Jambands.ca

Austin Lowe RIP ( Kingston musician )

Jaimoe

I just read that former Wild Blues Yonder saxophonist /singer and current The Commotionaires member and KCVI teacher Austin Lowe died of heart attack Friday. This really saddens me. Some of my fondest memories of my time at Queen's was when I used to go to see Wild Blues Yonder at AJ's Hanger; I went semi-regularly in the late 80s early 90s with Davey Boy and ( sometimes ) Brels. Actually, WBY was one of the first bands that I would go out of my to see live. They were always fun. I never saw any of his other 4 or so bands live ( since I live in Toronto now ), but I knew he was involved heavily in Kingston's music community.

I think that Austin in his own way, was as important to the Kingston music scene as was/is Joe Chitlin. Joe's legacy and influence lives on and I hope that Austin's does too. He pioneered the radio and multi-media program at KCVI - where he established a student radio station. Austin collapsed on stage at this summer's Limestone Blues Festival and never regained consciousness. He was keeping the blues alive in Kingston and Austin was bringing blues into the classroom. That is an almost radical legacy in this day and age of bubble-gum pop and nu-metal. RIP Austin. I know that you're playing a mean sax solo somewhere right around now.

What a sad way to wake up on a Saturday morning. Austin was a SUPER nice guy. He went out and supported music as often as he could, one could see him at a garage bands first gig, or at a Luther Wright night. He loved music and will sorely be missed. He had a great laugh...........

yes, i was very sad to read his obituary last week. i think it is important to note that he didn't regain consciousness after he collapsed on stage during the blues fest in the city that he loved, playing in confederation basin, with his band. he was doing exactly what he loved to do......right to the last moment.