Jambands.ca

Levon Helm and the Barn Burners

M

Levon Helm (amazing musician formerly of The Band) and the Barn Burners are playing Thursday September 19 at Healey's in Toronto (Jeff Healy's bar).

-

**Photo - Levon Helm at the Varsity Stadium, Toronto, July 1969.

This was their first Canadian concert as the Band. ****

The Barn Burners are a blues band with Levon Helm on drums, his daughter Amy on keyboards and vocals, guitarist Pat O'Shea, lead vocalist and harmonica player Chris O'Leary and upright bassist Frankie Ingrao.

I read an article recently saying that Levon doesn't sing anymore b/c he had throat cancer... does anyone have any info on this?

I want to go to the show but a big thrill would be hearing him sing b/c I've never seen him perform live before....

Yeah he doesn't sing because of the cancer. This is really what he wants to do right now, not any of The Band stuff- at all. The repertoire is a throw back to the stuff he grew up on - songs like Short Fat Fanny. It's great that he works with his daughter, I think that's the benefit for him. There's a bit of griping amongst the Woodstock musicians (Crowmatix etc.) that the Burners aren't that shit hot a band but it's more roots feel music then anything.