Jambands.ca

ConFUSed....adVIce anYonE??!!

phishin4mango

so here i am, 27 years old, three university degrees in hand, waitressing for the past 3 years and not happy. HUGE debt load from school, trying to pay that off so i can go and live in the bush and try and lead a sustainable lifestyle.........hmmmmmmm somthing wrong here.can't find a career i like, debating going back to school - but for what???? i have a degree in Outdoor Recreation, Parks and Tourism, one in Geography and my Teaching Certificate. (Tried teaching for a year and hated it!!!) Love the outdoors, passion for the environment..............anyone have any ideas or advice............what does everyone else here do for a living) i know this has been asked before, but, i need a refresher!) [Frown] any advice is welcome at this point [Roll Eyes]

Well, I'll be in your boat one day.

I'm 20, first year University, general arts.

I have no student loans, but car loans and credit that's starting to build up.

I want to stay in the music industry and book for a living, but I don't think there'll ever be money, so maybe one day we'll be chilling out in the bush...

ya never know---

peace

[smile]

I'm in my last year of Urban and Regional Planning Planning at Ryerson. There is definatley room in this field for people with environmental interests (Environmental Planning). If you have 3 degrees, it is possible to take it at a masters level or you can enter into the 3rd of a 4th year program at Ryerson. Let me know if you have questions.

hi jason

thanks for your reply!!!! a light in the dark tunnel that i seem to have found myself in!

i sort of looked into that program briefly earlier today. i have been sulking infront of the internet all day trying to find programs of interest to me.........i don't even know where to start with questions for you. what kind of jobs do people get with such a degree i guess would be my main one??? you can reply to me at phishin4mango@yahoo.ca

that would be great!!!! i am going to the ryerson home page right now!

I'm currently laid off, so I'm taking advantage of the government resources that are available to me... Currently I'm taking a course that is funded by HRDC which is a two week career exploration course. I'm 28 and still not sure what I want to do when I grow up either.

In the course you take all kinds of personality tests that link up to job types that would be good for you. I have found this course to be extremely enlightening, and invaluable. I would highly reccomend taking this course if you can get yourself laid off, or if you have been laid of in the last three years I think you are still eligable.

In the meantime something you can do that might be usefull as take some of the tests that are online. The most valuable one I've found is called the Myers Briggs test, and I think there are some simialr ones online that will assign you one of 16 personality types, for example I am an INTP. You can then look up your persoanlity type and find all kinds of jobs that would good for your type. I was really skepticle, but was actually quite surprised with the results... This might help http://www.personalitytype.com/quiz.html

Hope my ramblings have been of some use.

What *really* confuses me is the tendency on this board to randomly intersperse capital and lower-case letters in subject headings. I used to think that they spelled something out. [smile]

I'm also 28 with an Honours B.A. (English & History) and a B.Ed. and two years teaching experience. I needed a break from teaching in Ontario, so I'm in Korea teaching English conversation classes. The pay is excellent (helps pay off those loans!), the students are actually eager, and the prep work is minimal. Working holidays satisfy the urge to travel and experience new places and cultures while actually climbing out of the debt hole. Sounds like you are just as overqualified for this job as I am. Think about it!

Like Trevor, I don't know what I want to be when I grow up, but I've found a solution - I'm just not going to bother growing up! [big Grin]

Cheerio,

Brian.

PS - Korea is cool, but apparently the *real* money is to be made in Japan...

Your Not Alone!

I'm 25 have my Tourism and Travel Diploma, not sure if tourism is where I want to spend the rest of my life. Want to go back to school, but like you - not sure what I want to do. Currently just moved back to London - can't find a job! AAAHHH!

If you love the outdoors and you've taken recreation have you ever thought of starting up a tour company that does week excursions (doing all the activities you like to do), this is one thought I've had about my own life. I think that's a major key in being happy - finding a passion of yours and creating it into a life long job.

I really hope everything works out for you I know how frustrating it is!

