Jambands.ca

Wassabi Collective last night

weezy

This was my first time seeing the Wassabi Collective - a 6 piece band from Victoria - 1 bass, 1 guitar, 2 conga players a drummer and a marimba. They have been described as a cross betwen Planet Drum and STS9 - turns out - that's pretty accurate. They turned on the trance/tribal vibe right away and captivated the audience with the dance beats. The guitar kept a funk/wah sound mainly concentrating on the rhythm - the focal point were the two female members (on congas) who also sang some loop-style dance-y vocals. This is the kind of band that makes you dance - and dance hard. The massive percussion presence gives you no choice but to cut-a-rug with all your might. They are about to embark on a cross-Canada tour, so many of you will get the opportunity to see them soon - and you should, because they ROCK.

yeah, i've seen these guys a few times, they play in vic at least once a week (every thurs @ lucky on yates) the first time i saw them since spring was last weekend here at the school, and they were really kicking ass. the drummer is pretty awesome. i think he looks like chris kattan. they used to play on the street down town for money, and i guess people caught on! everybody should get out to see them for some booty-shakin fun!

• 2 weeks later...

ahhh... the Wassabis.

2 of these guys are my best friends and ex bandmates from back home in Victoria, Alley Kat and Steve, the keys man and the drummer.

They are playing in Hamilton on Sun. the 3rd at the Casbah and at the CoZone on Wednesday the 6th. Highly recommended! They are a huge band and have been touring all across Canada. Really intense, amazingly danceable music. And maybe if I'm lucky they'll let me play bass for a house jam [Wink]

Please go see them and pack the Comfort Zone! They are totally worth it.

Oh to be reminded of home :~(

[color:"red"]p h i s h y k

quote:

Originally posted by FreekerByTheSpeaker:

I can't wait till they get to Ottawa, I've been needing a Wassabi fix bad, lately!!!

The problem is, they're not doing an Ottawa show this tour. They do:

Nov 1st --- le Swimming --- Montreal

Nov 2nd --- TBA --- Kingston ON

Nov 3rd --- The Casbah --- Hamilton

Nov 6th --- The Comfort Zone --- Toronto

But nothing for Ottawa. Maybe we could convince them to do a gig between the 3rd and the 6th?

Aloha,

Brad

quote:

Originally posted by bradm:

Are these the right dates? Their website has this:

Nov 7th --- TBA --- Guelph

Nov 8th --- Pepper Jacks --- Hamilton

Nov 9th --- TBA --- Windsor

And JamHub has only this:

Friday Nov. 1st - Le Swimming Montreal QB

Saturday Nov 2nd - Scherzo Kingston ON

Wednesday Nov 6th - Comfort Zone Toronto

Friday Nov 8th - Pepper Jacks Hamilton ON

Montreal, Kingston and Toronto are the only shows that are accounted for in all three reports. Can anyone confirm?

no way, they have to come hang out at my place between the 3rd and the 6th - Ottawa is too far away!

I am so jealous of these guys. I started a band with 2 of them 2 years ago, now I am all alone in T.O. and they are touring the nation nonstop *cry*

Poor me eh!! I just signed up with a new band though and we are going to rock the nation. Not jam music though, it's more extremely intense and psychedelic alt/original/rock.

Wish me luck [big Grin] We are called "MaryJayne"

s p e c i a l k