Jambands.ca

bullfrog

CharlieDon'tSurf

I'm about halfway through my second listen to their Evolve set, and, well, my opinion hasn't changed: I'm just not that impressed. I'd say they were a $5 band; certainly not a $15 band.

doubleB has a criticism of Stairwell K that also applies here: when they do get a hard groove/jam going, they cut it off, arbitrarily, and 'way too soon*.

Also, their sound is kind of loungish to me. (I'm reminded of that part of "Repo Man" where the punk band ends up doing cheezy lounge music, much to the chagrin of Otto.)

I think I'll pass.

Aloha,

Brad

* Notable exception: Stairwell K's set from Flaps: they were asked to extend their set (due to another band's no-show, IIRC), and they did jam things out, wonderfully.

know what...

almost passed on the show...now, based on the conflicted response to them... i'm not so sure i won't go...if it is just the one show, i guess it can't hurt, now can it?

well, maybe it'll hurt in the pocket book if its 15 samolis for the cover...wowzers!!!![Eek!]

i get paid that day, so i'll be "rich" for a moment or two...

P.S. thanx for all the input guys and gals... you all rock! (oops, has the Skank made the transition to "Evil Skankdom" or can I still be all hippy-nice and whatnot? [Razz] )

I would have agreed with everything said if I hadn't caught them at Hillside and Evolve. They are definitely much better outdoors and with a big appreciative crowd. The setlists are identical, they've got 'their show' as the band puts it, but I think they've actually been mixing it up a little. I really liked their Hillside set and was blown away that they pulled out the stops at Evolve. My girlfriend had said 'I'd hate to be them' after the Slip played and I tended to agree (they were loving the Slip by the way). Their rythym section is tight, Massimo, Santiago and Joanne- stellar. I like Blu Rum 13 (James) flow, Mark the lead guitar is a real songsmith/ producer craftsman, and Koala's sick of course. They were definitely playing a sort of psychedelic tweaked set at Evolve likely feeding of the crazed energy and teeming rain. I had totally expected it would blow but they really blew me away. When you think about it they're good friends, have been together over nine years and they're real craftspeople at their instruments. They have a sophisticated understanding of a variety of percussive styles of music, a rooting in R & B tradition, a great frontman and great songs. I may be a little let down to see them in a club the next time but my opinion has taken a full one eighty.

'k, so it's like 3 am and i'm drunk as a mofo so give a brotha' a brake, but i just got back from the show and i say that it was fun stuff! 3rd time seeing this band andI i really enjoyed it. Great hip-hop and funk being thrown around and the crowd was diverse (not to mention packed!!! like no other "jamband" ever to play Babylon) and pretty hip. Go check'em out...I wouldn't sign up for tour but they are definately worth going to see. Kid Koala is stupid good. So the only bad thing i gotta say is that the way they "jam" definately leaves me wanting more. It reminded me of "herbalizer", for those who know, they build it up and then pull the plug. It's a style that gets me hyped and kinda lets me down at the same time. The groove builds and builds and i start throwin down and right when the groove breaks into what i think is gonna be the next groove or somethin', the song ends. I've learned to accept that is the way some bands work (quit while yer ahead) but it still kinda hurts each time. Still, check these kids out, $15 well spent and that's what it's all about.