Jambands.ca

Lamest BUZZwords

CyberHippie

Metrics...i frikkin' hate this one...it gets tacked on to the end of almost every noun like design-metrics, research-metrics, blah, blah, blah, yada, yada...

win-win gets me too...

this is my first extended experience in a '9-to-5' office setting and the buzzwords are killing me...another one is product/company branding...made me hack up a hair ball the first time i heard that one

I work in the world of web design/graphics/search engines too.

I use Macromedia Dreamweaver every day and I have this amazing plugin for filler text to use in a web template. It's called "Insert Corporate MumboJumbo" - you just tell it how many characters you want and you get the following. Here's 500 characters worth:

Through a top-down, proactive approach we can remain customer focused and goal-directed, innovate and be an inside-out organization which facilitates sticky web-readiness transforming turnkey eyeballs to brand 24/365 paradigms with benchmark turnkey channels implementing viral e-services and dot-com action-items while we take that action item off-line and raise a red flag and remember touch base as you think about the red tape outside of the box and seize B2B e-tailers.

quote:

Originally posted by Low Roller:

Where I work, promotions are directly in relation to the number of buzzwords you use.

Some of the stupidest buzzwords I hear on a daily basis are:

- Action Items

- Generate Opportunity for Quotation

- Mission critical

Low Roller is absolutely correct, but he hasn't related the degree of this problem.

I used to work at the same company, in the Marketing department. In my duties, I was expected to use these buzzwords to promote the products. (Yes, the Misery Chick actually has some talent for positive spin.) In general, the problem isn't so much the use of the buzzwords (or buzzphrases) as their misuse and overuse. I said, *in general*.

My favourite: "Leverage your resources." It has a legitimate meaning and use (other than kindling). However, outside of the Marketing department, who the hell knows or cares what it is?

Good grief. It's this kind of bullshit that makes the marketeers looks like clowns in the eyes of the technical staff. That, and this nasty habit of promoting products that haven't been completed (or designed) yet.

Anyway, I have my own fun contribution to the list: "Ruptured."

"That thing is so *ruptured,* man! Who knew you could do that with digital clock parts?"

buzzword: A word or phrase connected with a specialized field or group that usually sounds important or technical and is used primarily by idiots to impress those who they presume to be stupid.

i hate them, and anyone who uses them in any (be it professional, or social) situation/conversation with me, loses my interest very quickly:

PROACTIVE

Guest Low Roller

Where I work, promotions are directly in relation to the number of buzzwords you use.

Some of the stupidest buzzwords I hear on a daily basis are:

- Action Items

- Generate Opportunity for Quotation

- Mission critical

Anybody ever play any Bullshit Bingo?