Jambands.ca

RIP Mikey.

backbacon

I'm listening to the Bonnaroo WSP (2nd nite) right now. I had heard about WSP from a few people, but never got to see them in person; the first real exposure I had was the ACL show they did, and I remember being impressed by the guitarist: he sat there amidst mounds of equipment, and just played. No posing, no theatrics, just great music and great sound.

The Bonarroo WSP strikes me the same way. We've lost another one, folks.

Aloha,

Brad

Just as the page reloaded so that I could post this, Dying Man began to come out of the speakers - DAMN. (fwiw, they didn't play this song after Mikey was diagnosed)......this is real hard, and I can only compare it to the day Jerry died. Neither man was (WAS!) a relative, but their deaths and the resulting emotions are ones I have only felt when I did lose my father and my mother. For Mikey (as was Jerry) was a part of my life. I knew this was coming, and shed many tears. but that didn't stop the tears from flowing today or right now as i type this.

I was lucky enough to meet Mikey on two occassions. And shared a puff with him both those times. We were like minded, I guess! We both ended up in that part of the room. No pretensions about him.

Life is real. it ebbs and flows. As I experience this intense sorrow today, I am preparing for the birth of my second child, which should be happening any day now.

RIP Mikey.

Beams to the Houser family>>>>>>>>>>>>

Trey:

“Michael Houser was truly one of the kindest and most beautiful people that I've ever met. I say that from the deepest part of my heart. He was unique. The first time I met him was backstage at the Roxy in Atlanta when Phish was opening for Panic. Dave Schools brought me into the dressing room and there he was, kneeling in front of his wife Barbette, who was sitting in a chair. They were holding hands and he was just lost in her eyes, radiating love. I've never forgotten that moment. She was pregnant with Waker at the time and it was like they were actually glowing, not even aware of all the noise and commotion around them. Just at peace, floating. He was capable of that kind of emotion and it was beautiful. Just a rare, beautiful thing. I know that people who love his music already know this. We'll all miss him terribly.”

posted on the band's web site last night:

Message from Mikey's family

We want to thank all of Mikey's fans and friends for their love and support during this difficult time. Your letters, emails, and acts of kindness and thoughtfulness have helped us through a time that seemed almost impossible to endure. It gave strength and happiness to Michael to know how much he was loved. We know you grieve also and our hearts go out to you.

So many of you have said that you were touched by his kindness, sensitivity, and humility. Michael was always aware that it was you, the fans, who allowed him to do what he loved. He was deeply grateful for having the opportunity to make people happy with his music, and for being a part of Widespread Panic. He continued playing after discovering his illness because music was his life and being on stage during the spring and summer tours was the most normal thing he could have done with the rest of his life.

Michael would be absolutely devastated if the band did not continue as Widespread Panic. He, and all of them, have worked for 20 years to make it what it is today. They have a history, a legacy, and a loyal fan following that will stick with them through this transition.

We wish the best for the entire Widespread Panic family - the band, the music and the fans - and look forward to great shows for many more years. As Mikey would say, "We hope to see you there."