Jambands.ca

Question of the Day

Velvet

I would have to lean towards:

==> reintroducing any of these 3 solid Stones albums... Goats Head Soup, Beggar's Banquet and Sticky Fingers.

==> introducing Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

.... and I have been having a slight obsession lately with insisting on hearing Nirvana's "In Bloom" cranked full blast at 5am during a night of partying. I love that song.

I've done the just kidding thing too but you're right it does reek a little of "i dont mean to be an asshole but..." type of statement eh? like what is that? excuse me but i'm going to be an ass as if that makes it alright. [big Grin]

are we only talking jammy music? or can i say like the white album or quadrophenia? or the first beastie boys? (all albums i've been trying to use to get my niece off the top 10 train- back to basics stuff)

ah, M snuck in there before me with some other back to basic albums

its probably a different thread cuz then you have to do a whole history of music thing with people blues, dylan, ziggy stardust lou reed god it would go on forever

I think the key thing is the "might be missing out" qualification. Something like Quadrophenia, or the Rolling Stones albums, are pretty easy to spot, especially if they're reissues, because there'll probably be big promotional displays at your local HMV or whatever.

Something like the Brothers Creeggan, moe., or nero, OTOH, are pretty easy to miss, because they don't get a lot (if any) press or promotion.

I was going to suggest Miles Davis / "Kind Of Blue" and/or John Coltrane / "A Love Supreme", but again, those albums are well-known, and well-promoted. I think "hidden treasures" are more fun to spring on people.

Aloha,

Brad

yes i agree

so big time i guess is also well known, i'll have to think about it for a few...

ok, i quite enjoy Peter Gabriels Passion cd which contains the soundtrack music he put together for the last temptation of christ...

i think you would enjoy it if you havent heard it

I agree with you (BradM, H) with your point about the hidden gems... when I responded I was thinking of playing the tunes for people who wouldn't know that these albums were obvious choices. These were more choices for "non connisseurs" of music.

Especially with the Stones, I was thinking of those people who have only ever heard the "Hot Rocks" album, for example, or maybe "Angie" on the radio and hadn't ever been exposed to "100 Years Ago", "Moonlight Mile", etc.

Hidden gems is another story.... I'll rethink this one....

Hey Velvet, great thread!

quote:

Originally posted by Velvet:

If you could send one album to all your friends in an effort to introduce/reintroduce them to some fantastic music they might be missing out on, what would it be?

I'll have to put two: 1) anything by the Sisters Euclid, a Toronto band featuring star guitarist Kevin Breit, and they play every Monday night at the Orbit Room...

Absolutely! And Breit featured heavily on two of my picks, Big Boy and Up and At 'Em by amazing TO harmonica player Carlos del Junco. Carlos takes the Howard Levy thing and extends it into blues and latin music - extremely cool!

quote:

Originally posted by Velvet:

The Brothers Creeggan. Yep, the bass player and the former keyboard/conga player for the Barenaked Ladies have released three albums together, and it is some of the more creative pop stuff you'll hear in a while. And yeah, it's pretty much just bass/congas/piano/vocals.

Yeh, what these guys do is very different from BNL. They're actually doing the Peace by Peace benefit at the Reverb in Toronto on September 26th - check out their site at www.brotherscreeggan.com.

Peace,

Mr. M