Jambands.ca

Music Stores in Toronto

Asparagus

There's a great music store at Yonge and Eglinton called Ed's Record World . Lots of imports, etc. 416.486.1144

There used to be an awesome one called Incredible Records (2nd floor) at Yonge and Bloor that all musicians playing in town would stop by and hang out at: Santana, Stones, etc. Lots of cool memorabilia on the walls. The guy that owned it closed it down and moved to San Fransisco to open up shop. However, his brother has a store in Kingston (not sure if its still open but it was around when I went to school there) called Brian's Record Option.

I LOVE vortex, I always walk outta there with some hidden gem, that I can't understand how anyone could ever get rid of.

Another interesting used shop is called CD Exchange which is at Queen and John, just north of Queen. Most of the used cd's aren't too hot, but there is usually something. However the best part about this store is what's under the counter. I've grabbed both Dylan Bootleg series #4 and Bitches Brew - Japanese import from there. You think there are gonna be used, but strangely enough they are still wrapped in plastic, and have hmv tags on them, and half the price.. Whatever... hehe

So one of my dream jobs would be to run a small specialized music shop downtown. It only will sell jazz, blues, funk, groove, jam etc... Think there is enough of an audience to support a shop like that in TO?

I LOVED Incredible Records (Sorry Asparagus, I know that doesn't help you now), but what a great store that was. The walls were full of posters, memorabilia, artwork by some beatles, Jim Morrison...just tons of cool things. Their collection of records was truly amazing too. Vinyl doesn't sell the way it used to. Sorry to hear they closed. [Frown]

The Record Peddler on Queen St. West near Bathurst is great. Mostly new stuff there, with great detail in hard-to-find stuff. Ed's at Yonge and Eglinton ( along with the other CD Replay stores at Yonge and Bloor, beside the Uptown theatre; and CD replay at Bloor and Brunswick ). Note: CD Replay also has a lot of new cds - the stores are run by a Deadhead, so there's plenty of Phish, Dead, Hendrix and Zappa. Actually, they have one of the best Dead sections in Toronto.

Used CDs - Vortex Records (also at Yonge and Eglinton - 2nd floor store) 416.483.7437. This store has a great selection of used CDs and vinyl. There's a sister store (another Vortex Records) on 229 Queen Street West just a block east of Much Music. ph: 416-593-8523

Other best music store I forgot to mention is Soundscapes 572 College Street (just west of Bathurst). 416-537-1620

Great independent store that also carries concert tickets, music literature, has in store performances and is also a big supporter of the local music scene. All the staff are really knowledgable about music if you're looking for stimulating conversation.