Jambands.ca

"My name is Brad M...

bradm

...and I'm a taper."

"Hi, Brad!"

"It started innocently enough...I'd download shows other people had taped, listen to them, and imagine what it would be like to tape shows. When I'd be at shows where people were taping, I'd hover around them, basking in the technological glow, and the light from the equipment. It shone at me, like small beacons in the distance...or maybe like a lighthouse, warning me about the shoals I was approaching.

"Then I borrowed some equipment. I went to the heavy stuff pretty early, a portable DAT and a good set of mics. A friend showed me how to use it...I don't blame him for my obsession, it's all my fault, he had no way of knowing.

"We did one show together, and I think I was hooked right there. Two days later, I did a show alone. For me, it's the fire & ice buzz: you've got your ears tuned to the show, your eyes on the gear, and your mind flipping back and forth, wondering how the tape will sound, or if you're getting it at all.

"And, of course, there's the whole gear thing. I love cables, buttons, plugs, jacks. I'm also an engineer, and taping is a great way to utilize my 'How can I make this work?' nature. Improvisational expressions of technology are, for me, a big part of it all.

"After the show, I rushed to the deck. Stopped it, rewound it a few minutes, whipped out the headphones, and, with trepidation verging on paralysis, pressed . What I heard made my heart sing! Not only did I get the show, it sounded great! Then came another aspect to it all: showing off. I wandered the room, thrusting the headphones at anyone who'd give me the time. 'Hey, you've got to hear this!' I'd say, and then bathe in the reflected glow as their eyes lit up.

"I got home, it was pretty late, I should have gone right to bed, but I had to hear more; a small taste at the club just wasn't enough. I stood in the kitchen, plugged everything in, and listened more. It was as good as, if not better then, what I heard before.

"I slept fitfully; my dreams included cables, slithering like serpents in my garden of tranquility, and jacks and plugs taking the place of the usual puerile imagery. In my dreams, I was back at the club (as if my spirit hadn't been sated and had never left it).

"The next day, I didn't listen to any music. I tried to take a day off. I didn't tape yesterday, and I won't tape today. I've gone looking for equipment on e-Bay, but just once, I swear.

"I'm taking a day at a time. There'll be temptations, but I think I can be a social taper; I just have to avoid binges.

"Thank you."

Aloha,

BRAD (Been Reading About DATS)

Let me be the first to say that i am TRULY grateful for you and for that matter, all the rest of those blessed tapers out there who without, we would not be able to become obsessed with collecting live music. The love (obsession) with live music grows in me exponentially with no end in sight.

KUDOS!!

-

[big Grin] THis is my favourite site when i walk into a show [big Grin]

Ironically enough, i was repremanded by backbacon just a hour or so ago for not documenting the sources of my shows when i download/trade them. From here on in I WILL. [Wink]

quote:

Originally posted by Cheech-chi:

I'd love to hear the Saturday show, if that can be arranged! Thanks for taping it, Brad.

I'm hoping to be at Babylon tonight; if I make it, I'll bring the gear and let you (and anybody else who wants to) hear it. I might do some taping, too...I mean, it's been days...one time won't hurt, will it? [Roll Eyes]

Aloha,

Brad

• 4 weeks later...

OOOh, nice!

Makes sense that a smiley can be clickable--just bound it in an "a" tag. But can ya turn one into an image map ... ? hmmm ...

http://www.newgrounds.com/assassin/nsync/' shape="circle" coords="59, 62, 34">

http://www.newgrounds.com/assassin/hamster/' shape="circle" coords="109, 72, 20">big1.gif" usemap="#pokeme" width="150" height="150" border="0

Hey, it works!! Just poke the smiley in one of the eyes. Each eye links to a different page.