Jambands.ca

Question of 2002.09.23

bradm

As a beginning taper, I'm starting to realize the value of taping not just in terms of popularizing/sharing music (via Direct Connect, B&P, etc.), but in terms of documenting the music and its evolution.

So, today's question is: given a time machine and taping gear, which show would you go back and tape? It should be a show which either wasn't taped, or which was, but is so rare as to really need another seed floating around.

My answers:

• Thelonious Monk w/ John Coltrane at the Five Spot, summer 1957
  • Punk & Phriends at Cafe Dekcuf, 2002.09.07
  • Asthmatic Horn Section at the Bayou, 2002.06.09
  • The Dangerous Kitchen at Alfie's, 1991.02.I-can't-remember

Aloha,

Brad

Oh wait, I want another!

10/31/90 The Marquee, New York, NY

Blues Traveler/Spin Doctors

Yo Mama's A Pajama

Jimmy Olsen's Blues

Refrigerator Car

Hey Dick

Two Princes

Lady Kerosene

Hungry Hamed's

Cleopatra's Cat

At This Hour

Shinbone Alley>

Spin Doctors/Blues Traveler Jam>

Gina

Mulling It Over

Black Cat Jam>

Crystal Flame

Gotta Get Mean>

Brother John>

Gloria*>

Gotta Get Mean>

Blues Traveler/Spin Doctors Jam>

Forty Or Fifty

Yo Baby

Freeway Of The Plains

What Time Is It

Rosetta Stone

Off My Line**>

Spin Doctors/Blues Traveler Jam>

But Anyway#

Onslaught

100 Years

Alone

Sweet Talking Hippie

Mountain Cry

And So It Goes>

Mother Funker

* with Chris Barron on vocals

** with John Popper on harmonica

# with Aaron Comess on drums

Yo Tungsten!

quote:

The Hyde concert was taped and has just finally been officially release!!

DGM has been going through old concert tapes and digitally restoring them, to Fripp's standards. They've released some classic and amazing stuff...hard to believe any band could be that intense...in the 60's it must've really blown people's doors off.

NICE! [big Grin] I actually didn't know about that, thanks!

quote:

And if anyone wants a related -solid- listen, check out MacDonald & Giles self-titled album. Amazing, amazing, and Steve Winwood is all over it as well.

Yeh, a buddy of mine actually had that on vinyl years ago. I should try to dig that up on CD.

Peace dude,

Mr. M.

yeah the original Giles Giles and Fripp stuff is pretty out there...

the MacDonald and Giles stuff is way more psychedelic and funky...epic songs and amazing production.

Another Frippish gem is League of Gentlemen live, i think it's called Thrang Thrang Gozinblux...it's cool, mostly all recorded at the El Mocambo in 1981, it was Fripp's "Dance Band" which hits a few cool strides, but the guitar work is craziness.....

quote:

hehehe just realized it was Mr. Musicface, not Groove fetish...damn multiple Boba Fett's!!!

Ah crap I thought I was the only Fett... hmmm, perhaps a change is in order...

quote:

christ someone come pick me up and drive me to Tim Horton's.....please for the love of GOD!!

Hey, if you want to come to 4th floor of Robarts Library, they're doing a TA training session today and I could easily score you a huge handful of Timbits! [Wink]

Peace,

Mr. M.

Hey Groove Fetish;

The Hyde concert was taped and has just finally been officially release!!

Hyde Park

DGM has been going through old concert tapes and digitally restoring them, to Fripp's standards. They've released some classic and amazing stuff...hard to believe any band could be that intense...in the 60's it must've really blown people's doors off.

And if anyone wants a related -solid- listen, check out MacDonald & Giles self-titled album. Amazing, amazing, and Steve Winwood is all over it as well.

Ok here's my Wish-it-had've-been-taped list:

these ones are kinda personal ones:

David Byrne-Massey Hall 92-This concert changed my life...the night before I had gone to Rollins Band, but my friend convinced me to go to this with him. Best...Show...Ever

Soundgarden-Concert Hall 92 - One of my first concerts...blew me away, and back then Chris Cornell kicked ass!

But for the general benefit of mankind pick, i'd have to say Bootsy Collins, 69-70 when he was 18 and playing almost every night in the Apollo house band.

Well, too keep it in the canadian band realm, Id go with Burt Neilson Band Y2K show on top of sunshine mountain. Wasn't taped (to my knowledge) and my buddies said it was a blast.

And for classic purposes ill go with the Dead 07/03/70 McMahon Stadium, Calgary, Alberta. This was during the Festival Express tour. It still boggles my mind that they played here in Calgary @ the stadium. There are apparently video portions of this show floating around that i would love to get...