Jambands.ca

Good songs in weird places

Brels

Ever find yourself out in the world and suddenly realize there is a really good song in the backround that you would never have expected?

I was a at typical downtown Toronto restaraunt today (Milestones, near John and Queen) for lunch with a group from work...suddenly I realized "Alive Again" by Trey was playing in the backround.

Weird...who would have thought.

Anyone else got any examples?

Estimated Prophet, Smiths Falls grocery store.

That was about as weird as it gets.

Whilst spending too many years at Toys R Us, I came to realize that one of the programmers for their music station (seems like many large chains had the same station), must have been a Deadhead. For a three year period, I counted 34-38 Dead or Dead-related tunes. Of all the Dylan tunes, they chose ones the Dead covered. Same with many of the Beatles songs (who else would pick I Want To Tell You or LSD instead of any number of classics?).

There were so many more that I cant remember, but I used to have a list. I was going to contact CSIS, cause I the stations thought they were trying to 'relay me messages'

It was spooky.

"Who you callin a psycho?"

Doesn't music make the world go round?

The most meaningful, weird, perfect moment with a song occured as the weary Starship Harpua (our rented RV) limped back up the 401 from the Big Cypress adventure. Everyone was out of their slumber just waiting to get home and out of that vehicle. When we passed the Welcome to London sign, almost as a sign from above: Thin Lizzys "The Boys are Back in Town" came blasting on the local radio station. Quite cool. Just ask Scottieking, and AD.

My second moment was after moving to Saint John, New Brunswick in March from Ontario. The first night I went out to a bar to check out a band it was for BNB. We went earlier in the afternoon to see where the bar was, admission etc. When we walked through the door- Jomomma was playing! Man that took me right back home.......

And the funniest moment I had was with Tungsten and another old friend in a grocery store in Columbus OH. We were around 9 days into Summer Tour 2000 and were lacking in both the sleep and brain cell departments. Somehow a Muzak version of Bob Marleys "Stir it UP" just made us weird. The song culminated in Eric, Mike and myself lying in a grocery isle crying with laughter. I don't really even remember what went on, but I suspect it had something to do with Dr Zimmermans Goat Logs...........

Sean

I've got two incidents that come to mind.

1. I went to school in London and one day sitting around the Spoke (Western's on campus bar) just having a liquid lunch, live phish breaks the silence. They played a whole show (didn't recognize it) and needless to say I spent the afternoon nailed to my chair. The reason this blew my mind is that Western is such a "Top 40" school and there are only a handful of music lovin' fools. It turns out that one of the aforementioned MLF's just got a job at the Spoke and so I was treated to delightful tunes while I boozed away the afternoon.

2. I was hanging out at home with my parents over last Spring break and I'm explaining to them that I'm gonna head down to Tennessee to check out the inaugural Bonnaroo festival. They ask what bands I'll be seeing there and no sooner had the question hit my ears, Gov't Mule screems over the CBC airwaves.

I always love a musical surprise.