Question of the day 2002.10.9

Hux

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. Huxtable:

Local Jamband, Dr.Huxtable, seeks new female singer and keyboard player...

...must hate tie-dye, like polo shirts, and be able to sing "Moses went riding out on a quasar..." without choking or guffawing...

Aloha,

Brad

Okay, okay, I'll give an honest answer here (although it's so easy to push Dr. Hux's buttons [Wink] ).

Least favorite Dead songs would be:

Mexicali Blues

New Minglewood Blues

Looks Like Rain

Casey Jones

Now please understand that my least favorite Dead songs still make me feel better than most every other song out there.

All my favorite least favorite songs are being picked!

Samba in the Shit

9000 Tons Of Shit

Wave to the Shit

El Paso (bad song choice at too many shows for me)

I agree with Kung, a good ole 72 wah wah Jerry on GSET is so much fun, as is a screamin' flute encased LLRain

How about some of those 74 Truckins?

HOLY SHIT!

If you ever saw a Truckin, you would soon realize it is the ultimate party song. Unless it was a crapped out 94/95 version.

quote:

Originally posted by Booche:

How about some of those 74 Truckins?

HOLY SHIT!

If you ever saw a Truckin, you would soon realize it is the ultimate party song. Unless it was a crapped out 94/95 version.

I have allways considered it countyish and pretty boring (sorry...). Maybe if I heard the right version of it. Can you point me to a good live version?

Phred

Wow, this is kinda turning into confession hour of sorts. Couple of things:

Certain tunes in the GD catalog have always been on the chopping block for me but the two that seem to spring to mind as most frequate are Cassidy and Feels Like a Stranger, depending on the day. Just never got my ya-ya's going.

As for the Truckin debate, Deadheads got a mean on for this song like Phans for Bouncin. I don't get either. Overexposure early on in their respective careers really eroded the credibility but if you ever get a chance to check out a 72-74 (I suggest "Hundred Year Hall" )Truckin, it's hard to deny it's potential.

hmmm...

lazy lightning(and supplication)

reuben and cerise

picasso moon

jack straw

liberty (god damn if the phil concert didn't hammer that one home)

Weather Report Suite I can take or leave, and i wanna say Hell in a Bucket cause it's so damn cheese, but it's catchy and "In the dark" was my first album....

Same with Mexicali Blues....stupid and hokey, but i've been listening for so long....

Personally I have always liked both Bobby and Brent tunes..... Oh well, I don't mind the Meters singing either.

As far as worst Dead tunes:

They Love Each Other

CC Rider (not a true original I know...)

Candyman

and the worst

Mississippi Half Step.

And being a little less trip, and a little more rave I just can't stand listening to most live Drums and Space. Sorry can't do it :-(

And for a great band did they ever play some godawful covers:

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds

Hard to Handle (post Pigpen wasn't worth it)

Hey Pocky Way (Brent had soul, but not Southern black soul. Uggggh)

Sean