Jambands.ca

free Bruce Cockburn show Saturday, Hamilton

MarcO

What's Stephen Fearing like?

While I was living out in Golden this past Winter, I worked at a small cafe which was co-owned by his sister, Jane Fearing. (good voice on her, too!)

Hey - just thought I'd post a few thoughts on this wonderful performance from last night.

Cockburn did indeed play solo acoustic for a VERY large Festival Of Friends crowd. It was sublime. I would describe the tone of last night's show as "peaceful". He referenced Sept. 11th early in the show, which I thought at the time was a little inappropriate. Funny though, suddenly the perofrmance was placed within that context, and it got deeper.

It seemed to me that Cockburn's response to this event was to feature songs of hope and peace, and not just a little of that Christian-mystic vibe that he does so well (when he does it well, that is; some of those mid-70s albums are a little too Christian-minded at times). So, we got beautiful, poignant versions of "Rumours Of Glory", "Wondering Where The Lions Are" and "World Of Wonders", all rather touching I don't mind saying. The only down side was a rather heavy-handed new song called "Trickle Down" which, while effective as serving a message (that is, trickle down economic theories are bad, thanks Bruce...) it unfortunately brought to my mind Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start The Fire", not a good thing at all! Still, with the wind blowing sweet, and the sound actually quite for once at this Festival, and the night sky clear, it was a wonderful night to just kick back and let his poetry drift by you and dig the festival vibe a little.

A classy performance from a treasure of this country. He;s in Owen Sound next Sunday, if anyone wants to know.