Jambands.ca

BOB Dylan/FREEKER SHOW IN HAMILTON NOV 30th

show---whore

na jay, it isn't stupid....its bob [Wink]

AFter all, you pay to see bob, to say you saw bob dylan, like i did before phil, not for the way his voice sounds anyways.....

so, the point of a bob dylan cover band would be to sing badly like someone else?????

Yes it is just a cover band Jay, but a dylan cover band..... [Confused]

Now for the pointless Canadian Band cover band grovel....

I want to see someone who can bust out all the ole neil young acoustic greats. gimme some hank to hendrix, or pocahontas.

anything but harvest moon and keep on rockin'.

fatties powderfinger = [Eek!][Eek!][big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by secondtube:

AFter all, you pay to see bob, to say you saw bob dylan, like i did before phil, not for the way his voice sounds anyways.....

so, the point of a bob dylan cover band would be to sing badly like someone else?
???
?

Yes it is just a cover band Jay, but a dylan cover band.....
[Confused]

wha?? [Confused][Confused]

maybe it didn't come out to clear. I Haven't even smoked anything today!

A dylan cover band = boring.

Jay asked if it was a cover band. I said it was, but why have a dylan cover band (jokingly) with the way dylan sounds (sings)? Its like you go and see dylan to say you saw dylan (like we did in deercreek). Remember that show????? I do, before phil.

So, i just commented on yes it is a cover band, but why have a DYLAN cover band?

I'm just gonna shut up now.

DId the neil young part make sense? probably not. i'm gonna go smoke a fatty bong hit and try this again. [Razz]

marc by looking at the tour setlists...can u decide which tOO shows you want. I think i pretty much have the whole tour.

I have two different versions of ALbany, one being much better than the other. GET THE SCHEOPS.

Anyways, if you want me to decide, no problem. Just though you could take a gander at the setlists from the shows and decide which two interest you. I have all up to MSG.

Take it easy cheesy.

quote:

So, i just commented on yes it is a cover band, but why have a DYLAN cover band?

[Razz]

Uh.... because his is the most bountiful, compelling and consistent catalogue in the history of popular music and one that has been and will forever be tirelessly reinterpreted.

imho, of course! [big Grin]

have heard Mike Daley, Doug Feaver, Tom Yorke, MarCo and scores of others put fine twists on the mighty Dylan's songs... could see myself doin some toe tappin and maybe even shakin up a jig to a well done representation but will unfortunately be seeing a GD cover band that night [big Grin] I hear they may do some Dylan too though...

secondtube, get a show to MarCo pronto so he and his wondergirl repent, pawn a guitar and come back home with us Saturday night!!

yays to playin a song you love your own way... straight cover bands seem to show up in unsightly leopard skin t-shirts and uncomfortably tight pants...

quote:

I don't think it's right to try to sound LIKE someone when trying to cover a song. I think it works out 100x better when you're just yourself singing thier songs.

I did Superstious, Dear Prudence and You Can't Always Get What you Want but never once did I ever sound like Stevie, John or Mick.

Many times when a 'tribute' band ( a band playing ALL of one group/persons music) plays, they try to sound as similar to whom they are copying as possible. ie. DSO, Zen Trick., Caution Jam, etc.

This is a band playing all dylan. This is much different than JGB, or any other band that plays a few dylan tunes.

quote:

Secondtube:

When a band covers dylan, i guess it nice, such as like a rolling stone. Its a new take on the classic.

That is what i had said previous. I love it when a band takes a new path on an old road.

quote:

With all due respect - wouldn't that kinda be like going to a Picasso exhibit wearing a blindfold??

Remember we are talking about the 'cover band' not the real dylan. So, comparing the dylan 'cover band' with a Picasso exhibit isn't really fair. If i had said see Dylan live lyricless, that would have better supported your analogy.

Anyways, this is just silly, i'm going to be in Detroit Saturday night with the Ultimate Cover Band!!!!!! (just joking [big Grin][big Grin][big Grin][big Grin] )

These guys are not trying to sound even remotely like Bob. I saw them at the Zone a few weeks ago and it's this pretty girl singing all the songs, she has a nice voice but it sounds NOTHING like Dylan.

I gotta say though I was very disappointed when I saw them, I guess I expected something a little less groove oriented and a lot more folk. It felt like the whole night was a blowout between that and Spin Cycle covering Sinead O' Conner songs!

quote:

marc by looking at the tour setlists...can u decide which tOO shows you want.....

Anyways, if you want me to decide, no problem. Just though you could take a gander at the setlists from the shows and decide which two interest you. I have all up to MSG.

Dude - I'd rather you decide. You've heard 'em, please just throw me a couple of shows that you think are particularly good so I may have a sample of what they are up to. Feel free to wait until the tour's done. I don't care about setlists - in the grand Grateful Dead tradition, it's not what they play, it's how they play it!!!! I'm keeping an open mind.... I want to hear them.

Thanks though!! Just let me know when I can come see you to get them and I'll swing by. Cheers!

