Jambands.ca

Question about HDCDs

\/\/illy

Well, I am by no means an expert on the subject so take this for what it's worth. I did look into 'next-generation' recording formats a couple of years ago (SACD, DVD-A, HDCD) and from my understanding, HDCD will play in any CD drive. If you have a drive that can read the extra data, you get the extra sound, if you don't, you get the CD sound. I do have a bunch of HDCDs (no player though) and I have not had a problem with them in my home stereo, my various CD-ROM drives, or my car stereo.

The question is: Who is in favour of another music format and if you are, what should it be? HDCD? SACD? DVD-A? Other?

I have DVD-Audio of American Beauty.

If you have a 5.1 dolby digital, that format is KILLER. I'd still like to hear it in an actual dvd-audio player, but it's great in a regular ol' DVD player. Trey also have Workingman's Dead and Trey released his album in 5.1 here.

There still are other competing formats though like DTS Audio which I'm not sure if that can run through my digital receiver like DVD-Audio discs.

If you have the hardware, give them a shot!

I'm putting my Christmas list together, and now that I know about CD Replay in Toronto, I figure I've got a shot at a whole bunch of Grateful Dead titles I've been wanting for a while.

From scanning the online music store, I noticed that the recently-released titles are all High-Definition CD (HDCD).

Here's what worries me: I bought "The Pizza Tapes" a while ago at Record Runner, and it wouldn't play on either my DiscMan or my (approx. 13-year-old) NEC CD player at home. It skipped all over the place, and would never sync up. I could get it to play on the CD ROM in my office computer, so I don't think the disc was defective. I suspect it was because my older equipment doesn't like HDCDs. Has anybody else had problems playing HDCDs on older CD players? I don't want to get a stack of them, only to find out they won't play once I get back to Ottawa and can't return them.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Aloha,

Brad