Jambands.ca

Question of the day 2002.10.9

Hux

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright if I had to pick a tune it would probably have to be Golden Road. On that note..

Think to yourselves, where would we be without Bobby? Shaking his ass, screaming into the mike, bobby's short short...Bobby is sacred and there should be no Bobby bashing.

Theres alwayts room for teh Cheese!!!

Shake it up Babe!

Who's your Bobby??

quote:

picasso moon

hey DrH, all the more reason to cover it [Wink]

I think you are on to sumphin.

I cant believe some of the tunes I am reading people dont like. Wow.

Dont get me wrong, I aint judgin' (not too harshly anyways). It just blows my mind. Keep these coming cause it is making my morning interesting.

Half Step?

Cassidy? (Scottie, ever heard the version from Reckoning?)

But Standing On The Moon?

Holy smokes........

oh thats right, the Weir Everywhere fan.

Do parts of songs count? If they do, then the opening & closing parts of "Playin' In The Band" are on my list. I love a good "Playin'", but just for the open-ended jamming middle part; the bookends to it (especially when Donna lets loose) don't work for me at all.

ALoha,

Brad

Whoa, just checked back into this thread.

Northern Wish, the Donnator idea has definitely been tossed around between us on a good night. But I was surprised at the Half Step. I was just listening to a Dick Picks (5? London England) the other day and the end of the Half Step was giving one of those pure bliss car drivin to work in the morning experiences. Oh well chacon son gout.

Booche, I've got Reckoning and like I said, good days, bad days. Reckoning good day, most though don't float my boat.

Ha ha ha ha

You hit the nail on the head with that one. How about any live version when Donna is wailing. Near the end of her run, she starts to cool it a bit and it does not annoy my ears quite as much. But a friend of ours has an idea for all of you audio engineers out there. Would it be possible to isolate the track she is on from any particular version and erase the Yoko-esque blood curdling screams?

Kind of a Donna-nator?

Sean

It would have to be a multi-tracked source...most of the Deadshows in the vault are 2-track, basically mixes done the night of, (maybe a techie can help me on this one) they are easily spruced up, but you couldn't Un-Donna anything...

Actually, you might be able to. You can get machines that remove vocals from norma audio sources (like CDs), to transform them into karaoke music; what they do is filter out the range of frequencies occupied by the human voice (which is a pretty narrow range).

Since the Donnawail has an even narrower range, a decent parametric equalizer might do the trick.

Aloha,

Brad

[Eek!]

I can't believe some of these posts!! [Eek!]

To each his own, I guess [Confused]

But how can anyone deny PICASSO MOON? [Wink]

Least favorite?........

Probably the one song that does nothing for me would be FRANCE, but that's too easy, so I'll go with ........hmmmmmm....... ahh hell, it's all good! I can't pick one. Oh wait, GENTLEMAN START YOUR ENGINES, now that's crap!

Now I have to stick up for KEEP YOUR DAY JOB, I think it's got a great snappy groove, and the message is clear and poignant for the time, and how can you reject Jerry when he goes "hey hey hey"?

As for Donna, sure she blows it at times, however certain Dead versions feel incomplete without her presence: Half Step, Cassidy, Sing Me Back Home, TMNStopped! If you're looking for a sweet duo between Jerry and Donna, seek out a rare Dolly Parton cover they did of TOMORROW IS FOREVER ('72). Very nice! [smile]

"GENTLEMAN START YOUR ENGINES"

hehe...forgot about that one...a stinker of epic proportions!!!

Picasso makes me want to rip my clothes off, chug liquor and freak freely....love that tune.....bigger than a drive-in movie - ooohh-eeee!!! f%&$ ya!!!!! [Cool][Cool][Cool]

ok at first it was hard to see, VERY

LL Rain on your do not like list....that is probably my favorite dead song, definately my woman and I's (oh ya I's) fav song.

then freaking Jack Straw, lost all credability for that undisclaimed writer.

then i saw Weather Report Suite, and i almost shit! Isn't that considered up there with Stella or Mornin'?

