dildo. Never - your dildo.

Jack: I don't own a...

Good points, Maddak. I guess then it becomes necessary to keep batteries in everything, as per my original statement. [smile]

So O'Hare is more strict - will keep that in mind too. Not that I ever want to go to O'Hare again, but... At Newark, they took out my discman, videocamera and digital camera from my carry-on, barely looked at them and didn't ask me to turn them on. They were more conscious of laptops. (Those should be already on by the time you _get_ to security...)