Jambands.ca

I'm sick of all these jewel cases!Any ideas?.

puddles

...I need an alternative to store my freakin' 600+ CDs!!!Its getting outta hand!...what do you pholks do?...I have some in sleves,case-logics,jewels,doubles...its SICK and ugly!!!...help...oh,and gimme a Canadian website if you have one to a store buy leather binders or what have ya...merci!...salut....pudds. [Cool]

Well, I am still in the Jewel world. It may be due to my old tape collecting days, I dont know. But Puddles, I am with you. Once you hit the 'hundred's' mark, something has to be done.

Davey Boy and Treyter have cd books that hold at least 50-75. Now, as great and as efficient as they are at saving room, I get worried about losing that many cd's at once.

Lord knows, I am anal enough about this stuff [Razz]

Well one thing I've been doing to cut down on the size shows take up is: I've been buying doulble cases, and making a booklet thing for the front, that stores the 3rd cd. So now, 3 cd's fit in one case. That helps a little...

However since I've been buying spindles I have no cases, and I must buy more. I've found double slims for $0.50 in Toronto. Anyone found better deals?

OK, i have probably close to 600 shows in BOTH shn AND Audio format. This translates into the thousands for the number of discs im dealing with. To me, the best way to store them is with caselogic double sided sleeves stored in tupper ware like plastic drawers on coasters. the drawers i have are made be "gracious living" and cost about 30 bucks (3 drawer tower). Each drawer has enough room for two rows of 150-200 caselogic sleeves which translates to a maximum capacity of 1800-2400 discs in one tower depending on how much you want to stuff the drawers, and how many cds in each sleeve (1 or 2).

Caselogic sleeves can get a bit pricey. staples has them...and you can order packs of 300 from the states for around 30 bucks. they come with little paper inserts that are ideal for labeling your shows.

I your looking for looks, this isn't the way to go. its just a plastic drawer system on wheels stuffed with discs. certainly doesn't have the snazzy jewel case look but it saves A SHITLOAD of space and they are dead easy to move...

I keep all my shows in cases. singles, thin double cases (which, like CyberHippie, I turn into three disc cases by adding in the folded thicker stock paper insert), and quad cases (which can hold up to six discs) for multi disc shows. (Big Cypress fits into two quads - 12 discs!)

I make covers for all my shows. Often I can find pre designed covers on the internet. That is really handy.

When I get new shows in, before they have covers made for them, I put them into sleeves. I label each paper sleeve in the upper left corner...

ie:

GD 1

... and then file them into a thin, ideally sized box that fits about 150 discs. They stay filed in this manner until I make up cases and then are put on the shelf with the cased shows.

I note on my personal cdr list whether the show is in sleeves or in a case on the shelf so I know where to look when I want to listen a show.

This method was working great but over the past quite a while it's gotten out of control. I have about 700 discs in the cases and nearly 400 discs maybe filed in the 'sleeve' system waiting to have covers made.

[Eek!]

To answer your question though, I'd say going with a filing system, eiher using paper sleeves or the plastic, double sided ones that SolarGarlic was talking about, is the best way to save space and solve that annoying cases dilemma. I don't think using spindles is that great of an idea as it's rather difficult to quickly find the discs you're looking for.

quote:

Originally posted by Sally:

I'd looooove to get my hands on all of these disheveled cd's!!! To listen to, yes....but even more so to ORGANIZE! ORGANIZE! ORGANIZE!!! I have sweeeeet chills!
[Eek!]

I'm with you, Sally. Three quarters of my immediate family have worked in public libraries (and my Mom volunteers at the library at my former Jr. Public school); I used to spend whole days at work, checking and organizing shelves of books...OK, I'm a book geek...

I only have about 250 CDs, so still use a CD rack. I got mine at Simply Wood in Ottawa, and I love it: it's about 3' x 3', five shelves, holds about 300 or so CDs. Most CD racks are tall and thin, which makes it Hell because I organize alphabetically by artist, then chronologically within an artist. With a tall thin rack, when I buy, say, a Cannonball Adderly CD, I end up having to shift and shift and shift down the rack. With fewer wider shelves, there's less shifting involved.

Aloha,

Brad