Jambands.ca

Question of the day 2002.10.9

Hux

quote:

Originally posted by secondtube:

Even though you were the driving force behind the dead in the 90's, and without you, they would not have played the apparent few solid shows they did play, thanks for nothing. (rolling eyes)

oh ya

90's = 1990 - 1995

Fine, but just so we're on the same page, you said: "ya better realize without bobby there wouldn't be a post 90's grateful dead."

well, oh ya

post 90's = 2000 on.

I really think you mean to say "1990's", not "post 1990's" "ya better realize without bobby there wouldn't be a post 90's grateful dead." , but that's not my concern.

and btw, there were plenty of fine, fine GD shows at least up until early 1994, where it *really* became hit and miss (mostly miss), and those were not strictly carried on the shoulders of Bob Weir, imo. As fine as he was (and can be), he was by no means the sole guiding light of GD during those years. I think you're giving him too much credit and not enough to the rest of the band.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok pick a different phil song...

i don't like any of them....

i don't really like phil. his playing can be great. when he steps up and decides to shake the theatre.....

BUT when he sings, i guess its like my ultimate pet peave. and i've heard unbroken chain sung by him the most.

i guess, and this is true, add up the three unbroken chains i've heard from phil, and combined they still aren't as bad as the single Morning Dew sung by Phil...

Please Phil, stop singing...

quote:

Originally posted by bouche:

Do Brent tunes count? Or is that just too easy?

c'mon...lay off brent....

the man's vocals send shivers down my spine...listen how he could whip the crowd into a frenzy...blow away is a great first set tune that can really be brought to a zenith!

the rest of his tunes admittedly are not the best but he added an awesome dimension to the band w/ his vocals and keys...

quote:

Originally posted by Chewie:

quote:

Originally posted by bouche:

Do Brent tunes count? Or is that just too easy?

c'mon...lay off brent....

the man's vocals send shivers down my spine...listen how he could whip the crowd into a frenzy...blow away is a great first set tune that can really be brought to a zenith!

the rest of his tunes admittedly are not the best but he added an awesome dimension to the band w/ his vocals and keys...

Agreed. Just listened to 7-4-90 Blow Away the other night and itwas wonderful. I'm also a fan of Just A Little Light and I Will Take You Home. Fine songs, each of them. I admit I don;t need to hear Don't Need Love or Gentlemen Start Your Engines again, but overall, his songs were great additions to the GD catalogue. Great player too. I have many friends for whom Brent was their favorite GD keyboardists, and as far as sympathetic playing and versatility goes, they could make a strong argument for that, imo.

Btw, I apologize to everyone for publicly getting into it with secondtube earlier this thread. We're actually very good friends but we don't see eye to eye on the post-Jerry GD incarnations. In the grand scheme of things, not an important issue at all, and I apologize for taking the lower road on that one.

Now back to the "Americans Really Do Read This Board" thread... [big Grin][big Grin][big Grin][big Grin]

I don't apologize for nuttin' [Razz][Razz][Razz]

Why dude? We didn't get THAT much into it. [Wink] I think we each backed up our opinions; well u yes, me mostly.

That is the fun of the internet. Let your opinions fly. Just back them up. We are mostly the opposite in every spectrum, and its GREAT. [big Grin][big Grin]

Everything i say (or TRY to say) i can usually backup. That's the great thing about this site. Unfortunately sometimes I try to say something, then someone else reads it, and takes it totally incorrectly; then the sparks explode.

It's all in good fun though [big Grin]

"then freaking Jack Straw, lost all credability for that undisclaimed writer"

Funny, i think i was the one who posted that...

does one have to follow every statement with IMO now?

Been listening to the dead for over 10 years and at one time had as many as 400 hrs on tape. Got to see them 4 times in 94-don't get me wrong I had a freakin' blast but I still don't like Jack Straw. Yes maybe it's a classic, but damned if I'm not reaching for -skip track- when it comes on.

It's like the time I had the joy of seeing phish play "Jennifer Dances" - Save me Jeebus!! I felt like they were personally insulting my intelligence in selecting them as a band I like.

What's the deal? I'm more open-minded than Ray Liotta in Hannibal. I listen to music on an hourly, not daily basis. I've sold more CD's than you'll ever own. I've been to well over 500 concerts in my life. I don't feel the need to substantiate, but the need to explain maybe...I like music. Alot.

What that song boils down to is the lyrics+the singing....I don't think half of Robert Hunter's lyrics are worth listening to, and you gotta admit, the Dead just aren't first rate singers all the time, and on a crooner like this it's real noticable.

This is a topic that was made for Booche. He never comments " openly " about most bands discussed on this site in negative terms. Well Booche, here's mine: Drums & Space. It may be good live, but on disc, with no visual aid, I skip right over D & S every time. Oh yeah, Jack Straw rules!

yes but you just compared Jack Straw to Jennifer Dances, and that doesn't help your cause any [Eek!][Eek!][Eek!]

quote:

It's like the time I had the joy of seeing phish play "Jennifer Dances" - Save me Jeebus!! I felt like they were personally insulting my intelligence in selecting them as a band I like.

Everyone has their own opinions but... [Roll Eyes]

[Confused] I drew the comparison to say that I don't lap up every piece of artistic drivel that's thrown out into the world-and sometimes even the bands I like have a handful of songs that just rub me the wrong way....maybe i should've picked Velvet Sea -a bit more comparable maybe in this instance but still on my fast forward list. Lotsa people like it but i don't know why... I'd take Dog Log over it!! [Eek!][Eek!]

I was actually pretty excited to be able to finally voice my distaste for Jack Straw, I mean I could've picked on Stella Blue too, but it's actually a beautiful song adorned with bad lyrics...now i'm off to listen to some MIDI trumpets!!