Jambands.ca

It's ALL about Moe Down

Booche

Where does one begin?

Well, I will wait til later to get it out, but HOLY SMOKES! Best weekend of the summer, nothing comes close........

Every act, every moment was top-notch. EVERY act, seriously!

Robert Randolf smoked my sorry ass. He even taught us how to dance like Dave Andrews, and he calls it the "dance of love" or something like that. Galactic, Particle, MMW, Derek Trucks and lets not forget about the Moe Monster Madness.

There was seemingly constant guest stars with every act, and there was tiny set blender during Moes set yesterday. Something Named song by Moe> Galactic joins> Moe leaves the stage>Moe comes back>Galactic leaves stage. I dont know the song names just yet, I am sorry, but I am new to the Moe game (but, i WILL be going for the Moe of Mayerdown next year. Yes, you are reading that right. Please, take time to vote for me. Lets get a Canuck to win it, not one of those half-bred ones [Wink] )

The bass player kicks it. Kicks it. Kicks it. And Chuck (?) on guitar knocked me back too (specially when he joing RR and the Family Band)

I still have visions of Requiem For Insanity in my head. Yeah, I know it is called Recreational Chemistry now, but I giggle at what I thought it was called. Lets just say, you can buy whatever your pleasure was, and mine was pleasure, so Treyter kept buying it [big Grin]

DO NOT MISS MOE DOWN NEXT YEAR!

(more to come later, I have notes and a Top Ten list. This will get as fun as Pounder yelling "IF YOU F'IN DRUMMERS PLAY TONIGHT, I AM GOING TO KILL EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU! I HAVE A KNIFE AND I WILL STICK IT IN YOUR SKIN! I'M FROM CANADA AND THEY CAN DEPORT ME! IF YOU THINK I AM KIDDING, JUST TRY ME!!! YOUR NO KEITH MOON!")

[Eek!][big Grin][Wink][big Grin]

Pounder for Prime Minister! Great time this weekend. Cool to meet a few of the Skanks, (too briefly though). Music was awesome. 1st time seeing Particle, they rip! RR was devastating as usual. moe. simply kicked my Ass, as always. I'll have to bring the " Pounder" up to Ottawa one of these days to tell his "naked Grandmother story" Cheers :-)

As always- not quite enough time to make the rounds and party with all the folks you want to- but that is just cause there is so damn much good music to take in...yah- moedown.!!!- till next time...see ya around- hope to see you the upcoming DiscoBiscuits Shows and maybe the Ritche Havens show, A Kimock Hornsby show--- and of course- good luck to all the sancturarians that want those MSG tickets!

Tasha

IMnsHO, this was the party of the summer. I thought the Flaps venue was amazing, but it's plain-jane compared to Snow Ridge, especially when the fireworks got lit up 'round midnight Sunday. It was about the right size (4500-5000 attendees), had great vendors (who serve breakfast! burritos are the way to start the day), including Magic Hat brewery (a micro from Burlington, VT), good camping, and all-round great feel.

But the music! Great googly moogly, it was awesome, not a dud among them. Derek Trucks slayed me (especially his version of "Afro Blue"), Robert Randolph scoured my brain out with his intensity, and moe.! My God, moe.!

My entries for Quotes of the Weekend:

Booche, to treyter, during tent set-up Friday night: "You're sleeping on the wet spot tonight."

CanuckDuck to treyter, offering him a beer: "You like Busch, don't you?"

Special thanks to The Sloth for goading me into going, big shout-out to CanuckDuck for the ride, and for the hook-up with John and Jamie-Lynn.

Make plans for next year, people.

Aloha,

Brad

The only Moe song I knew was Timmy Tucker from a road trip to Kingston with Jaybone and DoubleB.

I knew the covers and that was it..........

As far as party supplies were concerned, too much of everything was just enough.

"And I get f'in hiiiiiiiiiiigghhh!!!!!!!!"

Who were the naysayers? I just didnt know them before. Rob is a MEAN bass player!

