Jambands.ca

Fishman & Lalonde do Zappa

Jaimoe

I would have added " Inca Roads " from You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol. 2 - Zappa's gratest solo. Also, " Penguins In Bondage " from Roxy & Elsewhere and " Carolina Hardcore Ectasy " from Bongo Fury. All and all, not a bad compilation list. I have all the albums too.

In our continuing effort to bring new and lasting listeners into the expansive Frank Zappa musical landscape, Rykodisc is pleased to announce the unveiling of the first two releases in our Zappa Picks series: Zappa Picks - By Jon Fishman of Phish http://www.rykodisc.com/Catalog/dump/rykoalbums_1271.asp (RCD 10584), and Zappa Picks - By Larry LaLonde of Primus http://www.rykodisc.com/Catalog/dump/rykoalbums_1272.asp (RCD 10585). These compilations, made up of tracks hand selected from the Rykodisc catalog of original Zappa recordings, were prepared with the loving care and affection of admitted Zappa fanatics - together they cover a broad range of Frank Zappa's musical career and feature extensive personal liner notes.

"…it is safe to say that the work of Frank Zappa, his music primarily, but also his humor, politics, social commentary...all of it...has not just been a fundamental influence on me, but is actually more like part of my metabolism."

- Jon Fishman from Phish

"I find this music so wonderful that no matter what I'm listening to, or just finding out about, Frank's music is always on my personal play list, and I never get tired of it. How could you?"

- Larry LaLonde from Primus

Zappa Picks – By Jon Fishman of Phish

1. Excentrifugal Forz - from Apostrophe (’)

2. Apostrophe (’) - from Apostrophe (’)

3. Magdalena - from Just Another Band From L.A.

4. Dog Breath - from Just Another Band From L.A.

5. Cheepnis - from Roxy & Elsewhere

6. Son of Orange County - from Roxy & Elsewhere

7. More Trouble Every Day - from Roxy & Elsewhere

8. It Can't Happen Here - from Freak Out!

9. Keep It Greasey - from Joe’s Garage

10. For Calvin (And His Next Two Hitch-Hikers)

- from The Grand Wazoo

11. What Ever Happened To All The Fun In the World

- from Sheik Yerbouti

12. Rat Tomago - from Sheik Yerbouti

13. Wait A Minute - from Sheik Yerbouti

14. It Just Might Be A One-Shot Deal - from Waka/Jawaka

15. I’m The Slime - from Over-nite Sensation

16. Sofa No. 2 - from One Size Fits All

Zappa Picks – By Larry LaLonde of Primus

1. five-five-FIVE - from Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar

2. Dumb All Over - from You Are What You Is

3. Alien Orifice - from Make A Jazz Noise Here

4. Camarillo Brillo - from Over-nite Sensation

5. Evelyn, A Modified Dog - from One Size Fits All

6. Wild Love - from Sheik Yerbouti

7. G-Spot Tornado - from Jazz From Hell

8. Dog Breath - from Just Another Band From L.A.

9. Little Umbrellas - from Hot Rats

10. Fine Girl - from Tinsel Town Rebellion

11. Sofa No. 2 - from One Size Fits All

12. Village Of The Sun - from Roxy & Elsewhere

13. Echidna's Arf (Of You) - from Roxy & Elsewhere

14. Wind Up Workin' In A Gas Station - from Zoot Allures

15. St. Alfonzo’s Pancake Breakfast - from Apostrophe (')

16. Black Page #2 - from Zappa In New York

17. Fembot In A Wet T-Shirt - from Joe's Garage

18. On The Bus - from Joe's Garage

19. Doreen - from You Are What You Is

I dunno, it kind of reminds me of the YCDTOSA series, stuff from different years jumbled around..there already is Cheap Thrills, Strictly Commercial and Have I Offended Someone...why more compilations? I mean really, how is anyone supposed to truly experience Zappa without listening to an album all the way through?

Would you understand conceptual continuity?

Definitely not. How are you supposed to understand the ties between the lyrics in Apostrophe and the picture in Chunga's revenge? The song structures in Joe's Garage revisited in Thing-fish? The Waka Jawaka/Hot Rats link? Hell, Cal Schenkel's artwork and the graphic continuity is so intertwined with the lyrics, It makes these releases sound even more useless.

Maybe Phil Lesh and Maynard from Tool could take a few of my favourite books and start their own series of Readers Digest Condensed stories.....

Good to see some live stuff coming out though-wish they would concentrate on that....I mean his vault rivals the Deads....although I guess Dweezil's Picks doesn't have the ring of Dicks Picks....