Jambands.ca

Question of the Day

Velvet

If you could send one album to all your friends in an effort to introduce/reintroduce them to some fantastic music they might be missing out on, what would it be?

I'll have to put two: 1) anything by the Sisters Euclid, a Toronto band featuring star guitarist Kevin Breit, and they play every Monday night at the Orbit Room on College for $5, and 2) The Brothers Creeggan. Yep, the bass player and the former keyboard/conga player for the Barenaked Ladies have released three albums together, and it is some of the more creative pop stuff you'll hear in a while. And yeah, it's pretty much just bass/congas/piano/vocals. I can't believe nobody on this board took my advice to see them at Zaphod's in the spring. Next time.

Check 'em out and tell me if I'm nuts!

Hey Todd,

Good string!

Just so my pick doesn't seem biased, I'll pick something I wish I could send to people to get them into. I have of course, sent more than a dozen copies of nero shows to friends across the US.........

If I had to pick just one cd:

Rheostatics- The Blue Hysteria

Not only is it amazing music, that many seem to ignore or hate- the artwork is special (and done by Mr Martin Tielli), and the production is second to nothing in Canadian rock.

Anyone want a copy? I would be happy to oblige.

I think Gord Downie says it best on The Hips release "Live Between Us"..... "special thanks to the Rheostatics, we are richer for having seen them this evening."

I certainly feel richer for having been exposed to this eclectic, intelligent, genre bending piece of CanCon.

Peace

Sean

The New Deal - Sound+Light Vol 2: 4-5-00 Guelph

Why? Because it is a mind-bending document of what it is these three dudes from T.O. do so well: lay down decisive grooves while simultaneously engaging in an extremely high level of musical conversation. Their studio album, while good, doesn't make as persuasive an argument as to just how good they are. I've played this for people and noticed that annoyed look on their face as the disc starts with Darren Shearer's beatboxing. Then, within about ten minutes they are just loving it! [big Grin]

Their next sound+light release comes out in the next month or two. I don't know what show it is from but I do know: it is a Canadian show and it will run into 2 discs. Can't wait!

Oh yeah....

And without the Rheostatics, I would probably have taken a couple of more years to meet Alan Dodson and Scottie King.

Twas a weird occurence when I first moved to London, ON. The first night I was there I went to Call the Office to check out the Rheos and who should I run into but Scottie, Alan and Mike Tamasi.

Good Times and Good Memories!

Wish I was back in Ontario.

Sean

quote:

Originally posted by Ms.Huxtable:

BradM, I thought that brown stuff under your nose was a moustache!

Hurt, hurt, I am, that you would think I had ulterior motives for an honest, from-the-heart, posting. I'm so hurt, well, I may have to stay in every night this week...even Thursday...

quote:

Just kidding. YAY nero!!!

Oh, yeah, as if a "Just kidding" can undo such an accusation. Forest fires of hurt cannot be extinguished by thimblefulls of platitudes.

Excuse me, I have to go pout now. [Frown]

Aloha,

Brad

Knowing that most of my friends don't seem to have a taste for jamband stuff (or a lot of other stuff I like), I'd have to set aside the nero album (no offense, guys) and pick one of the following:

• [*]"Let the Wind Blow High"-- Enter the Haggis[*]"Aerials"--Enter the Haggis[*]"Strictly Commercial"--Frank Zappa[*]"The Yellow Shark"--help me out, Brad ... Berlin Symphony Orchestra?

Remember Rule number 1: Know your audience.

It's a tough call--my friends cover a lot of turf, personality-wise.

Guest Low Roller

"Without A Net - CD 2" - Grateful Dead (indoctrination in progress)

"Soup"- Blind Melon (indoctrination complete)

Infected Mushroom (conditioning complete)

"The Music Has Right To Children" Boards of Canada

quote:

Originally posted by h:

ok, i quite enjoy Peter Gabriels Passion cd which contains the soundtrack music he put together for the last temptation of christ...

i think you would enjoy it if you havent heard it

An excellent choice, h. Can't go wrong with this beautiful cycle of music.

Yup, a love of the Rheos helped me meet lots of good folk (Sean, in particular).

Met Sean for the first time before and during a Fatties show in Kitchener. At the same time I was helping out a bunch of people in SW Ontario get live Phish tapes through my old site (Canadian Phish Tape-Traders). Mike Tamasi was one of those (and by far the coolest). Went to his cottage in Grand Bend a few times where I met Scottie King. Was hanging out with Mike and Scott one day and mentioned the Rheostatics were playing that night in London. I might be wrong, but I don't think Scott or Mike had seen (and heard... heh) them before. At the show introduced Sean and Mike and Scott. History was made, and the meagre crew of Starship Harpua was formed. Sean's girlfriend got too drunk, they had to leave, Sean missed an incredible Junction Foil Ball.

Anyhoo, to answer the question, Rheostatics - Double Live. No other band can hold a candle to the genius in those guys. You Toronto people; take advantage of the Green Sprouts Music Week: Rheostatics every night between November 13 & 24 at the Horseshoe. Wicked times.

See them at all costs!!

ad

There's a John Coltrane quote I've been trying to remember / dig up for a while now, and this thread, along with the "What do you like about the Sanctuary" QotD, finally prompted me to go through the liner notes of my Coltrane albums:

quote:

From the liner notes to
Crescent
:

The main thing a musician would like to do is to give a picture to the listener of the many wonderful things he knows of and senses in the universe.

Although it was written from the perspective of a musician, I think it applies just as equally to this kind of community, and to individuals when they try to introduce the music they like to the people who are important to them.