Sunnydays,

Lisa Marie

Hey there,

I guess ya gotta try to embrace the crossroads. I say combine your interest . Environment, teaching...I know you said you dislike teaching but there are so so many ways to teach. The traditional school system is just one of those ways. So many children and adults..(especially one's with special needs) require a different path, a different way of learning, a different teacher. What about creating a hands on ecology/environmental course, and passing on your passion to others who might not get a chance to experience it? I guess thats the essence of teaching anyhow

Right now I have a H.BSc in Ecology and Evolution, and currently am in my fourth year of meds. Looking at another five years (if i actually get to be the kinda doctor i want to be),. . so as someone accumulating lots of debt and feeling a bit confined...i say instead of going into a program you might be unsure of just take the time to figure out want you want, then make it happen. Best of luck. ...rock on...

whirled peas,

dancingbear

I am so sorry to hear that you are down and out, but keep your chin up (at least you finished your degrees) I was at Lakehead for a long time (Outdoor Pecker as well) and I still haven't finished. There are jobs that would suit you out on the west coast, like working with outdoor ed schools. I know that you do not like teaching, but what if it wasn't a traditional school? By the way, who is this because you were probably in my class. You could always just go on phish tour!!! Cheers.

hey,

having just stumbled upon this and read all of your interesting, wonderful, exciting, varied school/work experiences i just have to say that you have all done some great things. and what should you do? well, we are all confused. i'm 25, massive student loan, i've taken women's studies, nursing, outdoor rec and somehow managed to end up with a b.a and b.ed after it all. i teach and you know it isn't for everyone but like many have suggested there are tonnes fo alternative schools out there. (adult ed. is an option you may not have considered). ever considered doing an (environmental) masters program? i know that this may involve more debt, but you may

discover t.a/field work possibilities that pay you. i can put you in touch with a friend who is doing an environmental biology masters if you would like answers to questions...

jerrybear1

Hey Phishin!

My soon-to-be brother-in-law is in a similar boat, where he's got a degree and a diploma, and he's been doing techie-type jobs and hating it. His solution is to go back to his hometown of Canmore and get his certification or whatever it is he needs to be a guide at Banff. I really don't know much about the details of this, but it if it sounds like it would be up your alley I could probably find out more.

You might also be able to find some stuff on the Parks Canada site at http://parkscanada.pch.gc.ca

Best of luck!

- Mr. M.

I had a similar struggle a few years ago. Out of school, not sure of what direction I wanted to take, pressure building with debts and parental pushing.

My answer - I went travelling. With student status, the deals are plentiful and the hostels a great source of information. I found myself in Tofino B.C. for three months and just loved it. There are a ton of environmentally-based jobs out there.

My girlfriend in the exact same boat went to Australia and spent a year working here there and everywhere and came back a totally changed and much more relaxed person. Travel can sometimes take you out of the rut and give you a different perspective. The $ may seem like a hinder but I find if you're careful you can whittle away the debt while you find your way.

Ah - and if you do want to know the ending: I did find my way, went to school for two years in Journalism and found a great job doing what I love (with an unfortunate Hitler-ess for a boss)!

Good luck in whatever you choose!

i just want to thank everyone who read my post and gave me some ideas, some of which i have already thought about and will consider in more depth, and other ideas that never even came to mind.

west coast cully-who know who this is........it's amanda!!!

right now i guess i will just get ready for auburn hills and nye at msg, and then i will give it some more thought!!!!!

thanks again guys, there is a good group of people here with some great ideas brewing! [Wink]

Well, I have my BA, MA in English Lit. Yup, a real moneymaker! Cuurently writing technical guides for a software company, and hating it.

Have you looked into government positions? There are always new opportunities as policy analysts/advisors. Good pay, good benefits, and one of the few remaining places to get a decent pension. The work can indeed be interesting, but the politiking can be a pain. But, once your in, you can move around form dept to dept until you find something that really inspires you.

Best of luck!

Dennis