Jambands.ca

Americans Really Do Read This Page

kung

Controversy of the day:

Someone or multiple people contacted Madison House (SCI's mother company) alerting them to the fact that someone named Kung on this message board was saying they'd gotten free tics and was 'talking shit'. A stream of calls to Madison House wanting free tics resulted. As per a telephone conversation with their head honcho today I was informed that my press passes were being pulled as a result of 'shit I had been talking on my website'. After apologising somewhat profusely and blaming anything slanderous on Abe I realized she was talking about message board chitter chatter, supposedly anonymous insular Canadian hayseed chatter. The conversation took a turn their as I had never actually been called by anyone in the 'real world' over shit spoken on this board. Further evidence that baiting hippies does not pay. Anyways I asked the question isn't it akin to pulling a theatre critics tickets because they are known to give particularly harsh reviews (as happened quite recently between CanStage and the CBC's theatre critic). She insisted that this was not the case explicitly and rather that I had, I don't know, broken my journalistic oath by behaving like a child or something to that effect. It seems largely to come down to the fact that she had a bunch of extra work, 'filtering', to do as a result of people trying to sop up comps. Or that it seemed like I wasn't actually intending to cover the events journalistically. But there's the curious fact that our conversation began with 'because of shit you've been writing on 'YOUR' website', not THEIR website or A website. It's probably all of the above.

Don't get me wrong I feel like a first class chump in hindsight but knowing who I am I know I never could have avoided this turn of events. Knowing also that I have the strength of my convictions (sometimes) I would prefer not to experience a band that needs to bother with idle message board chitter chatter pro or con. I explained something to this effect which I think was largely lost on her by this point. Something along the lines of 'it's curious how these family organizations with all of their apparent open mindedness feel the need to edit or censor a full dialogue'. I went on to say that my feeling was that these bands should be judged by their own merit in terms of music in general not handicapped as some sort of jamband genre, and that my own experience was that for all of the brighter blissful aspects of our culture their are just as many sombre, dark even morose elements. I'm sure we've all seen and experienced enough of that. Of course this was all by this point entirely extraneous to the matter at hand and she had long since tuned out. I apologized again and that was that.

I am major pissed that I'm going to miss The Slip though. Oh and shit I won't hear How Mountain Girls Can Love. A job well done gives me satisfaction.

Mike Kang wishes he was Trey, my experience with hoopers (cheese heads) is that they are pretty self absorbed people and SCI was way better five or six years ago (in my opinion) before they tried to replace Phish, they're also probably a little worried that Phish is back and are wondering how that will affect them, so in my opinion, no loss. Any band that would pull shit like that without emailing you what you supposedly posted or a least a direct quote over the phone is not worth it. If any SCI fans are offended I apologize for offending you but I stick to what I just said, I use to be a fan but jumped off that wagon a few years ago with the shift in their direction.

So Kung don't fret Phish is back!

Kung, have you considered that this could be as a result of your post:

quote:

Been totally debating making the trek west for Calgary and Vancouver Cheese. The Slip and New Deal make the decision easier but still dicey. Anyways hooked up free tics, press passes and after show and I'm still not for sure.

I don't know how anyone else felt when they read this, but as a non-music-industry ticket buyer-type who supports live music through buying tickets to shows, I thought you caste a very poor light on the industry people with your pompous attitude.....and to look the gift horse in the mouth by slagging them was pretty ballsy I thought.

quote:

It's just that they don't really mean anything to me.

When I click on your profile, I can see that you are associated with www.northerheads.com ... doesn't take a rocket scientist to see how they could have found you out....did you maybe mention that you are associated with that website when you requested the tix in the first place? Or have you been talking down on the Cheese and bragging about how you get comps on your site as well?

I'm a phish head and a cheese head. Actually more of a music head. Believe me, there are assholes on all sides of the fence and in every arena. Anyone who tries to lay blame here on anyone but Kung for him losing his tickets should take a step back and look at the big picture.....

I must set the record straight ! ........on all this painful " chatter " and then let you all continue

on with your lives....Firstly It was brought to our attention by someone that a person " Kung " was bragging about having free tix , press passes,and backstage passes for the upcoming SCI run in the west. I went on here and had a look and read what was written. This was in fact true. I then contacted Madison House Publicity (not the mother Co.by the way) and asked if she knew anything about this. We all discussed the situation and she decided that it was best to revoke these passes as it seemed like KUNG was really not a professional and that this was the right thing to do. I agree wholeheartedly.

My thoughts are this.....Kung came on here bragged and embellished (being polite) about having press passes/backstage passes for SCI and he simply shouldn't have.

