Jambands.ca

Missing person: Where is Bradm??

Guest Low Roller

BradM is around. Last night, BradM was at home. I did some shopping, took a shower, did some reading (I'm about 100 pages into the new GD book), went to bed about 9:30pm, and got a great & solid night's sleep.

I'm coming off a throat bug that I've had for a while now, and figured that it'd be better to have a quiet night at home than go out. CJ is immense fun, to be sure, but I decided to save up my energy for Saturday.

No, wait, scratch all that. I was there. You're just reverse-hallucinating...

Aloha,

Brad

quote:

Originally posted by Asparagus:

Hey BradM,

How is that new book?

One of the best peolple in the world just brought it home for me. I'm gonna hit it as soon as I'm done Stupid White Men, tomorrow.

As I said, I'm only about 1/6 of the way through it (which puts me just to the point where the name "The Grateful Dead" was chosen).

My main impression so far is that it's incredibly detailed. McNally (or is it McNealy?) is a trained historian (his biography of Kerouac is well-respected, from what I've heard), and includes loads of people and places.

It's fun to read about how Jerry went on the road in '62 or '63 (IIRC), and went to (again, IIRC) one of Bill Monroe's bluegrass gatherings, and set up his, yes, taping rig. The SF music scene at that time also had a lot of people dubbing tapes left, right, and centre. There are other things we find in the community now, that McNally documents as having been there, then* (even down to the set of songs).

It's also structured in an interesting way, with "interludes" from other times & places, that break up the straight linear narrative in a, to my view, refreshing way.

There are also reviews and articles on the 'net and here on the Sanctuary. The general consensus seems to be "It's a good book."

Aloha,

BRAD (Books Read, About Dead)

* As my father used to say, "You are what you were, when."

quote:

My main impression so far is that it's incredibly detailed. McNally (or is it McNealy?) is a trained historian (his biography of Kerouac is well-respected, from what I've heard),

McNally

McNealy, seems to be a combination of the above and the Deads old sound man, Dan Healy [big Grin]

As for his Kerouac book, i think you are right as to how well it was received and I also believe it is what turned Jerry onto Dennis in the first place. As you probably have read (I am assuming this would be in the book), Jerry was a beatnik through and through, and LOVED Kerouac.