Jambands.ca

Reminder - Ferriswheeler @ The Bayou tonight

dave-O

quote:

Dave Rahmer, just before Ferriswheeler's set:

We jammed for about four hours last night, and played
five songs

OK, who are you, and what have you done with Ferriswheeler? I remember seeing a band called Ferriswheeler (and I even have a CD by them, so I'm not imagining things), but the band I saw Saturday night definitely wasn't them...

Ferriswheeler has been transformed. They've shown their jamming ability before, but only in limited amounts. The CanadaDay show, the first with their new sax player, had more of it, but it was (to my ears) a little ragged and needed a bit more cohesion.

This night, it all came together. My and Low Roller's jaws were on the floor: the songs were longer than before, and the extra space was filled in with interesting, expressive, and fun music that made you want to pay attention to it. The sax adds just the right amount of its sound to mix*, balancing the other instruments. I'd never heard the Egan's bass as much before, and I with I'd had; it was great. Add Keeron's drums and Dave's guitar, and the interplay between everybody on stage, and it was a blast, end to end.

Ferriswheeler's next gig is this Thursday, Aug. 1, at Barrymore's, opening for Celtae. (I think this show might start earlier than most, because Barrymore's is putting on its "Electric Ballroom" at 11:30pm.)

Aloha,

Brad

* Forget what I said about the alto-only sax parts being a bit harsh; chalk it up to the mix at the Bayou that night. This night, the sax was perfect and a joy to listen to.

Agreed... the Wheel is a different band everytime I see them.

I'm pretty much in love with the new arrangment.... perfect! Once they reel AlGee (sp?) in they will realy start blowing our minds!

Can't wait to hear them again!

If you haven't Seen Threat rom Outer Space...... DON'T Miss them!!!!! Think Rage against the MAchine meets P-Funk.... awesome!

TFOS was loads of fun. I came walking over the bridge, and could see a motorhome parked outside the Bayou. "Found: one band van..." I said to myself.

I got a bit closer, and could see the van, a bunch of people clustered near it on the sidewalk, and a couple of fold-up camp chairs set up between the parking meters. Add a shade tent and barbecue, and we've got a lot scene on Bank St...

I'd heard TFOS from a couple of tracks I downloaded off their website, and liked them a lot. I'm not that big a fan of hip-hop (especially live hip-hop), but these guys seemed to have a good balance between music (jazzy, too) and rhymes.

Live, they were even better. Along with the comparisons doubleB mentioned, I'll add Fishbone, which has a lot of the same sensibilities and the jazzy horns as well. As with the d/l'd tracks, there was just enough rapping for my ears; twinned up with a great horn section, fantastic bass, solid drumming, and sublime just-enough guitar, and the fun was almost boundless.

Slighly less than boundless was the crowd, however. I think if TFOS was at the Bayou or the Mercury, and if the show was pitched to the hip-hop and/or dance and/or DJ crowd, and it would have been much bigger party.

Aloha,

Brad

Guest Low Roller

What a show!

Ferriswheeler was cranked up to 11 and TFOS was very different, but so cool. When the guy started freestyle rapping at the beginning I was *slightly* worried, but in the end their supreme musicianship won me over. I bought their CD, and it's pretty kick-ass I must say.

FYI - Ferriswheeler @ Barrymore's, Thurs. Aug. 1 is indeed an early show. We're scheduled to hit the stage at 9:00 sharp, Celtae at 10, Elec-crap Ballroom at 11:30 (how very Zaphod of them).

We'll also be doing Breakfast on the New RO that morning.

More on all of this later...

Thanks, Dave-O, for the start time info. I was gong to ask point-blank about that. So heading to B's for 8:30 seems fine, I should still have a space near the dance floor.

With those two bands, I shouldn't leave said dance floor for long. Two different styles of dancing in one night. Yay!

No muffin for me after, I'll be too ragged...

It's even worse than you think, Df, 'cause there's Nero opening for Addison Groove Project at Babylon the night before (yup, a possible quintuple-bill).

Actually, you might be able to take advantage of this: if you're as tired and wiped-out as I know you'll be, that would be the time to explore the shuffle/groove form of dancing (as opposed to your usualy marvelous frenetic form), which works a lot better to serious reggae grooves.

And given the atmosphere (literal and figurative) in Babylon during MuffinTime, it might even be easier...

Aloha,

Brad

It's not a quintuple bill if it's on different nights. [smile] I know about Nero/AGP, and I'm glad Nero is only opening... What time's good for that night, anyway?

quote:

Originally postulated by bradm:

if you're as tired and wiped-out as I know you'll be, that would be the time to explore the shuffle/groove form of dancing

It depends - will Ms. Hux be there? [big Grin] And it won't matter how tired I am, if Celtae gets into good instrumentals... off I'll go.

And I have many other things to prepare and deadlines for the weekend, which is another reason I can't go to Muffin.

quote:

Originally posted by dancingfool:

It's not a quintuple bill if it's on different nights.
[smile]

It is if you don't go to sleep between them...

quote:

I know about Nero/AGP, and I'm glad Nero is only opening... What time's good for that night, anyway?

I think the show is listed as having doors at 9pm, show start at 10pm. YMMV.

quote:

quote:

Originally postulated by bradm:

if you're as tired and wiped-out as I know you'll be, that would be the time to explore the shuffle/groove form of dancing

It depends - will Ms. Hux be there? [big Grin]

I hope so.

quote:

And it won't matter how tired I am, if Celtae gets into good instrumentals... off I'll go.

But that's the point: I want you to head to go Muffining in a tired state, so that all you'll be able to do is stand there and shuffle around.

quote:

And I have many other things to prepare and deadlines for the weekend, which is another reason I can't go to Muffin.

[Jedi reverse-psychology mind trick]

OK. You probably couldn't handle dancing to the Muffin anyway...

[/Jedi reverse-psychology mind trick]

Aloha,

Brad