Jambands.ca

vancouver

meggo

To far to drive meggo, maybe the next one eh!

How is school goin? Is this your last year or what? I'm pretty damn busy now and yet not doing a thing about it. I'm a slacker to the core. i went to backbacon's place last night to study and we just ended up trying out his new glass. slacker.

-

Guest Low Roller

DJ Sasha will rock your booty!

I saw Sasha and Digweed in Montreal last March, and they kicked my ass. Sasha alone will still be a good show though.

If you've never been to this kind of show before, brace yourself and have fun!

And on a related note, the new Sasha album, Airdrawndagger, is mind-numbing!! I like it much better than the trance fare he dj's with Digweed, but on his own dj'ing he's pretty good.

The album only has a couple 4 on the floor tracks while the rest is intensely complicated yet easy to listen to, never boring!! Reminds me of Autechre, Boards of Canada, very electro stuff.

Guest Low Roller

Hey TG,

Thanks for the info on the Sasha album. I read some bad reviews for it (pitchforkmedia.com), and decided not to get it.

Just so nobody thinks that I base my musical selection solely on what reviews have to say, I tend to listen to Pitchforkmedia a little more because they tend to cover everything but pop music (they are pretty weak in terms of jamband music as well).

The ratings are usually quite accurate:

Miles Davis- Kind of Blue Rating: 10.0

Banco De Gaia- The Magical Sounds of... Rating: 8.0

Boards Of Canada- Music Has The Right To Children Rating: 8.3

Autechre- Autechre Rating: 8.4

And I would swear by these albums, but

Sasha- Airdrawndagger Rating: 2.5

Thanks for the info though TG. I'll check it out.

hehehe great review on that site-i like the fact they single out 'Nelly Retardo' heheheh

Anyways, all the reasons that guy didn't like the Sasha albums are the reasons I did...I'm pretty damn selective about the techno I collect and listen to, and this is a good album listen-I don't expect to hear any of it in a club-which this guy seemed to expect...but then again I don't dance to Squarepusher either(is it possible?)

I think he was lamenting as it wasn't a big trance epic album-maybe Sasha was stepping out of his normal DJ'ing element but it's a solid listen-very thick, full, sonic, however you describe it. I've read several reviews of it, some say it's good but not up to par with his DJ'ing, several say it's great but maybe dated...

I dunno, I didn't listen to it expecting ground-breaking genre-collapsing craziness, it's just a good listen to me.

Can't say i like the Oakenfold/Tiesto/Van Dyk style trance, it's pretty boring and repetitive to me-and I can't say i would've paid much attention to this album but my roomie's a DJ and I happened to overhear it....twas a very pleasant surprise indeed.

Guest Low Roller

I saw Oakenfold open for the Chemical Bros. Did nothing for me other than the Radiohead remix he did for 'Everything in its Right Place'

I agree with your assesment of Tiesto and Van Dyk as well.

Who did impress me A LOT was Judge Jules and Infected Mushroom. Holy crap! Back-to-back shows that pushed me to my limits.

Hey Meggo;

A couple friends of mine moved out there and dj, they're really good. They run Balance Productions(if you see flyers around anywhere) and DJ under the names Deep Six and Sela...not sure if their dj names haved changed but their brothers... I highly recommend them, awesome guys too.

Not sure where exactly in BC they are but I'm sure they've been putting on shows.