Jambands.ca

Phish 03 vs Dead 77

scottieking

The Dead took a hiatus in the mid 70's and came back with new material, a different groove and subsantial substance abuse problems.

Phish took a hiatus in the early 00's and came back with new material......

How do you think this one finishes? Obviously we've seen various incarnations of the Phab Phour, what do you think they'll look like on this run? Bigger jams?Smaller jams? New focus? A Return to More Complex Composition?

A golden era ahead or as in the latter example, the beginning of the end?

Let the games begin.....

HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA!

Boo-tifull..............

I wish you were getting drunk with the Sloth and I this Friday.

Hey Sloth, are you coming over so we can get into this again?

All I gotta say, wasnt it about 10 years the Dead were into their career when they took a break?

It would have been nifty if they had awaited about 15 years............yup.

This tour will be great, maybe their best because they'll have a new ( and likely strong ) album to support - not to mention Trey's solo stuff and maybe an Oysterhead song or two. I think that their songwriting, mainly Trey's, is getting stronger as the years go on. This can only help their tour.

Well, I think that 2003 will be an excellent year for phishing. Lots of new material will be great and the energy will be unmatched to be sure.

Is it possible the best years are behind them?? I for one believe that the best years for the Dead were in the early 70's (72 was GREAT). I also think that the best year to see Phish was '97. In both cases i think each band was reaching a frenzy, both musically and within the community of extended family/fans.

Although the Holiday shows will be great, I think the summer tour will really be the meat of it all. Even though it would be fun to be at NYE, I for one am not that dissapointed that I won't be there. The summer will be where its at....musically speaking anyhow.

of course, when its all said and done, i have no FREAKING idea whats going to happen!!! and thats the basis for what this whole crazy trip is all about!!

I think that Trey's best years are still ahead of him. Phish will be good as ever, with lots of new material to play. Their albums have gotten consistantly better over the years. When it's all said and done, it all comes down to the songs. This new album should be their best and this tour should be incredible.

I agree with ya Jaimoe, I think that the new album is gonna be the best yet!! It just seemed to come out naturally (based on what we're told anyhow) rather than "oh shit, we GOTTA get a new album on the shelves!!" I also think that the albums have been consistently stronger over the years.

I preordered the new one and I can't wait to hear that puppy!

Good move Solar on the pre-order. I can wait until it comes to CD Replay in Toronto. They have the best prices that I've seen in Ontario for new releases. I don't like ordering stuff on-line. I still haven't digested Trey's solo album, and I've had it since the day it was released. There's just too much good music out there. It's quite distracting in a good way.

quote:

I for one believe that the best years for the Dead were in the early 70's (72 was GREAT).

I am almost with you on this one SG.

One drummer, not two, oh I wish I wish.

I wish I could look into a Crystal ball and see what the band would have been like had Mickey not come back cause I LOVED the jazzy-feel of 72-74. That had a huge impact on their playing.

Not that I am complaining [big Grin]

I love Phish more than ever for taking a two-year break and doing basically what I hoped for when they announced it: explore new musical directions individually, write lots of new material and put out a CD before hitting the road. Check, check and check again!

Two years?!? Man, it feels like about a year ago I felt that Big Cypress sunshine beating down on me after an all-nighter with the Best Band In the World. I can't wait to hear what they sound like, although I beg patience from evryone to let them get through those first 4 shows and hit the road proper before any firm judgments are made. They are bound to be a bit frayed around the edges, but the fresh energy will more than make up for it.

Jams? Well, Trey has been jamming non-stop with his band and Page seems ready to assert himself and his musical potential after years of being lost in the overall mix. Wanna break out those new synths Page? Go for it!! And one can only imagine the inspiration Mike is developing with his association with Leo Kottke. And Fishman will have a whole new generation of young hippie girls to mount, he must be very excited!! [Wink]

New material. Promises of mucho touring. Positive attitudes. Fresh approaches.

How could it go wrong??? [big Grin][big Grin] It's gonna be fucking fantastic!

I can't wait to see some more tour dates!