I actually feel sorry for Kung as he hasn't actually seen the Cheese live and has already formed his opinion. Anyone can have their own opinion about anything and post it anywhere (I'm all for that) but his was in poor taste and not professional. Well , back to getting ready for one of the greatest 2 night dance parties of 2002. By the way Kung, Ticket sales are 19 % higher than in 01 and things couldn't be better .....Ya don't have to feel sorry for Upstream. We're doing just fine. PS why don't you spend less time on this message board and update your website (northernheads) Sno-Core and Garaj Mahal were last winter !...........Derek from www.upstreamentertainment.com

Here's a little cheese to brighten up your day ! (fitting titles as well) http://www.stringcheeseincident.com/mp3/wake.mp3 http://www.stringcheeseincident.com/mp3/smile.mp3

Here is Madison House Publicity's response to Kung's post American's Really Do ......I can tell you that this person is one of the greatest publicists in the business and has a heart of gold........Hope everyone has a great day ! .....Derek

From SCI's publicist

Just a "heads" up to clarify once and for all the ONLY reason that northernheads' press passes were revoked. It is my job to assist professional journalists from credited TV, print, and internet outlets who are requesting to cover SCI events. I consistently go out of my way to accommodate media requests, but never do I try to guarantee that a writers review will be "positive." The editorial review, of course, is the opinion of each writer. My job is only to accommodate requests. However, I became alarmed that perhaps I was not working with a professional writer when I became aware that a press contact of mine was bragging about getting free tickets . In doing so, that person blatantly disregarded professional protocol of a reporter. As a publicist, I am expected to use discretion in distributing press passes, as there are only a limited number available for each show. The recent events could very easily put my credibility into question. The decision to pull these press passes was my decision alone. Not the band's or anyone else within the organization. And again, the ONLY reason that I made this decision was because I felt that my professional courtesies were being misused.

'But to what extent does the exquisiteness of culture and images, the beauty of the external forms really shake us, deal with us? We do not know. We merely want to savor our beautiful memories. We do not want to question our experiences too closely. It is a sensitive area.'

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche

a talk given in the fall of 1970

Boulder, Colorado

I'm sorry I have more to say.......

AC/DC BAG is a HUGE LOSER

"Mike Kang wishes he was Trey" ...LOL

" my experience" .....LOL

"my experience with hoopers " (cheese heads)....LOL

" SCI was way better five or six years ago (in my opinion)......LOL

"before they tried to replace Phish" .....ROFL

"they're also probably a little worried that Phish is back and are wondering how that will affect them......ROFL

"so in my opinion".....LOL

"If any SCI fans are offended I apologize for offending you but I stick to what I just said"......ROFL

"Have fun AC/DC BAG you are exactly what's GREAT about the Cheese.....People like YOU are not there !!!

Have fun in Victoria......D

Ps....ROFL = (rolling on floor laughing)

"In times past, knowledge of the bowel was more widespread and people were taught how to care for the bowel. Knowing the ways of keeping the bowel healthy, and in good shape, is the best way I know to keep away from the grip of disease and sickness."

-Dr. Bernard Jensen, Tissue Cleansing Through Bowel Management

Go fuck youself music man, I gave my opinion, not yours or anyone else, I stick to what I said including that you should go fuck yourself.

Just because you are trying to promote your favorite little band and other people aren't as into them is no reason to start insulting me, my experiences are real and my opinions very valid. I love music, I have once (this post) said something negative about a band on this board.

You are a classic example of what I am talking about with regards to the "Cheesehead" community, very little respect for others, and you, you dumb fuck, probably don't even get it, enjoy your little show asshole, couldn't pay me to spend time with pricks like you.

I want to apologize to everyone else on this board for my rant. I was angry, calm blue ocean time now, none of us needs that kind of energy, sorry.

I have supported so much of what upstream has brought to the coast I was suprised and angered to find that someone associated with that organization would attack me for not liking a band as much as they do. Really dissapointed. There's not a show they bring in that I can't go see in Seattle.

Well Kung, you seem to me like the Tool of the Week.

Even if you don't like the band, the stuff you said just makes YOU sound stupid, your opinion discredited.

Why would anyone care about YOUR opinion when you write anane, child-like comments, like the ones posted in your "Cheese West" thread. I would have pulled your press passes too. Who cares what the hell you have to say!

You obviously show no class or taste; and definately no PROFESSIONALISM. I can't believe they even gave you the passes is the first place. I can imagine how many more deserving people are out there.

But then again, afterall, you are the Tool of the Week.

Guess I got a little hot around the collar there as well, my apologies if my rant offended others.

