Jambands.ca

Nero & AGP

Ms.Huxtable

It was nice to see so many people out on a Wednesday. I could tell by the lack of movement that most of us were laggin' a bit. I for one was pretty darn tired but wouldn't have missed it for the world.

nero opened up and for a change I didn't dance, I stood and watched and was surprised at how much I miss by dancing all the time. I was captured as I was the first time I saw them at the Comfort Zone in Toronto in 2000. I sometimes forget just how damn good they are as individual musicians because my eyes are closed and I move to the collective sound. I paid attention last night and will try to do it every now and again in the future.

Highlight for me was when the saxes took the stage with nero. WOW!!! My favorite band with one of my favorite instruments. It was beautiful and groovy. Jay is an awsome drummer!!!

ADG went solo for the second set. I have been listening to their album for a while now and I wasn't a huge fan, but I can't pinpoint exactly why. The live act has a few "big band" moments that didn't really enthrall me, I found the rythym section to be pretty uninteresting and the keyboard player was very lackluster. Even when he was playing with nero, he didn't bring much to the table (Perhaps I am becoming spoiled by our most wonderful Phred who has raised the keyboard bar for me).

As you are all aware, I am a HUGE fan of Dave's style of playing the guitar. After he leaves the stage what guitarist is going to satisfy me? I found the guitarist to be average and his Dave Matthews style of playing and singing was unoriginal.

This sounds harsher than I mean it to. I did enjoy the show and am so happy they came to Ottawa. They are a generous group of guys who appreciate the scene and the people in it and they are so damn close to what I love, but just not quite. So close I can't even say why.....

I will see them whenever they come around.

Good times last night peeps. You are all awsome.

quote:

Originally posted by bradm:

Highlight of the Nero set, for me, was seeing a Whitey Jam right beside a Dancingfool Jam; I don't think there's a picture of this, but if there is, somebody send it to me.

If someone has the seismic readings, send 'em to me.

Good grief, I think I've gone blind, and I wasn't even there.

In Ms H's defence, I was also slow to warm up to them. Nice groove, but not as tight as Nero had just been. Then again, that was a ultra tight show ("Make Way for Ultra-Tight Nero, champion of 'kicking ass all over the place'!") and I was still coming down from it.

It took about 20 minutes to really get a feel for them and what they were doing. But I was able to rest and just watch, easily, and take some pics. (Don't know how they've come out yet.)

So what's that Whitey Jam bradM talked about? I've no idea, since I was in the middle of it all...

quote:

Originally posted by dancingfool:

So what's that Whitey Jam bradM talked about? I've no idea, since I was in the middle of it all...

Whitey was the guy with the whitish hair who was dancing next to you for a lot of the Nero set.

You know that invisible force-field near the front of the stage at Nero shows? You don't? No, you wouldn't, but it seems to affect a lot of us (myself included, most of the time). Like you, Whitey doesn't feel it. He goes to a Nero show and gets up close and personal near the stage, doing his own dancing/air-guitar thing. When Whitey starts jammin', the party is well underway. When it comes to I'm-dancing-in-my-own-space-and-lovin'-it, Whitey and you are cut from the same cloth, and we are all the better for it.

Aloha,

Brad

P.S. IIRC, the "Whitey Jam" term is an Arcane phrase.

Hey All,

I am glad y'all had fun. After reading all the posts, I feel even more sorry that I couldn't make it. It sounds like I missed a real party. Looking forward to hearing my new CD's...

quote:

Origionally mentioned by Ms. Huxtable

• Perhaps I am becoming spoiled by our most wonderful Phred who has raised the keyboard bar for me.

*blush* Aw.... Shucks... [Roll Eyes] Thanks, but that is not neccessary, I already gave you my tickets. [big Grin]

Phred

I thought the show was kick-ass. Nero was wicked as usual. It's crazy how i've heard all their songs lots but every time they play them they give us fresh looks, different textures and wicked builds and releases that explore new territory. i just never tire of it. That was my fourth Nero show in the past month and each one has been a unique experience. Definately a sign of a good rock band. I'll see y'all at the Black Sheep on Sunday!

Oh yeah, keys and horns were crazy fun (although the keys did lay back the whole time on stage with Nero; not at all with Addison)

I hate to disagree so wholeheartedly with someone but Ms. H must have been at a different show then i was. Yeah- Addison rocks the funk, as do almost every "jamband" (excuse the expression) but they are unique. They were jazzy and slick with shades of Galactic and maybe a little GreyBoy or Karl D. The Dave Mathews references are just lost on me. What the fuck. Find me a Dave song that sounds anywhere near ADG and sign me up. The vocals were sparse and well placed and i thought the dude had a sweet voice. Choice music and good times. Dave spanked out a fatty little solo with ADG and threw in some fun funk chords when layin back. If i wasn't all busted up then i would have been throwin down way hard. It was tough not to dance, painfully so.

took my nephew to the show. His first time seeing Nero or AGP and the kid obviously loved it. He just couldn't get over how amazing it all sounded. Big ups to Adam for letting him in (he just turned 16) and letting the next generation have a chance to share in the groove. He also loved watching Dancing Fool. Sorry to sound as if i'm mocking you dancing fool, but he turned to me and asked "is this guy serious?". Later on the way home he wondered aloud if DF had ever seen the Fat Boy Slim video for Praise You. I almost went off the road i was laughing so hard. No hard feelings intended DF, freak freely.