One of the things I like about moe. is the way (IMHO) the guitarists are almost equally matched: they both play rhythm (and moe. rhythm patterns go 'way beyond simple/easy chord changes), both play lead, and both play slide. Add that to the way the whole front line sings, and it makes for a much more interesting band to watch.

Aloha,

Brad

This weekend was amazing. The music couldn't have been much better. The meat opener made me lose my shit and i never really found it again 'till Monday morning. Kinda upset that i missed some of the moe. side projects but i really enjoyed all the bands i did see. JMP, MMW, Galactic were all amazing as usual. Three of the best drummers in the bizz on display this weekend. All three days were filled with amazing music. It was my first time catching both Partical and Robert Randolph and they were great. RR's version of Thank-you for Lettin me Be Mice Elf got me shakin my shit. Saturday's moe. set really floored me. Rec Chem was the ill shit and Timmy T was different then usual, slower, darker and when they busted into the Gin and Juice i was pretty much busting out of my skin...BIATCH!!! Sunday's Opium into Rebubula was oh so good and i always love Plane Crash. The Don't Fuck With Flo encore was a rare treat that I had been waiting to see for a damn long time. It didn't disapoint.

The late night scene made for some hillarious moments. My favorite memory of the weekend was at 8am at the disco tent. A dude pimped out in yellow slacks, a fur jacket crazy shoes, hat and cane basically downed a 60 oz of Jack. I honestly watched the guy chug about a third of the bottle in about 10 minutes. Hard core mo'fo. Oh yeah, the same guy was up and kickin' again in time to catch Robert Randolph in the afternoon. I was impressed.

Oh yeah....just one more thing to say..."Pass the roast beef and make with the ass!"

I think Ive finally recovered enough to participate in reality again.

What a blast!!!! Like Booche said there wasnt a low point in the music. All the band selections seemed to work perfectly. moe. opening up the Saturday was a such smart thing to do. Really got the crowd going for a full day of music. I cant remember a labour day weekend that had nicer weather.

Big thanks to everyone who made it down and made it such a great time to be there and hope to see even more people there next year.

wowza...Moe.down really knocked my socks off..I really got a kick out of walking down the tent city streets having "vendors" offer up anything under the sun.. Talk about convenience.. "Now its a party" [Eek!][Eek!]

So many bands had me shaking my head in disbelief. One thing in particular made me smile...That youngster Derek trucks forgot to plug in at the start of one song, played a few notes, sheepishly glanced over at his band to see if they noticed.. and beckoned them to take the reigns without him while he casually hooked in.. Not many people noticed, but the ones that did, including the band, shared in a little laugh that this boy wonder sometimes fucks up like everyone else... [Embarrassed]

Great weekend all.. Awesome time and a big cheers goes out to all of the skanks that made it a blast..

WOW!!! more awsome music to rock my soul.

My tailfeathers are plum worn out from all that shakin'

Cheers to Sloth for filling me in on song titles and background tidbits..."what was the name of the song that went like this...what was that other song where they said this..."

Thanks to all for the good chuckles and awsome company!

dang, thoose portapotty's where cleaner then my bathroom at home. [Eek!]

"Whoa, hoa what I want to knoooooow..."

Where is Flute Girl?

MEAT WAS WICKED!!!!!!

And the Moth, oh my lord, the Moth.....so thats what it was called [Razz]

Special guests performed with moe. over the weekend at the third annual moe.down in Turin, NY. On Friday, Jazz Mandolin Project’s Jamie Masefield (mandolin) and Jon Fishman (drums) joined the band for “Meat,” which opened the show. Guitarist Seth Yacovone sat in on Saturday, during “Sensory Deprivation Bank” midway through the second set. On Sunday, Galactic took the stage, replacing each member of moe. during “Moth” (in similar fashion to the moe./Gov’t Mule jam from 5/2/02 at the Orpheum Theater in New Orleans). After ten minutes or so, moe. returned to finish the song.

On Friday, moe. guitarist Al Schnier joined Jazz Mandolin Project and also sat in with Particle on Saturday. Bassist Rob Derhak performed with the Seth Yacovone Band on Saturday.