(Now, pls. go download "Idiot Wind" from Dylan's Blood on The Tracks album - actually the whole album is insanely good - for a sample of one of the 20th centuries finest voices and songwriters!!)

quote:

Uh.... because his is the most bountiful, compelling and consistent catalogue in the history of popular music and one that has been and will forever be tirelessly reinterpreted.

imho, of course!

"because his is"

Yes bob's music is very, very beautiful. I've yet to see the Janis Joplin cover band working the back alley's though. I would never put any of bob's amazing accomplishments down, but the last person or band i'd see 'covered'.

I do love dylans music. I went and saw dylan sing it live, and i didn't enjoy myself.

When a band covers dylan, i guess it nice, such as like a rolling stone. Its a new take on the classic.

I think if i was to fully enjoy a EVENING full of dylan COVERED by a band, it would have to be instrumental, no lyrics. I'll see dylan sing, err try to, but no one else needs to sing 'like' dylan. Seeing dylan is like seeing BB, you saw someone who you may not be able to see next time around. But for entertainment value, you better off seeing an up and comer.

mho of course.

(still no bong hit! must stop typing and get to business)

disclaimer: i did not compare the musical integrity of dylan vs joplin, just the mere singing quality and style.

quote:

(Now, pls. go download "Idiot Wind" from Dylan's Blood on The Tracks album - actually the whole album is insanely good - for a sample of one of the 20th centuries finest voices and songwriters!!)

I have heard idiot wind by dylan many a time.

I like Doug singing it cause its not so ,,,,, well ,,,, dylanish.

i'm sorry dude, dylan is one of the greatest song writers ever. but when it comes to performers (i know i only saw one show), i'd take a pass. BUT i will put on the DYLAN idiot wind from my Blood o.t. Tracks. I will have to dust off the cover, (as i would most of my studio cd's) but its going in ...... now.

A Bob Dylan cover band doesn't necessarily mean a Bob Dylan impersonnator...just a band doing his songs. (Which are beautiful.)

I don't think it's right to try to sound LIKE someone when trying to cover a song. I think it works out 100x better when you're just yourself singing thier songs.

I did Superstious, Dear Prudence and You Can't Always Get What you Want but never once did I ever sound like Stevie, John or Mick.

I also do a mean Folsom Prison and my dad never once though Johnny Cash was sitting in his livingroom. [Wink]

quote:

Originally posted by Ms.Huxtable:

Agreed. For me, there's nothing more torturous than listening to a cover band try to perform replicas of the original versions. It's almost always embarassing. Reinterpretation is key.

The Bob Dylan Project is a free wheeling improvisational unit inspired by

The Grateful Dead and featuring the songs of Bob Dylan. Their repertoire is

always growing and includes such tunes as Senor, Black Diamond Bay, Simple

Twist of Fate, and Baby Stop Crying. Through musical improv and song

interpretation, the BDP hopes to pay tribute to Dylan for what he is... The

greatest rock&roll songwriter of our time.

Hiway Freeker has recently relocated to Montreal after a year of gigging and

recording in NYC, the result of which is their newest release, Shark. On

this album, the Freeker explores smooth cowboy blues, ferocious goon rock,

sweet tropical R&B, adult psychedelic pop (to name a few), all the while

embracing the treasured roots tradition. With this deft fusion of musical

genres, the Freeker has created a sound uniquely their own.

When it comes to performing live, anything goes. The Freeker repetoire also

includes material for two alter-ego tribute bands (The Bob Dylan Project and

Estrada) and they may play as one or all three of these bands on any given

night, which makes for great variety while touring, both for the audience

and the band. Their ability to present modern material with a certain

retrospective styling, along with their seamless blend of powerful vocals

and emotionally charged jams, looks to satisfy listeners of all shapes and

ages.

Last night at the Corktown i saw BDP/HF.Being a huge Dylan fan I was eagerly awaiting their interpation of Bob,I wasn,t dissapointed!

I must say the corktown was the wrong venue for these guys,they played the coolest bluesy Dylan I,ve heard in a very long time.

quote:

Bob Dylan cover band doesn't necessarily mean a Bob Dylan impersonnator...just a band doing his songs. (Which are beautiful.)

I agree and the beautiful girl that was singing for BDP/HF (I forget your name...sorry)was doing a unreal job.I love different ways to enjoy Dylan......

Can't wait for Dec.6 @ rancho relaxo,Hiway freeker again.

Some say Dylan is an aquired taste,if thats true thenthats all I taste!!!I'd fly across Canada to see Bob....wait I did in 98 Van Morrison,Bob Dylan,Joni Mitchell well worth the air fare on top of that Bob was playing the Rage the night before the GM place show with Van,Joni.Great show!!(s)

I even pulled out my copy of Tarantula and giving it a read again.Great book.

I say if ya like Dylan then check these cats out!

Great musicians,great people!!

thank you

wishfully

Willy Purple [Wink][big Grin]

22 posts (23 now) and only 3 people showed up? sense of adventure get shy over the weekend? well, actually most of the debaters I either witnessed or heard tell of their proximity in Auburn hills... guess its always a necessary plan to check for BIG shows state's side or even 100 mile local to avoid overlaps...

very looking forward to hearing this band