Jambands.ca

Question of the Day 10-31-02

Ms.Huxtable

I think the scariest stuff ever recorded is by blues artists, but Robert Johnson's : " The Complete Recordings " is the most terrifying. The scariest songs on these collections is: Hellhound on My Trail & Stones In My Passway. Traveling Riverside Blues isn't scary, but Johnson's guitar playing and vocals give me the chills every time.

Funkadelic's Maggot Brain is one frightening ride. So is the last song: Wars Of Armageddon. And yes, Booche is right. Machine Gun on the original release ( single album ) of The Band Of Gypsies may be the scariest solo ever recorded.

Is it too late to reply?..

Probably one of the scariest albums I have (on tape) is "The Talent Show". That's exactly what it is, some American church-hall community talent show where the only ones with any talent are the lady accompianist and the Vietnamese family of singers (including the little boy soloing the charming tune, "There Is a Fountain Filled with Blood"). The, um, 'exploits' singing of Jack Mudurian are worth(?) the price of admission alone. Guaranteed to drive anyone nuts. ..okay, I like it myself. I'm weird. (A friend and I have an unofficial contest as to who can find the oddest and most unlistenable music around. He complied a tape, "Difficult Listening", which no longer is to me except for the excerpt from the truly execrable children's wannabe album "Eustace the Useless Rabbit".)

Ahem.

At least it's not as bad as Gavin Bryars' Jesus' Blood Never Failed Me Yet, guaranteed musical torture.

MarcO, I see no problem with listening to any Jane Siberry. [smile]

Guilty pleasures? Probably too many to count, but I occasionally won't mind some Supertramp. The earlier albums.

bradm, can I have a copy of that Capt. Beefheart album? Is it the one with "The Blimp" on it? ...a listen at Shonen Knife would be welcome too... just a listen. [big Grin] I've been hearing about them for years.