What a trip!

ekoostik hookah

PromoWest - Columbus, OH

12/31/02

Set 1

Bone, Life Is Good, Godspeed, Exodus*#,

Sheepdog>Ohio Grown, Dragonfly, Caravan, Abdega Gaga, Alexander II

Set 2

Screwed up countdown>Auld Lang Syne>Spiders>Vipers Drag>Spiders, One Last Look Around, Change, Little Maggie, Caribou, Deal With It, Utopia>London Calling*>Utopia, Red Light Boogie E:Keepin' Time>Hang On Sloopy>Buckeye Battle Cry>Keepin' Time

* denotes first time played

#featured the following members of The Wailers:

Gary Pine (Vocals), Vin Gordon (Trombone), Glen DaCosta (Saxophone), Ras Mel Glover (Acoustic Guitar), Earl "Chinna" Smith (Electric Guitar), Ernest "Drummie Zeb" Williams (Drums).

Drove down on the 30th. Made it in record time. (about 2 hrs and 50 minutes from the Windsor/ Detroit border.)

The PromoWest is a great venue with real lax security. A balcony that went around the whole place.

Not much of a review here. The Wailers opened. It was okay. We got to the venue too early. Half hour before the Wailers came on. I could have handled getting there half way through their set. No problem though. The beer was flowing nicely. (Perhaps a little too much so.)

After a 'Bone' opener on the 27th in Detroit, I was quite surprised to have a 'Bone' opener again. Surprised, but not disappointed. Love that song! The first set was very solid. Life is Good, Sheepdog, Caravan, Dragonfly, AlexII... the place was a raging mess!

The NYE cheer was flowing freely and therefore 2nd set is a bit blurry. Was thinking we would get a 'Spiders' sometime over the night. It was perhaps a little ill-placed though. I would have loved a 'SlipJig' to start off the New Year. 'Alexander I' would have been awesome too! Not sure if they've ever played II before I in a show before. (Maybe once). Also, the 'London Calling' was fun and a nice ode to the late Mr. Strummer. Anyways, I know they played more songs and I had fun but have no details what so ever. 'Keepin Time' encore was fun.

It was super meeting fellow skanks dancingbear and Katie (umm.. I forget your skank name - bongowombo or something [smile] ) at the hotel before the show and then meeting up at the show. dancingbear bought me the biggest damn beer I have ever seen! Thanks dude. You certainly contributed to my heedlessness of post countdown happenings.

All in all a worth while trip. My sides are aching from getting about 1000 hugs over the night.

Would a certain band that played in O-Dot have provided a more fulfilling NYE? We shall see next year! [big Grin]

well meggo, after scanning and saving them on your computer, you will ned to find someone to support them on the internet. You could email them to people but to be bale to post them say, on this site, you will have to have them hosted.

As far as using your scanner goes, open up a photo editing program of some sort. You should be able to find an import feature there. I can scan them for ya if you wnat.

Yeah, Mark! Happy New Years to you too!

The show that I hooked you up with a while back isn't really a good representation of the power of hookah. It's a wedding show, and thus, there are lots of slower tunes. Also, perhasp not the same crowd intesity feeding energy back to the band. Sharp in teh Flats is good stuff.

You really ought to come along the next hookah venture. I'll keep you posted.

See you in Hamilton on the 16th? if not, I'll see you on the 17th!

Tonin, you have GOT TO see this band. They have such an intimate relationship with their fans, it makes for a real close feeling when you are at the show. They are fairly big, but by all means do not act like it. They host their own 20000+ festival twice a year and mingle throught the audience like there were 50 people there pleasantly talking to all who approach.

KK, awesome review!! Too bad i was working [Frown][Frown][Frown] I did manage to get nice and drunk at work though. I saw that setlist on the web on the first and i was totally blown by that first set. Love the Bone to open it up, gotta love that bone. Sounds a lot like my Hookah nYE when i could not remember a damn thing. FUN FUN FUN. Glad you had a good time, BTW, who all went with you ? See ya at school, i have to work from tomorrow until the 8th straight.

Yes kk, that show you sent me didn't grab me like Sharp in the Flats did ... I'm not sure if it's the show itself, the recording quality versus an official release, or what. But I will give it another listen (after I get this Sharp in the Flats out of my player).

Schwa, hopefully I'll be able to hook up with you and kk and others for an EH adventure at some point in 2003. I've heard nothing but good things about EH and about the festivals they run.

Peace, Mark

Schwa,

Lara, Blair, Mud, and I went down on the 30th. JV and Loleeta and Karin met us on NYE day. Carrgo and Renders showed up a alittle later. dancingbear and Katie met us before the show. Nice group. Also, ran into some friends we met at the mansion party the Friday prior. woo hoo! I pulled a buttock muscle doing 'the move' for someone who saw me at the party... Couldn't sleep right for a couple of nights. [Mad]

Too bad about your work schedule. You're gonna be able to retire by the time you're done school though!

ACE,

Yeah, you could have missed a better (less expensive) show. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

JustSmkd1,

Happy New Year to you and Tara too! That picture is awesome! Thanks for sending the full sized one to me. "Esau the Human Bong!" Bet you've always wished you could smoke yourself, eh, Greg? hee hee.

dancingbear,

You're right, caribou is a lot of fun! See you at hookahville?

Which "move" is that? I have lost track of all of the moves. Is it the one where you punch a lot? [big Grin] Anyhoo, wouldn't it be a perfect world if one could retire by the time they were done school? [Wink] Have you seen the link to hookaheads for all of those mansion pics? Maji is in a bunch of them as well as a pic of Babber. Loved those guys, powerful vocals. See ya soon for one of those fabled school night raves! I need one of those nights bad.....No NYE and NO Beer makes Schwa something something. Go Crazy?....eventually.

Here is the link:

http://gallery.hookahheads.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=Duncan

It's the move where I kind of throw my left leg to the right, then with wicked momentum snap back into a more normal standing position. It's been said to look like a spring-loaded action figure! I'll show you the next time we're partying. Don't ask me in any normal setting though. It's just not safe! [Roll Eyes]

Yeah, I checked out those pictures the other day. I didn't see the picture of Blair. I'll have to have another look. I was looking to see if there was a picture of me singing "LL Rain" with Electric Magi. I guess it was all recorded! Need to seek that out.

Yep, school night raves will proceed as usual.

Ummm, I take it you heard about McKeon's Dad? [Frown]

Archived