Jambands.ca

Question of 2002.10.07

bradm

What's the best album you know for the drumming on it? Ideally, it would be albums in which the drumming is a component of the overall band sound, rather than just great solo drumming.

My choices would include:

• Eric Dolphy / Out To Lunch (Tony Williams)
  • Miles Davis / Neffertitti (Tony Williams)
  • Jeff Beck / Blow By Blow (Richard Bailey)
  • Frank Zappa / Shut Up 'n' Play Yer Guitar (Vinnie Colaiuta, Terry Bozzio)

Aloha,

BRAD (Begging Responses About Drumming)

1) Brian Blade, 'Fellowship' (produced by Dan Lanios), Brian Blade

2) Bob Loblaw, 'Monkey Do', Mike Essoudry. Okay, a little self-plug here, but you really got to hear Mike play, he plays around Ottawa occasionally, I'll try to let y'all know when.

3) Led Zeppelin, 'I', John Bonham. Need I say more?

4) The Police, anything, Stewart Copeland

Any Blue Note stuff with Idris Mohammed(he was a session dude that played on Grant Green, Jimmy Smith, Lou Donaldson, Donald Byrd etc)

Zigaboo Modeliste - Meters Drummer- holy fricking polyrhythms and pockets batman!!

Tiki Fulwood - Funkadelic's first drummer...defines the funk drummer for me. Rumour has it that he took tons of acid after a Toronto show and was found wandering the streets of London Ont!

BradM-I'll totally agree with you on the Bozzio stuff....the drum solo in the movie Baby Snakes is fuggin unreal!!

I always liked the drummer from Lee Michaels alot (one of my dad's fav's)....the first band that guy put together was him (keyboards) and the drummer...Lee played bass lines and board leeds, while both him and the drummer sing. I forget the album, but one of them has a killer 15 min. drum solo that made me appreciate the skins alot more than i had prior to hearing it.

I'd suggest checking out both of Stanton Moore's (galactic's funky drummer) solo albums - All Kooked Out & Flyin' the Koop or Mike Clark's (of Headhunters fame) The Funk Stops Here. All three are solo albums by drummers but there's a lot more than just awesome drumming going on. Stanton's latest, Flyin' the Koop has Karl Denson, Chris Wood and Skerik all over it.

Stanton Moore - Flyin The Koop ------- FOR SURE-------

That is wicked stuff.

iKEA420 couldnt be more right.

The rest seems hard (hint, another reason why you should get Flyin The Koop.)

As per Velvet, any Police AND Oysterhead.

Live At Leeds - ?

Mickey Hart - The I Gotcha Album (you didnt really think I would pick Mickey, dij ya?)