"one good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain"

quote:

Originally posted by jaybone:

He also loved watching Dancing Fool. Sorry to sound as if i'm mocking you dancing fool, but he turned to me and asked "is this guy serious?". Later on the way home he wondered aloud if DF had ever seen the Fat Boy Slim video for Praise You. I almost went off the road i was laughing so hard. No hard feelings intended DF, freak freely.

As BradM says, when DF dances, people check him for a Medicalert bracelet.

And yes, DF takes his dancing seriously--in a spiritual sense, not an "I dance better than you, you clumsy rutabega" sense. Because of that, DF isn't just fun to watch; he's fun to dance with. (Yeah, I have my "What invisible wall?" moments [smile] )

Jaybone: Don't worry, I know I look weird out there, and I know I'm not the best dancer by far. No offence taken. [smile] And I don't know who Fat Boy Slim are, and obviously never saw their video, or heard the song, so teh allusion is lost on me. You can tell your nephew, though, that I do take dancing seriously, in a way to keep me sane; and that I don't take anything before, during or after, of any kind. Which might scare him more, actually. "He does that straight??" You bet I do. Others manage to dance after partaking, which I can't do, so again, I'm not the best. [big Grin]

And if you people think I'm a freak, in a good way, you haven't seen some of the truly weird people I've frequented on occasion...

First off, I'm going to arrange a Karma Account Transfer, from me to Ms. H. to Phred to bouche; the show on its own was almost too much fun, after winning a ticket, it was almoster too much fun.

Nero was tight and solid; I think Jay's hitting the drums harder than he used to, but still keeping up the rhytmic statistical density. Dave was on fire, as usual, and that 401 was insane. Shane's bass was also, as usual (I'm sensing a theme here...), a joy to behear.

Highlight of the Nero set, for me, was seeing a Whitey Jam right beside a Dancingfool Jam; I don't think there's a picture of this, but if there is, somebody send it to me.

Then the AGP's keyboardist stepped up, and I got even more excited. One problem: the mix wasn't great, and it was hard to hear the keys except in particular places (this was true of AGP's set a well). Then the saxes came up, and I'm thinking: "Blennndeeerrrrrr!!!" One good thing about blendage: intense anarchic musical interactions. One bad thing about blendage: no set breaks. This was the best of both worlds (maybe a set hand-mixer...): far-out and amazing jams, and a rest period.

The saxes during Nero's set were amazing; they were long, impressive and expressive. Having all of it playing over Nero was wondrous.

After the break was over, I came back in and noticed something: Dave's amp was still on stage. The break was, what, an hour?, so they had time to tear it down...maybe, maybe...

AGP was a blast. Live, they hit a lot harder than the MP3s I'd heard (which I said came at jazz/funk from the jazz end; live, there was much more of a P-Funk thing going on). I'm glad there was so much taping going on, 'cause this one's on my list. One thing I noticed them do is what bands like D&T, The New Deal, and the east coast bands (JSB, GTB, Colpaugh) do: they'll set up a groove, and drop (seemingly) random bars/beats into it. It sounds jarring at first, but it makes for a great way to shift the groove.

Seeing Dave step up and get down with the whole band put me over the fun line and into insanity territory. They just kept it going and going...I thought the alto solo during the Nero set was monumental; the tenor solo during the AGP set was even further out there, it was cosmic.

I'm running out of words, and the neurochemicals to allow me to put them together, so I'll sign off now. But:

quote:

Quote of the Night, from doubleB:

These guys are kicking my ass all
over
the place.

Aloha,

Brad

dat was a bit harsh IMO Ms. Huxxx...

i thought they were good musicians--all of them. in particular the bass player stood out for me.

now, they weren't necessarily the most original band but they still rawked! good party time music, and nice guys taboot.

i'd go see them anytime they are close, and would recommend anyone else to do the same.

Yeah I know it was a bit harsh and I do apologize for that. I did enjoy them, they are talented but just not my favorite kind of pie. Yummie none-the-less.

I forget to mention that I was heading out the door to go home when Dave said "I have to get back onstage". How was I supposed to leave then??? [Eek!][Eek!][Eek!] I high-tailed it right back inside and watched the spectacle.

Well said GM. I wish everyone danced the way the music makes them. Just being around Dancing Fool picks up my energy level. When he left on Wednesday night, several people missed him. Our fearless dancing leader had abandoned us into the danceless night. What did we do before you DF?

Whitey, Moe.ron, Stapes and moi. The Solid Gold Dancers!!!!

And yes!!!! Kudos to Babylon for allowing a minor in (never mind that I get hassled every time for ID). As long as they are accompanied by a responsible adult and are there for the right reasons (the music) I say let 'em in! Glad your nephew enjoyed it. You are a fabulous role model for the scene.