Then hell in a bucket...or mexacali blues. So people don't like bobby.... ya better realize without bobby there wouldn't be a post 90's grateful dead.

thought hard to handle was a GREAT cover

"Think to yourselves, where would we be without Bobby? Shaking his ass, screaming into the mike, bobby's short short...Bobby is sacred and there should be no Bobby bashing."

Well, ya...i always thought everyone respected the most influencial member of the dead in their final decade of playing....but like i've always said, "DEAD FANS ARE DEFINATELY THE MOST STUCK UP, SPOILED FANS, ANYWHERE, EVER!"

or finally bashing donna singing is just weak...

just go and bash the disco biscuits or something....you may get more of an audience......

AND AFTER ALL THAT ...

i dislike ... well, anything that Phil decides to sing.... i'll choose for this list unbroken chain.

or lastly, don't like Mickey singing, PERIOD.

Like i also said

DEADHEADS ARE THE MOST SPOILED FANS EVER....ESPECIALLY MARC O

hey did u see any shows in the 80's Marc?

DID ANY OF YOU SEE A SHOW IN THE 80's?

So take all the shows you guys saw in the 90's......and TAKE THEM AWAY....

So who should respect bobby?????

Phish's 2000 tour may have not been the best, but i respect every show i went to, even Darien Lake.

I'd die just to have seen a single Dead show, and wouldn't be mocking members whenever i felt obliged to. Whether it be

Donna

Bobby

Vince....

Come to think about it...they all stood on the same stage with the Big Man, more than i can say about ANY of you guys/gals.

So it seems to me that most of your jokes/mocks/knocks against Donna, Bobby or Vince are totally unfounded; really the true sign of a spoiled deadhead.

Yeah, Second Tube is right

Vince sucked................

Or should I say Synth Welnick

need proof?

Proof!

(I honestly should not be saying sucked. The Dead certainly could have made a more reasonable and realistic choice though. His voicings really hurt the over-all sound, and Jerry didnt have the connection with him that he needed with his keyboard players.)

quote:

Originally posted by secondtube:

Like i also said

DEADHEADS ARE THE MOST SPOILED FANS EVER....ESPECIALLY MARC O

hey did u see any shows in the 80's Marc?

DID ANY OF YOU SEE A SHOW IN THE 80's?

So take all the shows you guys saw in the 90's......and TAKE THEM AWAY....

So who should respect bobby?
???
?

I have no idea what you're talking about here, Steve. First you said, w/o Bobby, no post-90's GD. Post 90's, I take that to mean 2000 on. Now you're talking about the 80's. What ARE you talking about???

actually, maybe just maybe I'm figuring it out:

did you mean "post 1990" GD?

in that case, thanks a lot Bobby!! [big Grin][big Grin]

or did you mean "post 90s" GD?

in that case, thanks a lot Bobby!! [Roll Eyes][Roll Eyes]

just my opinion dude. you've heard it before, and I'm sure you'll hear it again!

oh yeah - the Acousticats are at the Winchester Arms on Saturday (at least it's listed in VIEW). If I head in, and you're interested, I can give you a lift. Let me know. We can drink and argue about stuff!! [Cool]

ok, maybe i just smoked too much stuff today.

this is what i took...

quote:

geez.... thanks a lot, Bobby!

was as thanks a lot bobby. Even though you were the driving force behind the dead in the 90's, and without you, they would not have played the apparent few solid shows they did play, thanks for nothing. (rolling eyes)

If this was not what you intended, i'm sorry for misinterpreting you.

But if it was, like yay bobby, the 90's sucked, so who cares if you led them, well YOU SUCK!

And yes, i'm gonna take you up on the fatties offer. Little T probably too.

oh ya

90's = 1990 - 1995