Jambands.ca

Bittersweet Motel

Phunky Cauldron

I'm sure that most of you have seen Bittersweet Motel, but who amongst us wouldn't see it again. For that reason, I wrote the Bytowne and asked them what it would take to bring it to town. I'm hoping that it will only take a bunch of hooting and hollering fans, and not cash, but I guess I'll have to see what their response is. Would you guys be pumped if it came to town?

How sweet would imax be...Don't they have one at the Museum of civilization? I live right across the road from that, so maybe I'll swing by there tonight and ask them if they like the prospect of having a bunch of dirty hippies smoking pot in their theater...maybe I'll word it differently though. Just a thought.

Peace,

Justin

In pre-IMAX days, they used to show heavy-duty movies on the huge screen at the Cinesphere. (Is it still there?) I saw "2001: A Space Odyssey" there (smack in the middle of the theatre; during the stargate sequence, I just about lost it); they also showed "Apocalypse Now", the "Superman" movies, and the "Star Wars" trilogy.

gentlemonkey: Yes, to be a true IMAX movie, it has to be filmed with special cameras. To my knowledge, the only rock'n'roll movie in IMAX is the Rolling Stones one. ISTR Mick Jagger saying that, for a rock'n'roll movie, you want as small a camera as possible (so it's not an encumberance) with as long-durations a film canister as possible (so you don't have to wait or interrupt songs for camera refills). The IMAX cameras, of course, are huge, and have incredibly short-duration film canisters...

Aloha,

Brad

Personally, I actually enjoyed it more on DVD than when I saw it at the Bloor. I find music movies are always cooler on DVD 'cus you can jump to the parts you like. Don't know how many times I've watched that ver of "Punch You In The Eye".

One thing that kills me every time I put on that film is what a funny, cocky prick Trey can be! If he had his own show, it would kick the crap out of Tom Greene. [Wink]

Peace,

Mr. M.

Oh, and the thing they do with the phans who want to get them to pose in a photo with them, and they aim the camera so the heads are cut off?!? What bastards!

Can you imagine following Phish all the way from Buttsville USA to Italy or where ever, you see them on the beach and you think "now's my chance to get a picture with them" and then you develop the film and the heads are cut off?!? What a riot!

I like when Trey does the "nobody is going to be the next Jerry Garcia---that's insane" talk in his jeep.

I also like the gun store scene and the fishman in the morning (afternoon) refusal for the interview (typical). I also really liked Trey talking about the shows and how it's all about the energy of the room...that shit is cool...he's the man.

As far as Trey being cocky??? I had the opportunity to party with him and all of those guys at CK5's birthday party in '99. Trey was anything but cocky...more like very drunk and very humble and nice---just one of the guys.

It was neat singing happy birthday to Topher, standing 2 people away from Trey (Hunter-my friend-was right beside Trey, and Trey turned to him after and gave him an approving smile re: his harmonies!)

Another interesting note: Trey's slurred pickup line on the VERY hot little hippy girl, while he leaned over her against the wall a few feet away from where Page, Swaggy (my friend) and I were smoking a huge phatty: "I find you very attractive"

Even Page looked at me and Swag with a "how lame was that line" look. [big Grin]

Guess you have to be a rockstar to have that one work. It did, BTW.

quote:

As far as Trey being cocky??? I had the opportunity to party with him and all of those guys at CK5's birthday party in '99. Trey was anything but cocky...more like very drunk and very humble and nice---just one of the guys.

Yeh, I'm sure it's true - I suspect a lot of the stuff in the film was mugging for the camera. Damn funny thou!

my ex girlfriend is a slut [Eek!]

and so is Jon Fishman.... [Wink]

and i guess i am too [Confused] or in retrospect....whatever...goodtimes nonetheless [smile]

actually speaking of pictures--they don't do them...we had to seriously prod Jon for one. I have one with me, Jon, My ex, and an indian prince and princess we met backstage (the princess would later go on to being Jon's steady for around 6 months) They were very cool people actually....he's a doctor, and well...she's just rich and extremely beautiful/intelligent. She ended up kicking Jon's drunk ass to the curb.