Jambands.ca

Amon Tobin @ Babylon TONIGHT- Roll Call

Guest Low Roller

Guest Low Roller

Well the difficult decision has been made. Jimmy Swift is an amazing band, but Amon Tobin only graces Ottawa once in a blue moon. Ninja Tune shows have never disapointed me in the past and I expect no different tonight.

Anybody else thinking of going to Babylon tonight?

Guest Low Roller

Ninja Tune is a British music label with acts such as Amon Tobin, The Herbalizer, Coldcut, Four Tet, Antibalas, and Kid Koala. They typically are very careful who they sign to the label, and prefer to stick to the drum-n-bass, jungle, ambient and experimental electronic.

Tobin's music is unlike anything you've ever heard. It fuses heavy jazz with super-hi-BPM drum-n-bass. His rhythms draw on bossa nova and samba while he samples creepy string arrangements, standup bass, vicious vibes, spastic horn solos and piano loops, taking "out of control" to the next level.

Guest Low Roller

Not sure. Typically Ninja Tune shows run from $10 to $15. If that tips the budgie, then by all means hit Jimmy Swift. Tonight is a great night for live music in Ottawa!!!

Guest Low Roller

Ok, I'm listening to some of the stuff here.

The Prefuse73 Home Page has some audio to listen to. It's hip-hop, R&B, with some bizarre breaks. It's ok. Not really my thing, but can be interesting.

Bonobo is signed to the Ninja Tune label (hence he is the shiznit). His sound was described as 'Jazz-Hop'. I couldn't find any audio samples.

Bonobo is good, but be prepared folks-Tobin doesn't play live, and he doesn't play alot of his stuff. He DJ's. I've seen him a few times and it's good and all but it seemed to be more him having some fun and playing some tunes than him cranking out that insane-o breaksnjazziness he makes in his studio.

Now with that in mind, I could be wrong. His new album comes out today/tomorrow and he just moved his studio to Montreal from Bristol, so maybe he's got other plans...

Get the albums-they are phenomenal!!

Prefuse 73 is wicked. If I go, I'll be there to see him. The guy's name is Scott Herren, from Atlanta, and his other projects (can't remember names right now) are equally good. Small samples turn into wicked vocal tracks.

Bonobo is decent - saw him last time he was in Ottawa with DJ Food as wasn't super-impressed. Good beats though.

I don't know who said it, but Amon Tobin definitely doesn't play 'super-fast BPM' stuff. It's jazzy, funky, sometimes just plain strange, but it's definitely not house, jungle or any of that. (According to my musical knowledge...)

Don't know if I can make it, after having said all that. Last time Tobin was here he packed the Merc just with his guest list and left many fans (such as myself) outside and pretty pissed. Let's hope there's room in Babylon for regualr folk.

ad

Guest Low Roller

After a mild anxiety attack last night, I made the sobering decision of catching up on my sleep and not burning out mid-week. So after all the hoopla about Amon Tobin, I just stayed home.

Nothing to report here.

Yeah Bricolage is wicked!! Check out Supermodified for some even more amazing stuff-less sample specific and more musical

I highly recommend anyone reading this thread check out the following albums!!!

Tosca - Suzuki

Kruder & Dorfmeister - K & D Sessions

David Holmes - Lets Get Killed

Fila Brazillia - Touch of Cloth

Fila Brazillia - Power Clown

Fila Brazillia - Luck Be a Weirdo Tonite

Doc Scott - Lost in Drum n Bass(mixmag)

DJ Food - Kaleidoscope

Spring Heel Jack - 68 Million Shades

Rhinocerese - Installation Sonore

Herbalizer - Very Mercenary

Mr. Scruff - hmmm can't remember the name...

ALL OF THE RED SNAPPER ALBUMS