Jambands.ca

Treyter inspiration: have you ever met Phish?

MarcO

ok, this seems to be dying so I'll throw a few in.

Japan '99- Met Page, Mike, and chilled with Trey's parents for a while, which was pretty damn funny (no bangin' rails mind you).

Japan '00- Flew over to Japan on the same flight with the band and crew. I was the only fan going over for tour on that flight so it was super chill. The only upset was when Amy Skelton stole my veggie lunch. To make up for it the stewardess brought me the phatty 1st class sushi lunch though. Lots of fun. Went through customs with them, and fyi, rockstars go through just as fast as we do. Guess nobody did a background check on trey.

Hung out with the band a bunch that tour, and went to some really cool aftershows with them. best one was in Osaka at this crazy tea place with heaps of japanese phans partying 'till really late. Cops came and did nothing. We had a drum circle going in the streets at like 4am. BTW, Mike was pulling same "pick up girl, drop off girl, pick up next girl" routine there. Seemed to leave the Japanese girls alone for the most part though!

Albany '00- Had a brief backstage run but it wasn't that eventful. It was actually before showtime, so there wasn't much going down.

it was summer tour 98 where they were busting out a new cover every night.

I was at Vernon Downs standing close between the stage and the backstage trailer where the boys came out from. I got their attention by yelling "PLAY SOME SABBATH MAN". Trey gave me a weird "what" look while Fishman gave me a thumbs up!

Then there was the time I scored backsatge at the Pantera/Sepultura concert at Maple Leaf Gardens in '94 and Phil (the lead singer) and I shared a doob. Then my friends and I got caught by Phil as we were drinking all his private Heineken stash from his dressing room. He belted out "what the fuck are you kids doing in my room?" while my drunkass friend replies "Phil man, you said meet me in my dressing room and we'll Parteeeee". Phil calmly replied, "get the fuck out before I kick your asses".

ahh, the memories!

I met Mike Gordon in the campsite at the Gorge in 1997. He was making his rounds on a golf cart, saying "Hi" to phans everywhere.

At the time I was getting a massage from a lady who had set up a massage table in the campsite. She was a massage student, and was charging $5 for a 15-minute massage. After about 5 minutes, she said "Your massage is over buddy!". I looked up and there was Mike. She wanted to massage him!

He respectfully declined the complementary massage offer. I got up, said Hello and gushed over what a wicked bass player he is! He thanked me profusely, said Hello to everyone who was around, then left on the golf cart!

I did get my remaining 10 minutes on the massage table!

I think it was a Shakedown lot party at the Ball and actually I think Shakedown was playing come to think of it. I'm all gooned, there's a tank set up under the tent, dancing my ass off. Then I see racoon eyed Mike and am kind of stunned cause he's just standing there checking shit out. So I run up to him and I totally want to talk to him about Wagner and Nietzche and the like, then I get right up next to him and I'm looking at him and I think this isn't him this is somebody that looks just like him (driving around on a golf cart?). So I just walk away and go back to dancing and he gets a good laugh in.

Scores of others but the alltime life highlight is meeting Bob Dylan's idol Ronnie Hawkins about a month back at the Garth show. Got a pick with him spat a few Ronnieisms at him, 'happier than a dead hog in the hot Georgia sun'.