Jambands.ca

Fat Cats...

p.p.

I went to see the Fatties on Tuesday. It just so happened to be their 10 year anniversary show. That's fuckin' amazing!!! I started seeing them in 1993. The first time I saw them Moe. openned up for them at Sneaky Dee's in Toronto. I've defenetely seen way more than 75 shows of them since. I'm so impressed that they're still kickin' it. Even though they're never hyped up and they really don't tour, I still think that they're easily amongst the best of the Canadian jam scene. They really play as if they're veterans and the music actually keeps getting better. I hope they stick with it. GO SEE THE FATTIES!!!!

I saw them in like '96 on Canada Day in some park in Ottawa. It was cool as hell.

They've mostly all got real jobs now so sometimes they travel on weekends (like on the 21st in Toronto), but they usually just stick to the Tuesday night Casbah gigs. Well worth the trek to the Hammer though.

i'd like to thank everyone who makes the trip out to the casbah on tuesdays, the hammer is lame w/out ya!

i'm come to the decision that Hamilton sucks....really bad.

I'm tired of seeing empty GORGEOUS bars playing jam music, while dives are packed because they are meat markets.

We lost Jomomma on Tuesday awhile ago, and that sucked. bad.

luckily the fatties can sustain the tuesday night gig, though we LOST thursdays...

Shane, keep doin' what your doin', and try not to get down cause the hammer doesn't always produce, cause the ones who are there, really appreciate it.

peace

i agree with this hamilton sucks thing im so sick of this fucking town, I mean i'm in a band with about 3hrs worth of origanals and covers and we can barely ever get in anywhere and then you see some shit alternative rip off cover band playing the next week really pisses me off we need more places that accept jam bands here and open to the oppurtinety to give a band a chance.I still meaning to go check out peeper jacks though i heard it is great. But other than that all we got is the casbah. Thanks to the guys who are running the pepper jack thing because we need more people like you to give this city a little kick in the ass.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents,I been going to the Cats since the days of Corktown and Dundas Driving Park(92)and before that there was Hightimes,I lived 25 years of my 32 in Hamilton,the place can suck but thats what getting away is all about.The music scene always seems to go in and out.But loseing thursdays at the Casbah is really bad,Doug got that place going musicly,sad sad times,but hey Wed. night at Pepper Jacks,Doug!!!

Hey to all the Fattie fans!!!

Second Tube,Jay,Whore See ya there as always

hamilton does not suck- well i guess it does not suck much more than any where else

bad shows happen all the time

and people in general love shitty meat markets, strobe lights and nelly more than they love live music of any kind. there are crappy dance bars everywhere not just in hamilton. i remember when the fat cats used to pack la lunas on sundays and doug feaver had the same on tuesdays and as far as jomomma losing there tuesdays i doubt most bands could host a successful weekly show outside of their hometowns- it just doesnt seem to happen being busy every week is a tough job- anyways i am ranting

but what towns have awesome music happening all the time with constant slammed crowds- fantasyville. i have seen good shows in hamilton and bad the same as everywhere else.

its not like toronto has never had a show that 5 people have shown up for.

oskee wee wee

I LOVED LA LUNA'S and everything it stood for.

The Casbah on the other hand...

I'm not saying Hamilton is absolutely horrible, its just well, maybe i'm not seeing the best sides of it.

I hope everything works out with Pepperjacks, and SANISLO get your farkin arse in there and play!

I think you guys have lots of potential. Your jammin is complex, Scooty is a mad man. If your keys got a deeper sound (i'm not saying better, just deeper sounding) and now your bass is gone (thank god) things are going to start groovin'. So who is the new bass player? And have you guys talked to Jonas? He did seem very interested when you guys jammed at Frontier Town.

Shane check these guys out!

See ya tonight, WE ALL NEED TO TALK ABOUT SOMETHING =-= VERY =-= IMPORTANT!!!!

quote:

Originally posted by Esau13:

Just wanted to add my 2 cents,I been going to the Cats since the days of Corktown and Dundas Driving Park(92)and before that there was Hightimes,I lived 25 years of my 32 in Hamilton,the place can suck but thats what getting away is all about.The music scene always seems to go in and out.But loseing thursdays at the Casbah is really bad,Doug got that place going musicly,sad sad times,but hey Wed. night at Pepper Jacks,Doug!!!

Hey to all the Fattie fans!!!

Second Tube,Jay,Whore See ya there as always

Alrighty then dude, we must know each other a little bit then. I grew up in Dundas and I'll never forget waking up on a Saturday afternoon and hearing the most blissful music coming from out of the Driving park. I stumbled down the hill and encountered the Fatties playing a free concert for a handful of heads, back in the day when you could do that there. Wicked! I remember seeing Hightimes as well! I believe I did a NYE show with them at The Coach and Lantern in Ancaster. I remember that as being one of my most stoned evenings, ever! Can't beat those flaky memories, eh??

Hamilton... well, on the surface it sucks. Dig a little deeper though and you'll find a closely-knit and active arts scene. Several artist acquaintances of mine PREFER working out of Hamilton than Toronto because it is less cut-throat, accesible to the big-city and has access to a fair amount of green space outside the city.

But I'm old enough now to have seen a few "waves" of talent move through this city, as well as several great (and not so great) bars. I mean, the Fatties used to play at the freakin' Corktown Tavern (shit-hole!). There used to be live music and poetry in Hess Village, for Jebas'-sake!

Anyone from here remember the great band Uncle Violet? The best band you never heard, and I'm afraid to say, superior at the time to the Fatties gig down at la Luna that also occured every Sunday night. A++ songwriting and talent. The kind of gig where Daniel Lanois would show up to jam on an extended version of Peter Gabriel's "Biko". A great crowd. A great band. They broke up unfortunately.

I have a friendly ongoing argument going on with secondtube regarding Doug Feaver. Talented? Sure. Nice guy? No doubt about that. Been performing the same material for ten straight years now? Yup. And that's why - and this is only my take on it, not a flame or a diss - I won't miss Doug on Thursdays. Hopefully a venue change will kicks Doug's ass and spice up his show a little bit. Because I've been seeing him since I was 18 (I'm 28 now) and he really hasn't changed that much.

Finally, one last thing: at last count there are several dozen bars and clubs in Hamilton that book live music. There are new clubs opening all the time (Home, The Underground, Quarters at Mac, Rebel's Rock) that feature live original acts. But if ALL you're interested in is checking out "Jambands" than you may be deluded into thinking there's nothing happening out there, save for Pepper Jack's upcoming Wednesday night features. But outside of the little, tiny "jamband" world, there seems to be lots happening.

Don't forget, Burt Neilson Band's first few visits to Hamilton saw them at Monaco's, a now defunct Hess Village bar.

(I had to sigh recently when a friend of mine told me about a show he had recently seen - the Warsaw Pack at The Underground. He said they were ok but would have been better if they jammed a bit more. He was reluctant to admit he enjoyed it because they didn't have some sort of "jam-friendly" seal of approval or something. [Frown] Shame...)

Gotta get away from The Casbah a bit more, maybe?? [big Grin]