Jambands.ca

Iron Maiden's Bruce Dickinson hits new height

h

Iron Maiden's Bruce Dickinson hits new heights

LONDON (AP) -- Bruce Dickinson, singer for heavy metal veterans Iron Maiden, is hitting new heights in his second career as a commercial airline pilot.

"It's a great job," Dickinson told the Daily Telegraph. "Nothing else compares."

Charter airline Astraeus confirmed that Dickinson, 44, serves as first officer on Boeing 737s flying between Britain and holiday destinations in Europe, North Africa and the Middle East.

The band -- famous for long hair and high-pitched hits like Run to the Hills -- formed in the late 1970s and still has a loyal following.

"We have had Iron Maiden fans on board who, when they heard my name being announced as first officer, asked the hostesses if it was the rock star," Dickinson said.

"When told it was they spent the flight with their jaws on the floor then ask if they can have a chat with me."

Dickinson, who got his commercial pilot's licence in the 1990s, performs with Iron Maiden during holidays from his airline job. In June, a rereleased Run to the Hills reached No. 9 on the British singles chart.

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is your pilot speaking. My name is Bruce and I currently have a cucumber in my spandex pants, so no funny stuff ok? I'd like to introduce you to our co-pilot for this flight, Beezlebub, the Prince of Darkness, and if anyone has any cocaine, please feel free to join me in the front lounge, er, I mean the cockpit. That is all and praise be to you, o Great Satan!"

[Roll Eyes]