My venom directed at AC/DC BAG was bourn out of disbelief and shock at the ignorance of his statements.

I discredit his opinions because they are simply so incredibly unfounded.

Firstly saying that Mike Kang thinks he's Trey?????......Think about it.....Kang plays mandolins and violins. Anyone who would claim to know anything about the Cheese knows that he has a JERRY FETISH NOT A TREY FETISH. They don't have anything to do with Phish, just as Phish didn't have anything to do with the Dead.....comparing apples to oranges here.....

Secondly, his statement that the Cheese were better 5-6 years ago.....Think about it......6 years ago, they were playing bars in Colorado. I would be very surprised if ACDC Bag had even heard of them back then????....I first saw them play in a barn in California back in '97 and knew they had SOMETHING SPECIAL going on. But to suggest they have gotten WORSE in any way is simply ludicrous and BOGGLES me. I invite ACDC Bag to elaborate on his "directional shift" that made him lose his love for the Cheese??????? Was it because they got more popular? Because they Jam more????? What is it ACDC Bag?????

IMO, the current scene surrounding the Cheese has all the best elements of what I loved most about the DEAD scene, leaving behind the worst which seems to be so prevalent in other scenes (i.e. Spanger with puppy on a string asking to "Spare a Spill").

Anyhow, everyone love what you love, support what you want to support, keep your opinions flowing, fight TRUTH DECAY and IGNORANCE., and remember to keep an open mind.

And as far as the Cheese in concerned, do yourselves a favor and don't let unfounded opinions taint your views . GO SEE THEM FOR YOURSELVES WHENEVER YOU GET THE CHANCE AND FORM YOUR OWN OPINION. You won't be disappionted.

quote:

IMO, the current scene surrounding the Cheese has all the best elements of what I loved most about the DEAD scene, leaving behind the worst which seems to be so prevalent in other scenes (i.e. Spanger with puppy on a string asking to "Spare a Spill").

Never been to a show that I have had more hard drugs offered to me than a cheese show.

Molly, Molly, Molly... Mooooooooooooooooooolly.

Opposite hand, tOO reunion show had the LEAST amount of drugs (of any kind) offered to me. It was great.

i've stayed out of this till now just because my mother taught me that if you can't say something intelligent, don't say anything at all. But i have to say i agree (for what its worth) with Musicman. Regardless of whether you like the band or not, you have a professional responsibility to yourself as well as your readers as a journalist to provide an unbiased article or piece on every show you see. I am not that crazy about String Cheese anymore but it may be because i haven't had a chance to go and see them since 2000 and i have gotten into some other bands heavily that i can go see on a regular basis. To say that you have free passes but might not use them because "they don't mean that much to me" is ludicrous coming from a journalist. Its not your job to like them. Its your job to convey ideas, negative or positive, about the band and their music. So go ahead, go to the show and write your negative review, but do it based on factual information and not because there is a growing dislike for them in our particular part of town. I'm sure i speak for everyone when i say that any one of us would be happy to take some free tickets, press passes and backstage passes and party with one of the most popular bands in the "jam" world today. If you don't like them then just fucking party and don't even talk to the band. OR, be that professional i mentioned and interview the band regardless of your opinions because that is what a journalist does.

AC/DC, i gotta touch on your ideas now because they struck home as things i've heard before. Why in the world would you say that Kang wants to be Trey??? Their styles are soooo different that there is no way to make that comparison. It seems to be an immature opinion that just came from trying to sound like you know something. I'm not trying to say that you are immature or your opinions are immature because who am i to say what you are like without even knowing you. It is just that that is the way you came across in your post.

I am all for the expression of opinions because that is what a group of intelligent people can pull off and that is how ideas are exchanged and that is how progress in our society is made.

Now for the usual disclaimer where i say that i am not trying to piss anyone off with my opinions. Fuck that. I said what i said because that is MY opinion and it is my freedom to do what i say. My brother just asked me what i am doing and i told him and he seemed to sum it up with one simple statement. "People just use the internet to complain, mostly anyway." Lets use this medium for more than just complaining people.

Jeff.

First off I agree with Tool Of The Week, that's about how I feel. But I truly thought of this forum as a semi-private community of listeners somewhat familiar with one another, certainly not a wider gateway to say the States. Maybe that's naive but this often feels like a gated community. Plus there's supposed to be at least some modicum of privacy even though everyone (apparently) knows one another. The decision to pull the passes, whatever, sure it's a prudent decision but as a result of what, playing cyber sleuth and poring over threads of message board discussions. Sorry but that seems rather inane for a major American band or publicist. Besides the fact that the statements were all true, I really was wrestling with the cost of going out West despite the free tics. That seemed like an odd situation, like 'you can't pay me to go see that band'. The Slip to me was worth the money for the trip and the Cheese was a bonus. The Slip seems to me more relevant, compelling, more legitimately musical, more intelligent, more refined, more likely to produce lasting records of consequence etc.