Aloha,

Brad

quote:

Originally posted by bradm:

quote:

From the liner notes to
Crescent
:

The main thing a musician would like to do is to give a picture to the listener of the many wonderful things he knows of and senses in the universe.

... unless you're Pink Floyd.

(Hey, I *like* Pink Floyd.)

Geez, with all this Rheos gushing I can't help but join in. Ahhh good times, good times. And don't worry, Sean, Ontario misses you too. Come home for a visit soon. AD, I'll tell Tamasi you said hi (he started teaching grade 8 this week)

And now on to the question. I think I'll tackle this from two angles. One recommendation to non-heads for jamband and one for heads outside the sphere.

Lately I've been springing the Grand Theft Bus set from CTMF on non-heads and they have responded very well. As well, a little SCI has been known to spruce up a party.

And for my brothers and sisters here, check out Gomez's first album, Bring it On. Two wicked singers, Brit band with jamband sensibilites and great song writing. As well, if you're not already Hawksley Workman fans, shame on you. SHAME!

I love these threads...so much of my musical pursuit has been forwarded by discussions with like-minded people....always a surprise in the wings...

Ahhh man i've been loving music since I put down what my sister listened to at 12(ummm i think it was a-ha and mister mister....) and developed outta my def leppard days...had a good core group of friends in high school that was into good/outsider/challenging music so we all turned each other onto some cool stuff....here's my list of stuff that's made life more interesting/rewarding/beautiful for me....

hopefully one of them will do something for you too-

---------------------------------------------------

-=Highschool Daze=-

Red House Painters - S/T (roller coaster cover)

-Beautiful and melodic, this one carried me through a few relationships and crushes....very sad tones but with an indescribable intensity

Butthole Surfers - Independent Worm Saloon

-Produced by John Paul Jones, this one is definitely the most listenable surfers album...I love the crazy pyscho-billy sounds of the previous ones but this is the only surfers album that fuggin rocks all the way through...

Mercury Rev - Yerself Is Steam

-what to say here...the hidden track(you gotta watch the numbers change on this puppy) is one of the best psychedelia love songs ever, the production is groundbreaking(Flaming Lips, Wilco, Pavement, they all borrow from the techniques here) and the album is a grungey psychedelic romp with all kinds of crazy instrumentation including saws, french horns and other orchestration, and some seriously kick-ass guitar sounds...

-=Techno=-

Orbital - Snivilization

Orb - Orbus Terrarum

A friend invited me over in 2nd year college to hear these albums...i'd heard 'techno' in high school but it was mostly relegated to the Chris Sheppard Pirate Radio Sessions(thank god he's gone for the most part) These two albums opened my eyes and made for some of the more intense tripping experiences of my life....Now this is 94-95, so some of the sounds may be 'dated' a bit, but these were some of the first examples that truly had some musical and artistic merit....

Schpongle - Schpongle Falls

-This renewed my faith that good electronic music wasn't completely dead....unbelieveably psychedelic, it is a world beatish romp through some very progressive musical terrains....couple epics on this album.

-=Other electronic=-

DJ Food - Recipe For Disaster/Refried Food

-This is what lead to my piqued interest in the Ninjatune offerings, between DJ Food and Coldcut, there are so many mixed cd's and original tunes that kick ass it's amazing to find that the rest of the label mostly kicks similar assage. This started a whole branch in my collection of cd's-downtempo/triphop/beats and breaks or whatever the hell it's been transmogrified into now but it spurned so much rewarding stuff....here's some of the best:

Thievery Corporation - Lebanese Blonde

Kruder & Dorfmeister - K7 Sessions

Kid Loco - DJ Kicks

Fila Brazillia - Power Clown

Fila Brazillia - A Touch of Cloth

Mr. Scruff - Keep It Unreal

Herbalizer - Session One

-=FUNK=-

Funkadelic - Funkadelic

Funkadelic - America Eats it's Young

-The first time I heard funkadelic I was blown away...i think i played and replayed 'Loose Booty' all night long. These 2 albums are mind-numbing in their song quality, arrangements and playing....George Clinton at his best. Neither suffers from his shit production either....

James Brown - Funk Power

-Sure we've all listened to JB, i mean he's the Godfather right? This album destroys any doubt in your mind that he was THE man. This was a long unreleased rumour-but it finally saw the light of day in 96.... the original JB's-the backing band, are his funkiest. Recorded in 70, this is the small band that took over after his big lineup quit(think Fred Wesley, Maceo Parker, etc...) the JB's featured a teenage bootsy collins, and as a 5 piece were james brown's tightest band....super long versions of the songs with the tightest rhythm section ever...

Jimmy McGriff - Electric Funk

-There's tons of awesome bluenote stuff out there, there's plenty of organ funk on that label as well.....This one is definitely the pedigree. Also check out Groove Holmes, Brother Jack McDuff, Jimmy Smith, Lonnie Smith....

Some goodies for the Adventurous:

Red Snapper - Prince Blimey

Can - Ege Bamyasi

Can - Flow Motion

Fripp & Eno - Evening Star

I just had to pipe in again after reading Erics post.

This kind soul has single handedly changed my whole music collection. I know we all started out listening to "I Remember You", but it just took that one friend who had a huge collection and better yet a huge heart to share it- to let us all in on something just a little more meaningful.

I always fancied myself a music fan, and sought out new stuff etc. But Mr Tungsten Gruvsten has expanded my horizons tenfold. For any of you who wish to explore djs, jazz, funk, Zappa or any other deep music: consult Eric!

He has introduced me to some of my all time favorite tunes, artists and albums. From Brother Jack McDuff, Pavement, Mercury Rev, Fila Brazilia, Amon Tobin and Red Snapper- I just don't think my ears will ever be the same.

Thanks Edub.

Sean