Jambands.ca

Question of the Day 10-31-02

Ms.Huxtable

Happy Halloween Everyone!!!

Today I want to know what the scariest album you own and love is, or rather, what CD you will put on and just love, but would be embarrassed to let someone know you loved.

Mine is the Glory of Girshwin. I just LOVE Girshwin, but can't throw that CD on with just anyone around. [Wink]

Probably the scariest (in the usual sense) record I own (on LP only) is "Trout Mask Replica" by Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band. I listen to this one about once every two or three years, and that's enough. If I ever had neighbours who were continually obnoxious with music coming through the walls, this would be the record I'd use to get even (not 'cause it's bad [it isn't], but because its musicality is so incredibly orthogonal to most peoples').

My "guilty pleasure" record would have to be "Un Led-ed" by Dread Zeppelin. For a long time, this was the only Zep I had on CD*, and when I wanted to jam along with Zep, this was the CD I used.

I also have a couple of records by Shonen Knife, but most people wouldn't know who they are**.

Aloha,

Brad

* I've got "Presence" and "Physical Graffiti" now.

** They're a trio of three Japanese former office girls, who decided to write their own songs because Ramones tunes were too hard to play.

Shoen Knife - are those the japanese girls? I love them... oh now i see that you said it is -- they did top of the world wickedly, i use to imitate it all the time - people thought i was nuts

rarely people like what i have on cd... I quite enjoy things like marvin gaye motown ballads and crooner type stuff - A la doris day etc. High Hopes, show tunes - gershwin [Wink] ratpack and sappy stuff like tapestry

therefore i usually listen to my music alone [big Grin]

what the scariest album you own and love is:

Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsies

That Machine Gun TERRIFIES me. Also, I dont own this one, but Funkadelic's Maggot Brain scares me too. Well, the first track anyways [Wink]

DO NOT TRY THESE ON (SLD). Save it for the pro's. I would actually pay to go see JackAss if there were footage of the above. That could be worse than those US army experiments in the 60's.

hmmm scariest would have to be the Manson Family Opera by John Moran....

http://www.deccaclassics.com/archive/www.pointmusic.com/moran.htm

or for runner up Steven Jesse Bernstein's Prison, this got a lot of play in my formative years(whatever they were forming)

http://artists.spun.com/steven_jesse_bernstein

But Butthole Surfers can be pretty damn scary at times too- Even King Crimson's Larks Tongue in Aspic pt.1 can scare the bejesus outta ya if you're not expecting it.

Everynow and then i can flip between Moistboyz(Ween side project) Melvins or Helmet for some heavy duty scariness...

As for the embarassing stuff, I have the entire Ultra-Lounge series of 50's/60's lounge tunes, swing, bossanova, tiki music...i love it all-not many others do though.

ps Brad I love Dread Zeppelin!! that album is fuggin great and I'll shout it out loud. Wadda brilliant concept-reggae style Zep tunes with an Elvis impersonator singing!! hehehe

When I used to DJ dances in high school we'd play their version of Stairway to Heaven just to mess everyone up...

Guest Low Roller

My scariest album is Night on Bald Mountain by Russian(?) composer Modest Mussorgsky. If anybody has ever seen Fantasia, they remember the scene of the mountain that becomes a winged demon. It scared me shitless when I saw it as a kid. Well the music used for that is Night on Bald Mountain.

Other frightening albums are Buckethead's first album (forget the name), Soulfly (self titled), Rob Zombie's Hell-billy Deluxe, and Father Abraham in Smurfland (THAT is fucked up shit).

Scariest CD I have would be Brian Eno's "Ambient 4: On Land" - the quiet spooky sounds of atoms splitting and life forces shattering....

...one CD I could only listen to alone without getting red-faced would be Jane Siberry's "The Walking". It just sounds *so* dated but for some reason, I dig every track on it.... a much better and less embarrassing album from her would be "Maria", a quiet classic full of improv and great playing!

Well, as far as something im embarrassed about, i don't really have one ?? as far as i see it, if you don't like my music, TOO BAD!!

Anyhow, something that scared the crap out of me was the Bucket of Bernie Brains show from Bonnarroo...CRAZY!! the first time i heard the show i had to take a good long break between discs..my heart couldn't handle it.

Scary-scary: Mule Varations by Tom Waits - not the whole album, but the song "What's He Building?" - turn the lights off and listen to that, I dare ya!

Embarrassing-scary: Jeez, that's hard for me 'cus I've got such cheesey taste! Perhaps Age Of Plastic by the Buggles. Yes, I am the one guy in North America who has it on CD.

Peace,

Mr. M.

P.S. Yo Ms. H, I love Glory of Gerswin too! I'm a sucker for anything with great harmonica playing anyway, and Rhapsody In Blue is one of the greatest examples of chromatic playing on record, period.

quote:

Originally posted by Tungsten Gruvsten:

ps Brad I love Dread Zeppelin!! that album is fuggin great and I'll shout it out loud. Wadda brilliant concept-reggae style Zep tunes with an Elvis impersonator singing!! hehehe

When I used to DJ dances in high school we'd play their version of Stairway to Heaven just to mess everyone up...

Try Zappa's (reggae!) version ("The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life", Disc 2, last track)...it's a mind-bender.

For me, the standout track on "Un Led-ed" is probably...oh, god, I have to go back and listen to the damn thing now...wait a bit...

...OK, I'm back...I think it's either "The Immigrant Song" (which dovetails nicely with Dr. H's recent "cute" link; that song has a rock-steady groove that can be driven into blissful heaviosity) or "Moby Dick" (even though I think the drums on it are sampled; but with the spoken excerpts from Melville's novel, it works pretty well).

"Talk to Charlie Haj, he'll tell you

"Charlie, how many people in this room has their time come?

"Four? Four out of six? And you ain't one of the two..."

"Don't mess with Ed"

"You be illin'

"And chillin'"

Aloha,

Brad

quote:

Originally posted by dancingfool:

bradm, can I have a copy of that Capt. Beefheart album? Is it the one with "The Blimp" on it? ...a listen at Shonen Knife would be welcome too... just a listen.
[big Grin]
I've been hearing about them for years.

"Trout Mask Replica" does indeed have "The Blimp" on it (along with "Dachau Blues"). My copy's an LP, so I'm not sure about the borrowing/copying prospects. If/when I get it on CD (and/or transfer from LP to PC), I'll see about setting you up.

I haven't inventoried the Shonen Knife for a while, but what I've got, you can borrow. I know I have at least one tape and one CD.

Aloha,

Brad

quote:

Originally posted by MarcO:

Hey man - that's a *great* CD.

Okay, I admit I wasn't entirely clear - for most people, it'd be great musical torture. It's pushing it for me, but I did listen to it when it passed in the middle of the afternoon on CBC years ago. In broad daylight. All 63+ minutes of it. I came in after the beginning, so I had no clue what.. that... was, but had to stick in 'til the end and listen to the reactions. I was not disappointed. Callers melted CBC's phone lines, damn nearly. [big Grin]

I can see the piece's emotional power, but it needs the right mood and moment, I think. Not exactly something you put on to entertain guests, at the very least. [smile]

bradm: My sister has a turntable, and I may get one soon depending how things go... no, I've no more clue where I'd put it than you do... but I can understand the reticence of further deteriorating the vinyl any more than necessary.