Everybody is hung up on the fact that because I make some low brow comments in advance of a performance I can't then be objective. For the record I expected to be blown away by the Cheese, by their effortless mastery in playing but not by their deft songwriting ability. That's a no brainer. I vote with my feet when I'm at a show anyways. Anyone who actually knows me knows I rarely stand still when I'm at shows. So I would have been there and open to the experience, able and qualified to report on the experience. But I made a bed and I have to lie in it. When people are involved with a cult of personality it's very difficult to be the person who is willing to try and translate that into a broader sweep and tide. To bring all that you can to the performance both in terms of participation and reflection. In any case the last thing the Cheese needs is unbiased objective reporters who AREN'T taking drugs going to their shows. Either your on the bus or your off the bus. Outsiders could rightly mistake this music for masturbatory polyethnic tripe.

quote:

Originally posted by MusicMan:

shock at the ignorance of his statements.

I discredit his opinions because they are simply so incredibly unfounded.

Firstly saying that Mike Kang thinks he's Trey?
???
?......Think about it.....Kang plays mandolins and violins. Anyone who would claim to know anything about the Cheese knows that he has a JERRY FETISH NOT A TREY FETISH. They don't have anything to do with Phish, just as Phish didn't have anything to do with the Dead.....comparing apples to oranges here.....

Secondly, his statement that the Cheese were better 5-6 years ago.....Think about it......6 years ago, they were playing bars in Colorado. I would be very surprised if ACDC Bag had even heard of them back then.

Okay man I'm not sure how old you are but I've been collecting and trading Phish shows since early 91. Over the next decade, along with the Phish shows, people I was trading with sent tapes (maxell xlII's you know the drill) of other bands they were getting into including early DMB, Bela Fleck, leftover salmon and yes SCI. If you actually did see them in 97 then they weren't just playing bars in colorado five or six years ago now were they? (first tapes I ever heard were 97, we are almost at 2003 do the math), to me they were far more "bluegrassy" than they are now. As Phish climbed towards the pinnacle of comtemporary jambands many other bands started incorporating more elements of jamming into there original style. SCI is one of these bands. There was, and I stick to it, a shift in the musical direction of SCI (I DIDN"T SAY IT WAS WORSE just in my opinion I liked early SCI better, don't be an asshole who thinks I'm not allowed an opinion like that) and instead of telling me I'm ignorant get some early tapes and compare them to now, we're not talking just developement we are also talking jumping on the jamwagon. I have no problem with that, In fact I'm glad the more the merrier, but fuck off about telling me I'm ignorant because you're not the only fucker into music. You are however the only one of the two of us that is into SCI, be happy with that. Why do you have to prove to anyone that they're amazing or the best thing you've ever seen. I'm happy you like them but get over the fact not everyone is going to. SCI fans remain some of the most insecure fans I've met.

Okay onto my Kang/Trey comparison. I think a good example can be seen in their Austin City Limits performance, fuck man if you didn't think he was looking and sounding like a watered down Trey, playing his "electric mandolin", then we, as I have already decided, just differ in our opinions. Fuck, every jamband guitarist in the world is into Jerry give me a break, I am making a contemporary comparison and I stand by it no matter what you have to say. SCI benefitted from Phish hiatus big time and it was not suprising to me that certain aspects of what made Phish were attempted by SCI and others.

regarding hoopers, rumors abound about lack of respect for venues (check out which ones they'll never be invited to play again) and other bands fans, check those out for yourself, as for my experience I don't want to say anything other than I'm glad the Phish community will be celebrating together again soon.

Musicman you seem to have a big ego when it comes to music, you know it all hey because you're with upstream right? You're insulting my intelligence and displaying you own ignorance

by not just letting me voice my opinion and leaving it at that. funny thing is, mostly I was just trying to make some guy who got his tickets stripped because of something he wrote on a "sanctuary" board feel a little better (did you have something to do with that? maybe Americans don't read this board?)

I respect the musicians in SCI but after this little thing with you my distaste for some of the fans remains. You went out of your way to try and show me up as some dickhead who's opinions don't matter because I don't like your band, I repeat, weak little man, very weak.

I have nothing more to say to you, and I apologize to the others on this board who have to wade through this shit.